Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Offer Model 3/Y Frunk Group Buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upload_2021-1-27_16-49-47.jpeg

Installed mine last night. I didn't have a pick tool and it was impossible to remove the struts. Picked up a 90 degree pick tool from harbor freight and got them off in just a couple mins. The rest is just plugging in connectors. Doing it for the first time sucks and can be intimidating. Once you finish you realize it is easy and can knock another one out in probably 30mins.

Need help!

Like a dummy, I connected the new strut on the driver side upside down. Anyone have any ideas about how to get the strut off the lower ball joint? I didn't use a pick took to get the OEM ball joints off. I just disconnected the top and then loosened the 13mm bolt with a wrench and then hand loosened.

Also, does anyone else have welds in the way of the new ball joint plate sitting flush against the inside?

Installed mine last night. I didn't have a pick tool and it was impossible to remove the struts. Picked up a 90 degree pick tool from harbor freight and got them off in just a couple mins. The rest is just plugging in connectors. Doing it for the first time sucks and can be intimidating. Once you finish you realize it is easy and can knock another one out in probably 30mins.

Thanks. Waiting to install is paying off for me with all the feedback here... Not sure how much I would save by traveling to Harbor Freight to get one of these, so I will just pop by my local Home Depot instead. HR is at least 1 hour drive to and from for me, HD is 5 minutes and a set of 4 tools is only $7 at HD.

Does the method using a flat head screw driver shown in the Electrified Garage video not work? Is the pick tool really necessary?

Need help!

Like a dummy, I connected the new strut on the driver side upside down. Anyone have any ideas about how to get the strut off the lower ball joint?

OK...I got a pick tool and still having a really rough time getting the strut off because of the really tight space on the driver side. Do you guys think it matters which direction the strut is oriented? Assuming I do proper cable management so it doesn't get pinched, that is.

I wouldn’t recommend leaving the strut upside down.

Assuming you are able to remove the top connection first - maybe easier to remove the bolt down below then release the strup when not in the tight space.

If you cannot remove the bolt, I would try using the open end of a wrench to push the strut off the ball, so the wrench is against the metal straddling the ball used as a lever to push the strut off the ball.078047EA-58ED-479C-B73A-8263E4F4BD5A.jpeg
@jwalther420

Last edited:
OK...I got a pick tool and still having a really rough time getting the strut off because of the really tight space on the driver side. Do you guys think it matters which direction the strut is oriented? Assuming I do proper cable management so it doesn't get pinched, that is.
I didn't bother using the pick tool on the bottom, I took the bolt off completely using a 1/2 wrench.

I wouldn’t recommend leaving the strut upside down.

Assuming you are able to remove the top connection first - maybe easier to remove the bolt down below then release the strup when not in the tight space.

If you cannot remove the bolt, I would try using the open end of a wrench to push the strut off the ball, so the wrench is against the metal straddling the ball used as a lever to push the strut off the ball.View attachment 631649
@jwalther420

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, the strut blocks the bolt head so you can't get in there to loosen it. I'll give the wrench a try to leverage but those things seem to REALLY be on there.

Is there a technical reason they can't be upside down? Seems like a piston should work either way.