Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Offer frunk kit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cardo

Sep 22, 2020
Surrey, UK
I’m considering getting the Tesla Offer frunk kit for my 2021 M3. When I initially bought the car, I had expected to use the frunk a lot more, but I’ve realised needing to push down on it with both hands to close it is a faff and leaves big handprints on it and I’m concerned about scratching the bonnet with my wedding ring, so I’d like to get this motorised.

Has anyone in the UK recently bought this kit? I’m pretty handy at DIY, so should be ok fitting it myself, so I’m more so wondering about sourcing the kit. Tesla Offer offer this directly from their site, but it’s $549 plus any import duties, so likely an extra 20% on top (works out at £475ish at current exchange rates). I can’t seem to find anywhere else that supplies this kit locally or at a more resonable price. I’ve had a look at the Hansshow kit, but it doesn’t seem to be rated quite so highly, however it is available locally for around £350, so considerably cheaper.

Looks great, I’d be interested in getting one of these too. But I wonder what the impact is on Tesla warranty?
This is purely anecdotal, but as long as what you fit isn't the contributing cause of a warranty issue, then you're fine. The two parts that may be contentious would be power source and the CAN signal. The kits are no longer intrusive though, so it would likely be if either of those were actively damaged in the process.

That being said, if you're unsure, don't risk it.

They could arguably dispute a prematurely drained 12v battery, I guess. Other than that since these kits don't actually replace any existing functionality I imagine they wouldn't have an issue? That said if the frunk/trunk somehow got locked shut and one of these kits were installed I imagine you'd have to pay for rectification work.

Reactions: doats1
My M3LR decided not to play nice with a Hansshow Trunk install and threw up 12v errors and subsequently would not go to sleep.
All the usual reboots didn't fix anything!
Even when disconnected the fault message and non-sleeping stuck needing a Service Centre visit to fix however Tesla insisted the kit must be fully removed prior to service or they wouldn't fix anything. Tesla (Crawley) kept it for four days to "monitor it" and gave me an old Model S loaner then let me collect it with no assurance of a re-occurance and charged me £170 for "the fix". :(

The Hansshow kit was finally re-installed with no further errors by our very own @Mr H who was determined it was going to work properly or else (it would get a serious talking to!). Been working perfectly since then. :)

Considering a Frunk kit but $500 is a bit much right now. Our @Glan gluaisne had a frunk kit on offer in sales and wants but has since disappeared off the face of the forum :(

Reactions: Mr H
Frunk is easy to fit, helps if there's two of you. My wife and I fitted it in about 2hrs having never taken anything off the car before, just followed the youtube vid and pausing when needed. Only thing altered on the car is the struts. Find out by accident you can also close the frunk as normal with the power struts without using the button with no flex of the hood or damage.

• Informative
Reactions: Cardo and Durzel
I’m considering getting the Tesla Offer frunk kit for my 2021 M3. When I initially bought the car, I had expected to use the frunk a lot more, but I’ve realised needing to push down on it with both hands to close it is a faff and leaves big handprints on it and I’m concerned about scratching the bonnet with my wedding ring, so I’d like to get this motorised.

Has anyone in the UK recently bought this kit? I’m pretty handy at DIY, so should be ok fitting it myself, so I’m more so wondering about sourcing the kit. Tesla Offer offer this directly from their site, but it’s $549 plus any import duties, so likely an extra 20% on top (works out at £475ish at current exchange rates). I can’t seem to find anywhere else that supplies this kit locally or at a more resonable price. I’ve had a look at the Hansshow kit, but it doesn’t seem to be rated quite so highly, however it is available locally for around £350, so considerably cheaper.
I would wait. The current set of mats are slightly to large for the front with its reduced size in the 2021 M3

I dont have experience of the Tesla offer kit. I do have the Hannshow one installed (both boot and frunk) by the amazing Mr. H.
Two months ago my front motor died. That killed the 12V battery too. None of the Tesla representatives mentioned anything about the kit while car was under repair. After the car was shorted out by the SC and went to pick it up I checked that the kit was still functional in front of the Tesla employee. All was done under warranty; not a single word about it.
Kit is fine and allows me to use frunk every day for laptop bag etc.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned you could replace the spring in the frunk which closes it a lot easier (thread here with the specifics - original thread here for details). Coupled with the aftermarket struts, you've got yourself a semi-automatic(?) frunk which is easier to close. Struts help it open up all the way and the spring aid it to close effortlessly - I use my frunk a lot and I am able to close it one-handed :)

An inexpensive mod IMO which you could do prior to taking the plunge on the more expensive kits if you're still unsatisfied? Just my two cents.

Out of curiosity. Can you elaborate on what caused the water ingress on the wiring loom.
What specifically failed that was allowing water to get in ?
Thanks.
This thread here should explain it for you - essentially it was a connector in the steering loom which apparently can suffer from water ingress (bad weather, puddles etc). Tesla started to apply sealant when you take it in for any work at the SC.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned you could replace the spring in the frunk which closes it a lot easier (thread here with the specifics - original thread here for details). Coupled with the aftermarket struts, you've got yourself a semi-automatic(?) frunk which is easier to close. Struts help it open up all the way and the spring aid it to close effortlessly - I use my frunk a lot and I am able to close it one-handed :)

An inexpensive mod IMO which you could do prior to taking the plunge on the more expensive kits if you're still unsatisfied? Just my two cents.

I did the strut and spring thing (ooh - sounds like a 70's funk move:cool:) on my LR, the spring certainly allowed for one handed closing, I had mixed success with the efficacy of the struts, in the cold they would generally not lift without some help - clearly anything fitted to a Tesla catches the Tesla "cold" :rolleyes: (yes I know, all EV's are affected by cold).

Having applied my best man maths, I’ve managed to somehow get this purchased approved. Tesla Offer provided a 5% discount code (better than a kick in the teeth, I s’pose!) and the wife says as it’s a company car she’ll expense it through the company, so will be able to offset any import tax we get hit with.

I’ll provide an update, once I have one!

I did the strut and spring thing (ooh - sounds like a 70's funk move:cool:) on my LR, the spring certainly allowed for one handed closing, I had mixed success with the efficacy of the struts, in the cold they would generally not lift without some help - clearly anything fitted to a Tesla catches the Tesla "cold" :rolleyes: (yes I know, all EV's are affected by cold).
Have you tried opening the frunk when on the move (I know it sounds daft, but could be accidentally) now you've fitted the aftermarket self opening springs, or is the action disabled?
If not disabled it could be catastrophically dangerous!