Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Tesla Offer" Models X (& S, 3, & Y) Powered Frunk Hood Group Buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed the powered opener from Hansshow (www.hautopart.com) on a 2017 Model X about two months ago. It works very well.

The key to the whole thing was the excellent support that I got from them through WhatsApp. There were some issues that I needed help on and they did video calls and looked at my car and then provided specific instructions. While it took a few days of back and forth, especially due to the time difference, I would recommend this product. It works as advertised.

Based on the previous comments, I subsequently took a look at the TeslaOffer product, and it is pretty much the same equipment / parts (harnesses, hood lifters, latching mechanism, etc...). So, I don't believe there is any difference in quality of materials (although I can't compare first hand.)

Overall, it is a fun project to install if you like working on cars. One benefit is that you will get to know your Tesla... :) and will not be intimidated in the future from doing anything in the Frunk area...

I'm not sure I've come across a photo spread of all the Tesla Offer electric frunk-hood device parts laid out. (I've seen a photo like that for the Hansshow device, which I don't recommend.) The Tesla Offer box for the Model X is going to contain:
  • Two new electric power lift-arms (to replace the right/left OEM Tesla friction arms that currently hold up the hood)
  • Soft-close motor with sheathed Bowden push-pull control-cable (like a bike brake cable) that connects to the front latching mechanism
  • Waterproof control unit (the electronic "brain") (that can be updated with downloaded firmware)
  • various large and small wire harnesses and wires with big and small plug-connectors
  • Two new ball joint plates (to replace the right/left OEM Tesla lower ball joints that support the lift-arms)
  • New latching mechanism spring (replaces OEM Tesla spring)
  • Buzzer (I hear it needs to be wrapped to deaden the sound somewhat)
  • Miscellaneous cable ties, double-sided tape, screws
The parts for the other Tesla Models will be generally similar but may differ somewhat specifically.

Recommended tools (mostly everyday things):
  • Torx T20/T30 drivers
  • needle-nosed pliers
  • flat-blade screwdriver
  • plastic mounting lever
  • socket wrench with 10mm and 13mm sockets
  • additional (good quality and long-lasting) cable ties
  • duct tape
  • cutting tool(s)

Also recommended by various sources:

• automotive plastic push-pin connector removal tool
  • some sort of "pin" tool to pry up retaining clips at the end of the lift-arms to detach or insert ball joints (I am a little unclear about this) (As for everything automotive there may be a special tool just for that job, but apparently a flat head screwdriver will suffice.)
Apparently it is easy to break the Tesla push-pins connectors (especially if you pry them off with a screwdriver), so you may want to have a small supply of those ahead of time. (This is the same as working with most other car brands.)

You can see the device parts as they're being used in the Tesla Offer and YouTube videos for installation on the Model X, and Y or 3 I think. You can also watch videos for the same product on the Amp Tech (Germany) site. Of course, they're in German (just mute the audio).

Online Shop for premium Tesla equipment from Germany | AMPTech®

At the Amp Tech site there are also (German) pdf installation instruction files you can download with photos. These can supplement the Tesla Offer online installation instructions. Google Translate makes short work of deciphering small chunks of the German language.
Couple things to be advised: 1. Late 21 models have the HEPA filter. It must be removed for the Frunk kit installation. 2. You can not lay the Frunk kit computer on top because it will interfere with the HEPA assembly. Move it sideways along the battery wall. 3. There is no voice command to close the Frunk so to close it stick to the main screen, App or FOB. Voice command will open it however

Couple things to be advised: 1. Late 21 models have the HEPA filter. It must be removed for the Frunk kit installation. 2. You can not lay the Frunk kit computer on top because it will interfere with the HEPA assembly. Move it sideways along the battery wall. 3. There is no voice command to close the Frunk so to close it stick to the main screen, App or FOB. Voice command will open it however
Do we know yet if the Tesla Offer drink kit will work in the refreshed X?

I installed the powered opener from Hansshow (www.hautopart.com) on a 2017 Model X about two months ago. It works very well.

The key to the whole thing was the excellent support that I got from them through WhatsApp. There were some issues that I needed help on and they did video calls and looked at my car and then provided specific instructions. While it took a few days of back and forth, especially due to the time difference, I would recommend this product. It works as advertised.

Based on the previous comments, I subsequently took a look at the TeslaOffer product, and it is pretty much the same equipment / parts (harnesses, hood lifters, latching mechanism, etc...). So, I don't believe there is any difference in quality of materials (although I can't compare first hand.)

Overall, it is a fun project to install if you like working on cars. One benefit is that you will get to know your Tesla... :) and will not be intimidated in the future from doing anything in the Frunk area...
End of October report (4 months of experience): No issues, works very well, no adjustments required subsequent to initial install.

For the X, HEPA filter removal is one of the easiest steps.

I have a 2022 X on order and plan on installing this accessory, assuming it is compatible.

Reactions: Genie
New Group Buy!

Send me a private message with your email if you are interested in getting in this group buy. The team at Tesla Offer has graciously offered 20% off if we get 25 orders. This is good for electric tailgate, electric frunk, soft closing doors or auto present door handles.
I am way late to the gate on tis but have you had any feedback on the performance and reliability of the power trunk? Thanks

I am way late to the gate on tis but have you had any feedback on the performance and reliability of the power trunk? Thanks
My T.O. Frunk has been working perfectly for about 18 months with just one glitch- after a recent OTA update, the center screen “Open Frunk” button stopped working. I use my fob to open/close anyway, and I think the on screen button would have stopped working on the oem system as well. I’m not sure about how to address this, I doubt if Tesla will be helpful. Even having to use the fob, I’m happy with the opener and think this feature should come as standard equipment.

Reactions: henderrj