Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Tesla Offer" Models X (& S, 3, & Y) Powered Frunk Hood Group Buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any news?
I'm interested on trunk & frunk for Model 3.

Yes. Unfortunately, Tesla Offer is not providing a discount larger than 5% right now.

I have chatted with Tesla Offer a few times about the Mark 3.0 versus Mark 4.0 versions. Mark 4.0 appears to be offered for all Model Ys, newer Model 3s, and February 2021+ Model Ss and Xs (but was o-o-s last time I looked). My Model X is an official 2021, but it is pre-refresh. I am unclear about whether February 2021 and newer cars (e.g., refresh Model Ss and Xs) are mechanically different (in the latch?) and require a Mark 4 device that will not work for earlier versions. If not mechanically different, then I am wondering if I can wait to get a Mark 4.0, with the addition closure safety feature. Not sure why all models and years can't get the Mark 4.0? (Maybe because they have an existing inventory of Mark 3.0 to dispose of?)

Reactions: speedyranger74
Someone (FTG on YouTube?) said that the Tesla Offer / Amp Tech device is the closest thing (in quality and function) to a theoretical Tesla factory frunk-device we can get right now. I was hoping Tesla would offer a powered frunk hood with the refresh Models S and X, but no.

I agree. Hansshow has too many negative comments, both for its frunk device, but also for other electronic accessories and for its customer service.

Someone (FTG on YouTube?) said that the Tesla Offer / Amp Tech device is the closest thing (in quality and function) to a theoretical Tesla factory frunk-device we can get right now. I was hoping Tesla would offer a powered frunk hood with the refresh Models S and X, but no.

I agree. Hansshow has too many negative comments, both for its frunk device, but also for other electronic accessories and for its customer service.

The only thing I would comment is that while their customer service is excellent, their lack of instructions is a bit frustrating. They do update their products often, which is good; but I spent a good amount of time trying to figure out which new parts correspond to the parts in their installation video.

For anyone installing and is time sensitive to using their cars, try to plan out your matches/questions prior to installing. Especially one the east coast given the time difference, you could spend days working with them as you're either sleeping or they are.

Once that's figured out, I could probably do an install in about 30min to 60 min. But I spent hours going...is this...that?

Reactions: GaryBowler
The only thing I would comment is that while their customer service is excellent, their lack of instructions is a bit frustrating. They do update their products often, which is good; but I spent a good amount of time trying to figure out which new parts correspond to the parts in their installation video.

For anyone installing and is time sensitive to using their cars, try to plan out your matches/questions prior to installing. Especially one the east coast given the time difference, you could spend days working with them as you're either sleeping or they are.

Once that's figured out, I could probably do an install in about 30min to 60 min. But I spent hours going...is this...that?

I can't disagree.

It is difficult at times dealing with any overseas companies (for example due to time, language, and cultural differences). But from what I can see in the videos, Hong Kong seems pretty similar to, say, San Francisco.

Once I started using WhatsApp, I found that Tesla Offer (especially Warren) responded pretty quickly. As you said, we have to be aware of the time difference.

Another advantage the Tesla Offer frunk device has is the business relationship Tesla Offer has with Amp tech, a German company. If the Tesla Offer frunk-hood device is a superior product--and so far it appears that it is--it may be due in part to a healthy dose of German engineering.

As to installation, I have not tackled it yet. So take what I say with a grain of salt. But I have reviewed the videos and installation documents. I suggest:
  • Either spend (~$200) to have the device installed quickly and professionally by someone with specific experience with the Tesla Offer frunk product and your Tesla model.
  • Or if you self-install, do not depend on just one installation-information source. Instead, (a) view at least two (preferably more) online videos beforehand for installation on your Tesla model and (b) review at least two installation manuals--the Tesla Offer manual and the corresponding Amp Tech manual. The AT manuals are in German, but there are better photographs and key language can easily be translated using Google or other software.
  • My guess is that key installation points include (a) proper tightening of all hardware (maybe using removable Lock-tite to prevent later loosening?), (b) proper adjustment of the latch cable housing (just like on a bike brake cable), (c) correct wiring connections, and (d) grade-A, weatherproof cable and wire routing and securement (to prevent later shorts and disconnects).
As to your specific issue--recognizing new parts, check out the correct Amp Tech manual and video. I think the images can be better.

As to installation, I have not tackled it yet. So take what I say with a grain of salt. But I have reviewed the videos and installation documents. I suggest:
  • Either spend (~$200) to have the device installed quickly and professionally by someone with specific experience with the Tesla Offer frunk product and your Tesla model.
  • Or if you self-install, do not depend on just one installation-information source. Instead, (a) view at least two (preferably more) online videos beforehand for installation on your Tesla model and (b) review at least two installation manuals--the Tesla Offer manual and the corresponding Amp Tech manual. The AT manuals are in German, but there are better photographs and key language can easily be translated using Google or other software.
  • My guess is that key installation points include (a) proper tightening of all hardware (maybe using removable Lock-tite to prevent later loosening?), (b) proper adjustment of the latch cable housing (just like on a bike brake cable), (c) correct wiring connections, and (d) grade-A, weatherproof cable and wire routing and securement (to prevent later shorts and disconnects).
As to your specific issue--recognizing new parts, check out the correct Amp Tech manual and video. I think the images can be better.

It's really not a bad install at all. I've pulled apart various parts of the Tesla so far - and broken a decent amount of clips. Whether it's the Tesla X frunk, S trunk, or frunk it's a straightforward install with minimal chance of mess up (with the X being by far the easiest).

For anyone wondering, I would say if you're the type that's comfortable with an oil change and spark plug change, you'll be fine. If you don't own a 10mm socket or wrench (and not because you lost it from your set) then this probably isn't the project to do on your own. On a 1-10 DIY difficulty scale, I'd give this a 3 out of 10. There's no splicing, not cutting, no drilling, basic hand tools - easy peasy.

My specific "issue" is resolved. It took a little bit extra to match, but I'm finished with my install. FWIW, it's a YMMV. The top selling models are much better and much more frequently updated. The Model S power trunk as an example doesn't have instructions on Amp Tech either. Just checked and it returns a 404 but for other models there is.

New Group Buy!

Send me a private message with your email if you are interested in getting in this group buy. The team at Tesla Offer has graciously offered 20% off if we get 25 orders. This is good for electric tailgate, electric frunk, soft closing doors or auto present door handles.

Is the group buy still on? I am interested for my Y. Thanks.

Since the latest group buy window closed I recommend that you contact "Warren" in Hong Kong at Tesla Offer directly (using WhatsApp software). Ask if there is any individual discount or if they will accept another group discount if you get enough people. When last I checked the long-standing 5% discount from the YouTube Frugal Tesla Guy was still valid.

I installed a Mark 3 Tesla Offer frunk-hood device (for Model X) in April and am really enjoying it.

There is mention of a "MK4" unit, but I can't find any more info.

There is lots of information (in video and tabular form) on the Tesla Offer website. Mark 3.0 ($499) is the waterproof version that has been the standard up to the end of 2020 (=the start of the 2021 Season) for Tesla cars. For the refreshed Models S and X (that were supposed to come out in 2021) , there apparently will be a Mark 4.0 ($549) version (for a modified Tesla latch mechanism) that is not yet available. For 2021+ (is that considered "refreshed"?) Model 3s there is also a Mark 4.0 version (for cars built after 10/2020) available right now. See the videos and table on that Model 3 page for details on how it varies from the Mark 3.0. For Model Y currently the only choice to buy is apparently the Mark 4.0 version. Again, see videos on the Model Y page. Mark 4.0 for the Models Y and 3 apparently helps the system make sure that hood is properly latched, but I am not an expert on that--see the videos or contact Tesla Offer directly (through WhatsApp).

There is lots of information (in video and tabular form) on the Tesla Offer website. Mark 3.0 ($499) is the waterproof version that has been the standard up to the end of 2020 (=the start of the 2021 Season) for Tesla cars. For the refreshed Models S and X (that were supposed to come out in 2021) , there apparently will be a Mark 4.0 ($549) version (for a modified Tesla latch mechanism) that is not yet available. For 2021+ (is that considered "refreshed"?) Model 3s there is also a Mark 4.0 version (for cars built after 10/2020) available right now. See the videos and table on that Model 3 page for details on how it varies from the Mark 3.0. For Model Y currently the only choice to buy is apparently the Mark 4.0 version. Again, see videos on the Model Y page. Mark 4.0 for the Models Y and 3 apparently helps the system make sure that hood is properly latched, but I am not an expert on that--see the videos or contact Tesla Offer directly (through WhatsApp).

Ah, that makes sense. I didn't read too much into it. Thanks.

Fwiw I bought the version 3.0 last year and installed it myself watching only the official install video and it went mostly exactly as instructed. It took me about 4 hours but it prob only took that long because I had a high fever due to COVID.
The most important thing I want to relay about this is please ensure you tape off (and label) the emergency hatch button on the inside of your frunk. I had some golf clubs press up on it and it popped open all the way while driving. If I were going fast it would’ve been a complete disaster.

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
...The most important thing I want to relay about this is please ensure you tape off (and label) the emergency hatch button on the inside of your frunk. I had some golf clubs press up on it and it popped open all the way while driving. If I were going fast it would’ve been a complete disaster.

Good safety tip. I notice that the emergency hood-open button in the Model X frunk is recessed. There is a wide rectangular opening at the bottom front of the MX frunk-well (this opening ostensibly fits the emergency roadside kit included in some Tesla cars in certain areas). The button is recessed back inside that, so it is not on the surface of the front frunk-well wall and is a little more difficult to accidentally activate (by shifting cargo being transported in the frunk).

BTW, I installed the TeslaOffer powered frunk-hood device. I had some initial problems. One of the power struts may have been faulty--it was replaced free-of-charge (just the 5-day shipping delay). Then I apparently had some wire-harness connectors not making proper contact--perhaps due to electrical taping I did around the mated connectors to ironically help ensure that connections would be secure. Once those faulty areas were located and properly secured, the device worked perfectly and has so far continued to do so over the last three months of use. So in hindsight maybe I should have used an experienced installer? Regardless, having a powered front hood really makes the frunk so much more conevnient and useful.