Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla OEM vs. RallyArmor mud flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I added the Tesla mudflaps as soon as they were available for purchase. By then I had been driving my Model Y for more than 8 months. I had a good idea of where the water, debris and salt was hitting the Model Y. This was all on the front and rear door panels with almost none behind the rear wheels. The rear end of my Model Y got dirty from air and water flowing over the vehicle not from the rear wheels.

Also, the Tesla mudflaps are super easy to install with only the simplest of tools (a flat head screwdriver or a clip removal tool.) The rear mudflaps can be more difficult to install, usually require at least one screw to be installed. I have been very satisfied with the Tesla mudflaps, don't care that the Tesla mud flaps are not available for the rear wheel wells.

I did add the Tesla paint protection film (PPF) for the rear door panels. I had never installed PPF. Installing the PPF requires more prep. You have to clean the area(s) where the PPF will be installed. You need to prepare a spray bottle of slip solution (baby shampoo and water). You need really good lighting when installing the PPF so you can see any air bubbles trapped under the PPF. The bubbles need to be seen so they to be moved out from under the PPF while the adhesive is still wet. I would estimate the Tesla mud flaps took no more than 20 minutes (this included cleaning the area of the wheel wells where the mud flaps go.) The PPF took about an hour once I had gathered all of the supplies, cleaned the door panels.

Last edited:
I want to use the OEM flaps but I know they're going to hit everything here on the road and curb/turn. I already have an oddly-beveled driveway as it is. For now I have the rear PPF but may increase the overall coverage of the area when I get my front PPF/tint/ceramic installed in the coming weeks.

My previous vehicle was a 2017 Chevrolet Volt. The Volt has a front air dam that frequently would scrape on the apron of driveways. The Volt's air dam was designed for this service and never suffered any damage. After I installed the Tesla mud flaps on my Long Range Tesla Model Y I have never noticed the Tesla mud flaps scrape on a speed bump or driveway apron. The mud flap ground clearance on my Tesla is between 2-3/4" and 3-1/8".

I added the Tesla mudflaps as soon as they were available for purchase. By then I had been driving my Model Y for more than 8 months. I had a good idea of where the water, debris and salt was hitting the Model Y. This was all on the front and rear door panels with almost none behind the rear wheels. The rear end of my Model Y got dirty from air and water flowing over the vehicle not from the rear wheels.

Also, the Tesla mudflaps are super easy to install with only the simplest of tools (a flat head screwdriver or a clip removal tool.) The rear mudflaps can be more difficult to install, usually require at least one screw to be installed. I have been very satisfied with the Tesla mudflaps, don't care that the Tesla mud flaps are not available for the rear wheel wells.

I did add the Tesla paint protection film (PPF) for the rear door panels. I had never installed PPF. Installing the PPF requires more prep. You have to clean the area(s) where the PPF will be installed. You need to prepare a spray bottle of slip solution (baby shampoo and water). You need really good lighting when installing the PPF so you can see any air bubbles trapped under the PPF. The bubbles need to be seen so they to be moved out from under the PPF while the adhesive is still wet. I would estimate the Tesla mud flaps took no more than 20 minutes (this included cleaning the area of the wheel wells where the mud flaps go.) The PPF took about an hour once I had gathered all of the supplies, cleaned the door panels.
Rally Armor makes front/rear flaps without the need for drilling or removing any bolts actually. Only downside is the stick out way too much which makes it look like a rally car.

Rally Armor makes front/rear flaps without the need for drilling or removing any bolts actually. Only downside is the stick out way too much which makes it look like a rally car.
The price of the Rally Armor mud flaps for the Model Y, for a set of 4 mud flaps, is more than 4X the price of the Tesla front mud flaps for the Model Y.

My recollection is that the PMY suspension is 1.1" lower than the LRMY suspension.

I installed the Tesla OEM front mudflaps on my LRMY. For some reason the driver's side mud flap has more ground clearance (3-1/8") than the passenger side mud flap (2-3/4")
It's not that much. I looked up the discussion and there's some argument over whether it's 11mm (1.1 cm, which is maybe where that 1.1 came from) or 15mm. Even actual lowering springs only come in at about 25mm (~1"). The Model 3 Performance was lowered by 10mm.

Your car was probably sitting on an incline. The uphill side would be more compressed (less clearance) than the downhill side.

The price of the Rally Armor mud flaps for the Model Y, for a set of 4 mud flaps, is more than 4X the price of the Tesla front mud flaps for the Model Y.
They're substantially nicer, too. Comparing them in hand shows a really big difference. But they're for collecting dirt, so also does that quality matter? I'd say it's up for debate.

There's actually quite a bit of play in how much they stick out. The installation holes let you move them side to side about 0.5". When pushed all the way in, they actually don't stick out all that much. They still stick out a lot more than the Tesla OEM ones (which basically don't stick out at all), but not quite to the point of looking like a rally car (IMO).

• Informative
Reactions: JDEWD250 and jcanoe
5403139A-CBCC-438B-9B30-D818E27476FB.jpeg

I went with the Basenor molded flaps from Amazon. They installed easy, provide great protection and look good too.

View attachment 682676
I went with the Basenor molded flaps from Amazon. They installed easy, provide great protection and look good too.
Basenor fronts will not protect against chips on the rear doors. I ran those for a while and took them off. They don’t come down low enough to stop the fling of rocks off the tires.

• Helpful
Reactions: suprax and GOVA
I’m thinking of Tesla flaps and rear ppf. After a rough winter I’ll see how it goes. Rally is pricey I agree, but how much will they really help in the rear? Do you plan on adding ppf to the front bumper? After only 1,500 I’m starting to get chips here and there. Paint is too soft.

I’m thinking of Tesla flaps and rear ppf. After a rough winter I’ll see how it goes. Rally is pricey I agree, but how much will they really help in the rear? Do you plan on adding ppf to the front bumper? After only 1,500 I’m starting to get chips here and there. Paint is too soft.
I don't plan to install any additional PPF beyond the rear door PPF from Tesla that I have already installed. I don't do much highway driving, after a full year my front bumper, hood are undamaged. I just clean off the dead insects, their blood and guts. I find that Windex works well for bug removal from the bumper, bird droppings on the glass roof, rear hatch. I have been known to use Windex on the painted hood but I always wipe it off right away.

I don't plan to install any additional PPF beyond the rear door PPF from Tesla that I have already installed. I don't do much highway driving, after a full year my front bumper, hood are undamaged. I just clean off the dead insects, their blood and guts. I find that Windex works well for bug removal from the bumper, bird droppings on the glass roof, rear hatch. I have been known to use Windex on the painted hood but I always wipe it off right away.
Your one of a very few that doesn’t have a single chip on the bumper. Wow

I've been reading through tons of posts on mud flaps as I'm waiting on my EDD (and ultimate delivery), and have gone back and forth. I've looked at the Tesla flaps but have read about them hanging low and potentially scraping, but seem they are designed to truly stop the flying debris. But then the other ones Rally look nice but are really expensive. Then there are the other ones on Amazon like Basenor (or similar, there are a lot) that also don't hang as low as the Tesla ones, but look nicer, but it seems that effectiveness of any flaps is very subjective, and rear installs seem like they can be a huge hassle with the bolt.

So I'm struggling a bit as I read through everything on which ones to go with.

First world problem; in my day (back in 2020) there were no mud flaps for the Model Y except for one source in Canada or else you made your own mud flaps or went without mud flaps.

I have the Tesla front mud flaps and in my experience they don't scrape. If the Tesla mud flaps do scrape one time in a hundred it won't matter. The RA mudflaps would probably scrape too going over the same speed bump or entering a steep driveway. You could lose a mud flap due to a road hazard and the mud flap could be easily replaced.

Contact your sales advisor and find out if Tesla is installing mud flaps on new Model Y vehicles sold in Georgia. In some states this is the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: cancoi