Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Offer electric frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone have any problems figuring it out from the install video? It seemed a bit dark, but I haven’t tried the install yet.

The video by Tesla DIY person is 80% okay. He mumbles and doesn't explain clearly when it comes to the lock mechanism, wiring and where to put the unit and motor.

I did the install yesterday myself using the video and manual and it took over 4 hours.

I installed my kit yesterday and took ~3 hours, mostly watching the videos. I used the Tesla DIY video and the Frugal Tesla Guy (he goes more in depth with the cable attachments). I used the installation guide for pictures and reference. The main issue I had was the strut brackets didn't sit flush on the panels. I ended up just screwing it in really tight anyway and now my hood sits up a bit. I found it easier to put the new struts in on the bottom first, then using a clamp between the panel and the top strut (use a cloth so you don't scratch the paint) as leverage to push in the top strut.

I installed my kit yesterday and took ~3 hours, mostly watching the videos. I used the Tesla DIY video and the Frugal Tesla Guy (he goes more in depth with the cable attachments). I used the installation guide for pictures and reference. The main issue I had was the strut brackets didn't sit flush on the panels. I ended up just screwing it in really tight anyway and now my hood sits up a bit. I found it easier to put the new struts in on the bottom first, then using a clamp between the panel and the top strut (use a cloth so you don't scratch the paint) as leverage to push in the top strut.
If you hood sits high, made sure the hood latch was in the lowest mount position.

Reactions: ModelX and Proto
I'm in the middle of installing mine. The hood lowers, but doesn't get caught by the lowering mechanism. I can "help it out" by giving a little pressure and then it goes all the way. Chatting with TelsaOffer now about it. Hopefully they can help fix it quickly.

Turns out that despite having taped everything off, so I could align the latching mechanism correctly, it needed to be adjusted slightly to the left. After that, it worked perfectly.
I too had to move it ever so slightly (up in my case). Not hard to do, since you can do it with the frunk liner installed, by just removing the open button panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.