Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Tesla Offer" Models X (& S, 3, & Y) Powered Frunk Hood Group Buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tps5352

Supporting Member
While I continue to believe that the Tesla Offer device is the best on the market, as of 02-15-2021 the effort to secure a new group-buy powered frunk-hood discount for Model X is cancelled.

Things could always change in the future, so continue to watch on the TMC Forum, the Tesla Owner's Forum, YouTube, and other online sources. Thanks for your interest.

*****​

If anyone is contemplating installing the (as of 02/16/2021 still best on the market) Tesla Offer/Amp Tech device in a Model X, and would like some helpful additional information about installation, you can PM/DM me. (I'm not selling anything and I have no relationship with those companies.)

Last edited:
02-13-21 Update: I've contacted Tesla Offer (using the new, to me, "WhatsApp") and received an automated response--they are celebrating Chinese New Year. I left a message that I would contact them again on Monday to ask questions (concerning the Mark 4 versions) and discuss minimum requirements for a group discount. If you know of any potentially interested buyers, please have them contact me.

Reactions: GaryBowler
02-13-21 Update: I've contacted Tesla Offer (using the new, to me, "WhatsApp") and received an automated response--they are celebrating Chinese New Year. I left a message that I would contact them again on Monday to ask questions (concerning the Mark 4 versions) and discuss minimum requirements for a group discount. If you know of any potentially interested buyers, please have them contact me.

Just keep posting, I was part of that group buy and we blew past that 30 orders. I ordered 2 kits myself when I originally intended for one. It might be a while though since that one just ended less than 2 weeks ago.

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
While I continue to believe that the Tesla Offer device is the best on the market, as of 02-15-2021 the effort to secure a new group-buy powered frunk-hood discount for Model X is cancelled.

Things could always change in the future, so continue to watch on the TMC Forum, the Tesla Owner's Forum, YouTube, and other online sources. Thanks for your interest.
I would like to purchase one for the model Y

Anyone have a link to share for those of us who would like to see what this thing looks like?

The webpage for the Tesla Offer electric frunk-hood device is here:

Model X Electric Frunk - Tesla Offer

Tesla Offer, which in my opinion is currently the best device on the market so far, has frunk-device models for all four Models S, 3, X, and Y, with either Mark 3.0 or 4.0 frunk-device versions (available depending on the Tesla Model).

Brief History

From its 2016 beginning Model X provided key fob and display screen power control of FWDs, front doors, and the rear hatch-lid. But while the front hood could be popped open automatically, it had to be manually opened fully and closed, which was inconvenient and left hand-prints and even risked hood damage.

I started seeing YouTube videos about powered front-hood (frunk) devices in 2019. Early on, attention was on the Hansshow/Hautopart device.* YouTube was and is still loaded with videos about it. Personalities like Frugal Tesla Guy (FTG) installed and recommended the Hansshow product. Then the trouble began. Last I looked, FTG now warns people away from the Hansshow and towards the Tesla Offer device, which appears to have the better track record for quality, longevity, and customer support.
______
* Note: To his credit, YouTube personality Tesla Raj was promoting the Tesla Offer device from as early as September 10, 2019. He and FTG have joined forces and done side-by-side YouTube comparisons of Hansshow and Tesla Offer products. FTG is now onboard with the Tesla Offer frunk device.

Significant numbers of TMC members have purchased and/or installed both models. There have been large group-buy discount efforts for both products (with big Forum threads generated)--so loads of info here on the TMC Forum. Also on the Tesla Owner's Forum. A quick search of TMC posts disturbingly reveals a growing number of complaints about the Hansshow device. Tellingly, Hansshow is fighting back with significant discounts. Also, I see installers in the SF Bay Area, for example, offering the "Match" automatic frunk device. Be aware that the Match product is the same as (or similar to) the Hansshow device. I'm told that Match is the manufacturing company in China that makes the Hansshow/Hautopart device. My feeling is, what good is a large discount if the device stops working properly within a year?

Things may change, but right now I plan to purchase a Model X device from Tesla Offer. It is a small, young, dynamic company in Hong Kong partnered with Amp Tech in Hamburg, Germany.

See an introduction to their hard-working staff here:

When you "WhatsAPP" with Tesla Offer customer service or tech support, more than likely you will be talking directly to "Warren" or to "Raymond," respectively.

Disclaimer: It is important to note that I have no relationship (other than as a possible future customer) with any of these companies. Unlike YouTube personalities, I am getting no remuneration from anyone for providing this information. (Darn it.)

Last edited:
Anyone have a link to share for those of us who would like to see what this thing looks like?

I'm not sure I've come across a photo spread of all the Tesla Offer electric frunk-hood device parts laid out. (I've seen a photo like that for the Hansshow device, which I don't recommend.) The Tesla Offer box for the Model X is going to contain:
  • Two new electric power lift-arms (to replace the right/left OEM Tesla friction arms that currently hold up the hood)
  • Soft-close motor with sheathed Bowden push-pull control-cable (like a bike brake cable) that connects to the front latching mechanism
  • Waterproof control unit (the electronic "brain") (that can be updated with downloaded firmware)
  • various large and small wire harnesses and wires with big and small plug-connectors
  • Two new ball joint plates (to replace the right/left OEM Tesla lower ball joints that support the lift-arms)
  • New latching mechanism spring (replaces OEM Tesla spring)
  • Buzzer (I hear it needs to be wrapped to deaden the sound somewhat)
  • Miscellaneous cable ties, double-sided tape, screws
The parts for the other Tesla Models will be generally similar but may differ somewhat specifically.

Recommended tools (mostly everyday things):
  • Torx T20/T30 drivers
  • needle-nosed pliers
  • flat-blade screwdriver
  • plastic mounting lever
  • socket wrench with 10mm and 13mm sockets
  • additional (good quality and long-lasting) cable ties
  • duct tape
  • cutting tool(s)

Also recommended by various sources:

• automotive plastic push-pin connector removal tool
  • some sort of "pin" tool to pry up retaining clips at the end of the lift-arms to detach or insert ball joints (I am a little unclear about this) (As for everything automotive there may be a special tool just for that job, but apparently a flat head screwdriver will suffice.)
Apparently it is easy to break the Tesla push-pins connectors (especially if you pry them off with a screwdriver), so you may want to have a small supply of those ahead of time. (This is the same as working with most other car brands.)

You can see the device parts as they're being used in the Tesla Offer and YouTube videos for installation on the Model X, and Y or 3 I think. You can also watch videos for the same product on the Amp Tech (Germany) site. Of course, they're in German (just mute the audio).

Online Shop for premium Tesla equipment from Germany | AMPTech®

At the Amp Tech site there are also (German) pdf installation instruction files you can download with photos. These can supplement the Tesla Offer online installation instructions. Google Translate makes short work of deciphering small chunks of the German language.

Last edited:
...what this thing looks like?

Found yet another YouTube installation video for the Tesla Offer power frunk device (this time for the Model S pre-face-lift cars).

Here is a shot of the box contents:

Box Contents.jpg

This is an earlier version. The control module in the Mark 3 and Mark 4 versions is now waterproof. (So it will be armored with black plastic, I believe.) The key components are the:
  1. motorized Lift Arms,
  2. Latch Motor and its control cable,
  3. electronic Control Module, and
  4. the various connecting wires.
These new Tesla Offer parts either replace or connect into existing Tesla OEM parts. There is no wire splicing (I like that). New wire connectors are designed to attach directly to existing Tesla plugs and sockets. (That is why there are so many different Tesla Offer frunk-hood lift device kits.)

Model X owners have it lucky, in my opinion. So far there is only one device kit. And to me the installation in the Model X appears to be easiest because there is plenty of space to work. (Installation and specific parts vary somewhat for the four Tesla models [S, X, 3, Y] and their different iterations.)

You will not be disappointed with TeslaOffer’s X power frunk and their support (of course, at HK time zone); from my experience, Warren usually responded 1st and would escalate to Raymond when your problem can’t be figured out, Raymond appears to have more product experience than Warren, but both are great guys. Good luck!

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
Bought some pork belly to make BACON and other meats at Costco - it was 15-20F out - put them in the FRUNK! prefect freezer ;-)

Got some funny looks loading meat in the the engine bay....sorry for the derail....

Actually, I think I've seen that at least one company(?) markets refrigerators that fit Tesla frunks, right? In this weather (affecting much of the US) those aren't needed right now.

I’m in for the group buy. Also looking for someone to install in South Bay Area California.

Sorry, but (per Post #1) Tesla Offer is not offering group discounts right now. Both Tesla Raj and Frugal Tesla Guy (on YouTube) have 5% discount codes.

FTG recommended an installer in the Bay area. $200, I believe. Larry Li. (510) 388-9001. I have not used him yet. Larry installs both Hansshow and Tesla Offer kits, or at least I think he used to.

BTW, here are screenshots from FTG's brand new (2-week-old) video for installing the Tesla Offer kit in a Model Y:

Box.jpg Open Box.jpg Contents.jpg
(From left to right) You can see the black Control Module, something in larger bag (latch motor and control cable?), two power lift arms (with control power wires), something in smaller bag (lower ball joints?), and latch-release attachment (with safety release cord).

As I said above, you can use FTG's discount code and get a 5% discount at Tesla Offer.

Last edited: