Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla OEM vs. RallyArmor mud flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm starting to get some chips and damage to the rear fenders of my Model Y, so was reading through all of the mud flap threads here. There are quite a few of them, and I wanted to get an idea of which flaps to buy. My main stipulation is that they not be the moulded kind that sit over the fender garnish, because I've had two vehicles in the past ruined by ones like that. Those flaps rub on the garnish if they ever touch the ground and over time damaged the finish. So I knew I wanted one of the flat ones in case I needed to take them off or switch flaps in the future.

I originally bought the ZL1 Addons flaps, but just as they arrived I saw a post that an owner had them and still got significant damage. This basically left two options: Tesla's OEM flaps, and RallyArmor. Today I compared those two. The RallyArmor flaps are very nice, but I absolutely hate the giant logo. Fortunately I found that it's simply painted on and some acetone-based nail polish remover and some aggressive rubbing takes it right off with no damage whatsoever (see pics).

The Tesla flaps:
  • Are very slightly moulded, but not enough to rub on or come up around the outer garnish. The garnish won't be ruined over time like the ones that wrap around and rub. This is great.
  • They sit very low to the ground, and don't come up very high.
  • They match the design of the car really well.
  • Installs with 2 new plastic press-in rivets. You can install them in less than 10 minutes.
The RallyArmor flaps:
  • Sit quite a bit further off the ground. Maybe 1.5" at the lowest point. It was hard to get a good comparative measurement because no tapes I could find would stick to the RA flaps to test fit and measure. They probably won't rub over every little bump like the OEM ones..
  • Stick out to the side a bit further.
  • Look ok (with the logo removed). They're shiny instead of matte, which I would have preferred, but otherwise look and feel great.
  • Have a much more complex install with friction clips and screw-in rivets.
Given the easier install, I tried out the Tesla flaps first and will leave them installed for awhile. I couldn't even get up my small driveway curb with the Tesla ones (see pics). If I can't figure out a way to make them stop scraping, I'll switch to the RallyArmor flaps.

Attachments

• IMG_3748.jpg
    IMG_3748.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 1,273
  • IMG_3749.jpg
    IMG_3749.jpg
    486.4 KB · Views: 827
  • IMG_3750.jpg
    IMG_3750.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 814
  • IMG_3751.jpg
    IMG_3751.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 780
  • IMG_3756.jpg
    IMG_3756.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 773
  • IMG_3755.jpg
    IMG_3755.jpg
    477.9 KB · Views: 762
  • IMG_3752.jpg
    IMG_3752.jpg
    549.2 KB · Views: 773
  • IMG_3753.jpg
    IMG_3753.jpg
    455.3 KB · Views: 750
  • IMG_3754.jpg
    IMG_3754.jpg
    513.8 KB · Views: 1,052
Why are you worried about them scrapping? Does it make a horrible noise or something?

Thanks for the comparison,

Keith
A couple reasons. Yes, it does make a pretty bad noise. Over time the bottom might get pretty badly scraped up and ugly. The bending puts pressure on the clips and over time they might fail. Less than ideal, but not critical.

On the moulded designs the scraping is what might cause rubbing and damage to the garnish, but I wouldn’t expect either of these to have trouble with that.

Scissors. Yep. Just scissors ✂️!
Right? I also have a laser cutter and was tempted to throw the Tesla ones in, but I couldn’t figure out what they’re made of. There’s actually two materials: the bottom is very flexible, but the part that mounts to the wheel well is rigid and it changes halfway down.

I’m pretty sure a sturdy pair of scissors would cut that flexible part, I’m just not sure I could cut a nice-looking line.

I'm starting to get some chips and damage to the rear fenders of my Model Y, so was reading through all of the mud flap threads here. There are quite a few of them, and I wanted to get an idea of which flaps to buy. My main stipulation is that they not be the moulded kind that sit over the fender garnish, because I've had two vehicles in the past ruined by ones like that. Those flaps rub on the garnish if they ever touch the ground and over time damaged the finish. So I knew I wanted one of the flat ones in case I needed to take them off or switch flaps in the future.

I originally bought the ZL1 Addons flaps, but just as they arrived I saw a post that an owner had them and still got significant damage. This basically left two options: Tesla's OEM flaps, and RallyArmor. Today I compared those two. The RallyArmor flaps are very nice, but I absolutely hate the giant logo. Fortunately I found that it's simply painted on and some acetone-based nail polish remover and some aggressive rubbing takes it right off with no damage whatsoever (see pics).

The Tesla flaps:
  • Are very slightly moulded, but not enough to rub on or come up around the outer garnish. The garnish won't be ruined over time like the ones that wrap around and rub. This is great.
  • Installs with 2 new plastic press-in rivets. You can install them in less than 10 minutes.
The RallyArmor flaps:
  • Sit quite a bit further off the ground. Maybe 1.5" at the lowest point. It was hard to get a good comparative measurement because no tapes I could find would stick to the RA flaps to test fit and measure. They probably won't rub over every little bump like the OEM ones..
  • Look ok (with the logo removed). They're shiny instead of matte, which I would have preferred, but otherwise look and feel great.
Given the easier install, I tried out the Tesla flaps first and will leave them installed for awhile. I couldn't even get up my small driveway curb with the Tesla ones (see pics). If I can't figure out a way to make them stop scraping, I'll switch to the RallyArmor flaps.
Tesla will install Tesla front mud flaps free of charge with mobile service on your app. You must have the parts in hand first.
As yet another reason to go with the OEM mud flaps.
We agree that they are closer to the ground than some might like, but that can be a good early warning sound of MY bottom and ground too close.
:)

Correct, the pics were where they scrape on the curb on the way up. The Performance lowers the suspension by 1cm or less (I forget the exact amount). There's 2.125" of clearance from the bottom of the flap to the ground.

I've had these on about a week and a half now. They scrap over basically every curb and speed bump, but not over speed humps. Despite A LOT of daily scraping, the flaps still look pretty good visually (plastic doesn't appear to be scraping off) and the fit is a touch looser but still very tight. I'll probably give them a couple more weeks and see how they go.

You can see how and where Tesla is attacking the issue here. It's pretty clear they know the rocks are being flung from the tire via the bottom of the tire and not the sides as much. Both Rally Armor and ZL1 Addons attack the issue of the rocks flying off the leading edge which is more of an issue in performance driving on track vs. standard street commuting. The guards themselves dragging on the ground seem like a massive oversight from Tesla. But overall Tesla's setup is more of a mud flap vs being a rock guard.

The Tesla flaps:
The RallyArmor flaps:
Out of curiosity why didn’t you try EVMudFlaps ?

Correct, the pics were where they scrape on the curb on the way up. The Performance lowers the suspension by 1cm or less (I forget the exact amount). There's 2.125" of clearance from the bottom of the flap to the ground.

I've had these on about a week and a half now. They scrap over basically every curb and speed bump, but not over speed humps. Despite A LOT of daily scraping, the flaps still look pretty good visually (plastic doesn't appear to be scraping off) and the fit is a touch looser but still very tight. I'll probably give them a couple more weeks and see how they go.
My recollection is that the PMY suspension is 1.1" lower than the LRMY suspension.

I installed the Tesla OEM front mudflaps on my LRMY. For some reason the driver's side mud flap has more ground clearance (3-1/8") than the passenger side mud flap (2-3/4")

Reactions: suprax
My recollection is that the PMY suspension is 1.1" lower than the LRMY suspension.

I installed the Tesla OEM front mudflaps on my LRMY. For some reason the driver's side mud flap has more ground clearance (3-1/8") than the passenger side mud flap (2-3/4")
What was your reasoning of going with front only flaps ?

Reactions: cancoi