Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Offer Model 3/Y Frunk Group Buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Already quoted them Magnuson-Moss. They don't give a $#it. The stress from this is starting to make me and my wife ill. When I installed it, I moved the hood up and down several times without power and not once was there enough resistance to cause an issue. Service Manager claims that even if you slam the hood it won't bend, yet the frunk opener will bend it.
Sounds like you're on the right path with the lawyer, your service center is full of it. Also, curious which service center you are dealing with...mostly so I can avoid them.

Sounds like you're on the right path with the lawyer, your service center is full of it. Also, curious which service center you are dealing with...mostly so I can avoid them.
Don't want to name the service center just yet publicly. I'm trying to remain restrained right now and once this is all over I'll have no reservations about naming them. You can always DM me if you really want to know.

Are there any signs underneath the hood of something having been trapped under it, e.g. scratches or creases or anything?

Hopefully you get somewhere with legal action. I don't know much about the Magnuson-Moss Act (I'm in the UK) but could Tesla not simply say that "powered frunks" are not a feature of Model 3/Ys, "the hood is not rated with powered operation in mind", etc? I can see how modifications that replace OEM parts would be covered by this protection.

Still if it turns out that the aftermarket part was itself defective or wasn’t installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

Seems like the onus would be on Tesla to prove that the specific modification bent the hood?

Has anyone else had an issue where the button inside the frunk no longer closes it?

I can open and close the frunk with my phone app and the screen inside. But the button inside the frunk no longer does anything (it does light up, so it's plugged in). It used to work and I don't know exactly when it stopped, but I used it a few days ago just fine. I did get an update two days ago to 2021.4.15 and I'm wondering if that broke the functionality.

Also, do we have to contact support to request an updated module like shown above? Is that considered the new 4.1 version?

ETA: Just went out to test again after it sat all night. Opened the frunk with my phone and was able to close the frunk with the button inside one time. After that, it stopped working again. So either my module is going out or the recent update changed something.
Just a note that mine seems to be working ok now. Only thing I did was unplug the module and plug it back in again. Maybe it just needed a full power down to reset it.

Are there any signs underneath the hood of something having been trapped under it, e.g. scratches or creases or anything?

Hopefully you get somewhere with legal action. I don't know much about the Magnuson-Moss Act (I'm in the UK) but could Tesla not simply say that "powered frunks" are not a feature of Model 3/Ys, "the hood is not rated with powered operation in mind", etc? I can see how modifications that replace OEM parts would be covered by this protection.

Seems like the onus would be on Tesla to prove that the specific modification bent the hood?
There doesn't seem to be any scratches on the underside, but there were scratches on the top side of the hood. The way it is curved up suggests the hood was closed on something non-marking. It's virtually impossible for it to bend in the manner that it did without there being something underneath. Irrespective of whether it's a Tesla approved accessory, Tesla need to prove that the frunk opener caused the damage under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act and they have failed to do so thus far.

The frunk is soft closing and there is not enough downward movement when it closes for it to cause a bend like that and on just one side only. My own belief is that someone f'ed up badly and then tried to cover it up, hence the scratches on the top side. The service center claim the scratches on the top side are swirl marks from washing. Since I've never washed the car in a swirling manner, they were not from me. The service center are providing "goodwill" by having the swirling marks polished out, yet won't replace the hood.

My colleagues at work saw the car after the damage and they all believe that someone somewhere is trying to cover up for the damage they have caused. How much of a coincidence is it that all the damage caused seems to have been wherever the "technician" worked and the bend is also on the same side that he adjusted the fender. Isn't it also strange that the frunk opens and closes perfectly as it did before the damage? The struts are just not long enough to reach the damage point under the hood and there is nothing related to the frunk opener anywhere near that region.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Well, I spoke too soon, It's working sporadically again. I even updated the firmware on it and still no luck.

@allen514, any response from TO?
I did the same, unplug and left it overnight, plugged it in the morning and it was working then stopped. It was working sporadically but now nothing. We got used to pulling down on the latch to close, but would be nice to use the button.

Please let me know if you get a response from TO. Thank you!!

I did the same, unplug and left it overnight, plugged it in the morning and it was working then stopped. It was working sporadically but now nothing. We got used to pulling down on the latch to close, but would be nice to use the button.

Please let me know if you get a response from TO. Thank you!!
I ended up having a new updated unit sent to me along with a new motor latch as I was having issues with the latch releasing the hood and also closing and locking. It would work occasionally, but replacement parts have been working flawlessly for past month or so.

• Informative
Reactions: sakul2agi
Well, I spoke too soon, It's working sporadically again. I even updated the firmware on it and still no luck.

@allen514, any response from TO?
Raymond hasn't reply, I am sending him another email with a new problem just surfaced....

Car is parked and the frunk on the screen is opening and closing rapidly, the actual frunk is closed. The powered frunk is still functional, open and close just fine from the screen...

IMG_2716.MOV

Raymond hasn't reply, I am sending him another email with a new problem just surfaced....

Car is parked and the frunk on the screen is opening and closing rapidly, the actual frunk is closed. The powered frunk is still functional, open and close just fine from the screen...

IMG_2716.MOV
This happens when you have a bad ground (-). Make sure your ground wire is bolted on tight to the chassis and all the contact points are clean. If that doesn't work, I'd try to connect the ground wire of the unit to the negative terminal of the 12V battery.

Reactions: 2101Guy
I sent a telegram message to Raymond and he replied. He said I was the third person who's had this issue.

They think it's an OEM issue with a recent update. He asked a few questions and gave some suggestions to test it out, but I wasn't clear on what he was requesting. I sent him a response to clarify and haven't heard back. So for now, it doesn't look like there's anything TO can do until they figure out what exactly is causing it.

Finally got the car back today. Had it delivered to another service center closer to work. Pi$$ poor job on the repairs 😡. Returned with a lot more scratches 🤬🤬🤬. Went with 3 work colleagues to pick the car up. Examination of the hood clearly indicates it was closed on something as there is a bend in the rib. Service Center is escalating this as they agree the car should never have been returned like this. Frunk opener working as designed.