Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Offer Model 3/Y Frunk Group Buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine was exactly like yours.

I just adjusted the locking cable so it had minimal slack. Then locked it down with those screws. Not sure the size of those bolts. Just used my needle nose pliers. Make sure the latch is in the open position.

69C7BAB5-F00A-4122-9CF1-B380AB672EBF.jpeg

Last edited:
Can anyone explain the reason behind the loose connection on the latch bracket? I've seen it in several pics (mine is also that way) and even in the video, it was installed loose. Did yours come this way.

View attachment 634210
You are not meant to leave the adjuster that loose. In the EG video, the tech actually says to place the latch and the pull cable in their final places and then take the latch back off and adjust the tension of the lock nuts. In the FTG video, they actually show the final adjust locations of the nuts with the slack taken out, but he does not talk about it.

*EDIT* Wreckz beat me to it! I believe his photo is the correct adjustment. If i remember correctly, both adjusting screws are 12mm.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2101Guy
I brought my car in to show them the broken clip. They’re sending a mobile tech out to replace it.
Mobile tech came out today and replaced both clips (I'd only broken one) with newer versions that don't wiggle as much. He saw the Tesla Offer working and was impressed I'd installed it myself, but warned that if I had any trouble with the frunk lid at all, I should swap it out before bringing it in the SC. I assume any trouble I have will be directly related to the Tesla Offer or my install, so I'm not too worried about that.

Had both of mine installed today. The MARK 4.0 on the Y took them 1 1/2 hours and the MARK 3.0 on my 2019 Model 3 took them 45 minutes. They said the Model 3 was easier because the struts were so easy to take out as compared to the Y.

Installed the 3.0 in my M3P today. The only advice I would give is to make sure you mount the control box on that top bracket as close to the windshield as possible. I had it mounted too far forward and could not install the Frunk liner. Had to redo a bunch of zip ties to move it back. To get the emergency cable through, I used a zip tie and pushed it in from the outside and then taped the cable to it and pulled it back through. Other than that, everything was very easy. Probably took 2 hours. Model Y tomorrow.......

Installed it in the Y today. System is working but I am having one small issue. The hood comes down but the latch is not grabbing it and pulling it closed. If I put a little pressure on the hood it will grab it and pull it closed. I’m thinking I might need to raise the latch. Have a question out to tech support. Anyone run into this?

Installed it in the Y today. System is working but I am having one small issue. The hood comes down but the latch is not grabbing it and pulling it closed. If I put a little pressure on the hood it will grab it and pull it closed. I’m thinking I might need to raise the latch. Have a question out to tech support. Anyone run into this?
I feel like you didn't align the latch correctly during the re-install. Try making some minor adjustments to the front center latch mechanism and it should work...

Someone else had this issue last week. Sounds like they needed to reset the control module? Look back a page or two.

I adjusted the locking cable and it seems to be working fine. My last thoughts: Getting the strut on the driver’s side was an absolute nightmare. As a final resort, I have a screw driver that is about 2 feet long. I used it to leverage the ball joint against the frame and was able to snap it on. Getting leverage in there is almost impossible.

I adjusted the locking cable and it seems to be working fine. My last thoughts: Getting the strut on the driver’s side was an absolute nightmare. As a final resort, I have a screw driver that is about 2 feet long. I used it to leverage the ball joint against the frame and was able to snap it on. Getting leverage in there is almost impossible.

That was my major issue, not easy to do with my big hands that got torn up a lot. My left hand and forearm was much worse than my right, due to that driver's side install, super tight for me. This morning is the first time they look normal again, only a few remnants of scratches remaining. I should have paid the neighbor's kid to borrow his smaller hands to do that part.

BTW, any idea how many kits TO finally sold via the discount you facilitated?

I had no issue popping the new one back on. I'm not sure why yours was so difficult. Maybe a bit of lube would do the trick?

Last edited:
Only issue I’m having is the frunk lid (when closing) comes all the way down and sits on top of the latch but doesn’t actually seat itself down into the final position, I have to manually push it down the rest of the way. Anyone else have this problem or the solution to it?

To follow up, I was finally able to work on this a bit this morning but none of the suggestions solved the problem. I eventually contacted TO via WhatsApp and Raymond tried to help me troubleshoot the problem, but nothing was working, even updating the unit’s firmware. He said he’s not run into this problem before so he’s going to talk to his engineer and they may have to send me a new control unit.

Yeah it’s centered fine. But the latch motor isn’t even engaging when trying to close.

silly question (only because I was dumb enough to miss this part at one point during many latch adjustment tried on my S) but you do have your plug that plugs into your latch, fully seated, correct? And you also tried pressing the control unit button twice in succession to reset the latch?

Last edited: