Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla OEM Carbon Fiber Install Process on non-P AWD White Model 3 (w/pics)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up an OEM Carbon Fiber spoiler:
shimmy_cf_spoiler_10.png

...and wanted to share my install experience, as I dared to install it on my own, on my white model 3 AWD. There are reports of fitment issues, with the edges specifically. In looking at the back of the spoiler, which uses 3M double stick (it's strong!), and doing a test fitment on the car, there is an excess amount of tape on the outer edges of the spoiler. So, as seen in the attached pics (in white):
shimmy_cf_spoiler_05.png
shimmy_cf_spoiler_06.png

I removed the excess tape, to allow for a flush fitment... I also introduced additional 3m double stick tape, where required. That part of the process took a couple hours, using an angled blade and various forms of squeegees.

I also borrowed the tsportline template for their spoiler (all good karma wise since I grabbed their tsportline springs) for alignment purposes... test fitment here
shimmy_cf_spoiler_04.png

and prepped the areas using 70% isopropyl alcohol after a detailed car wash to remove any wax/residue (car is garaged the majority of the time anyway).

A heat gun was used to warm up the tape behind the spoiler before applying
shimmy_cf_spoiler_07.png

the 3m tape is VERY sticky... ensure that you get the correct alignment the first time. Measure twice, cut once as they say... used painters tape to let site overnight

shimmy_cf_spoiler_02.png

Overall, I'm very happy with how it turned out and the way it looks, compared to aftermarket versions, which may not necessarily flow the angles of the trunk... and I prefer sticking with Tesla's matte spoiler look. Hope this helps, cheers.
shimmy_cf_spoiler_09.png
shimmy_cf_spoiler_01.png
shimmy_cf_spoiler_08.png

Shimmy

Thanks Shimmy. im going to use 3m adhesion promoter on the trunk lid and do the same thing with the heat gun this weekend. i buffed off my ceramic coating last night so fingers crossed.

I also picked up a used OEM spoiler and it was a PITA getting own adhesive off. 3M adhesive remover did wonders. My edges started to lift a bit, but stopped. I messed up and didn't align the top edge to the paint so there's a tiny gap for debris. I expect to have to redo it later on.

I found the Tsportline template didn't fit cause their spoiler is shorter than the OEM. Glad it worked out for you.