Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Offer Power Frunk Malfunction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was at daughter's christmas skating show in another car (150 miles from home) when I got a message that my frunk was open at home. When I got home late last night it was indeed fully open and would not close. I've yet to work on it and have left a message with Tesla Offer on their odd contact system. Has anyone else had this happen and what was the fix? thx

I removed top panel in frunk to get at control unit and pull the power lead off. As soon as I put the power lead back on it started to close (while my head was still in there) and it stopped when it hit me as it should. Opened and closed it several times and is working fine now. Grateful it was a simple fix but somewhat concerning that it might do this while outside in the weather or with something valuable in frunk when you're not close by. Tesla Offer did respond and didn't offer any advice other than to close manually by just pushing hard on frunk lid.

Last edited:
I second it, while Tesla Offer has been good so far with their quality and customer service, with Tesla's near constant over the air updates, one will never know when it will start malfunctioning.

There might be reason Tesla skipped this feature when they released the car.

Moreover, there are multiple incidents of this going wrong while driving or it simply stopped working and so on. Never a good idea to introduce such a foreign (in terms of Vehicle design) accessory in to a product with frequent software updates.

If it was a traditional car with absolutely no software updates for the life of the car, then yeah, no issues.

I removed top panel in frunk to get at control unit and pull the power lead off. As soon as I put the power lead back on it started to close (while my head was still in there) and it stopped when it hit me as it should. Opened and closed it several times and is working fine now. Grateful it was a simple fix but somewhat concerning that it might do this while outside in the weather or with something valuable in frunk when you're not close by. Tesla Offer did respond and didn't offer any advice other than to close manually by just pushing hard on frunk lid.
You can remotely close the frunk with the app from anywhere in the world with an Internet connection. But more importantly, are you saying the frunk opened by itself?? I never had this issues with mine.

I have the TO kit and use it all of the time. The latch that holds the frunk closed and the signal to unlatch are the original hardware. The kit adds only the ability to close via a replacement rams and pull it closed the last couple of inches via a stacked mod to the OEM latch. I don't think there is any failure mode that will allow the kit to open the frunk by itself. The car sends the signal to the Tesla latch to open with or without the kit.

If you open the frunk and let the car fall asleep with the frunk open, the kit gets confused. It will not close the frunk as it thinks the frunk is already closed. The fix is easy. Gently pull the hood down and close the frunk manually. Everything goes back to normal then.

Love my frunk kit. Regular use for the past year.

Reactions: Tha_Ape and N1L CO2
What I have found is that if you leave the frunk or trunk open too long and the car falls asleep while it is open, the teslaoffer unit will get confused about the status of the trunk/frunk. When it hears the "open/close" signal it will try to open and register a fault (since it can't open the lid any wider). To get it going again I have never had to unplug anything, I just start to push the trunk closed and the unit will realize what's up and finish closing on it's own.

I have never had it open on it's own. But I have accidentally opened it a few times from my phone without realizing it (I have a 3rd party widget on my phone that does not require a 2nd confirmation click).

Last edited:
I have the TO kit and use it all of the time. The latch that holds the frunk closed and the signal to unlatch are the original hardware. The kit adds only the ability to close via a replacement rams and pull it closed the last couple of inches via a stacked mod to the OEM latch. I don't think there is any failure mode that will allow the kit to open the frunk by itself. The car sends the signal to the Tesla latch to open with or without the kit.

If you open the frunk and let the car fall asleep with the frunk open, the kit gets confused. It will not close the frunk as it thinks the frunk is already closed. The fix is easy. Gently pull the hood down and close the frunk manually. Everything goes back to normal then.

Love my frunk kit. Regular use for the past year.
I use the frunk all the time as well. It's my go-to storage for takeout food. Keeps the cabin free of fried-food aroma. :p

You can remotely close the frunk with the app from anywhere in the world with an Internet connection. But more importantly, are you saying the frunk opened by itself?? I never had this issues with mine.
YES! My Tesla app was not open on phone (it was in background as normal) and a message popped up that the Frunk had opened. This was not a butt dial and I had been away from home for several hours. Frunk was closed when I left. This actually happened once before a few weeks back when I was working in area nearby and I heard the beep and then saw the frunk open up on it's own. I installed about a year back and haven't had any prior issues.

I installed about a year back and haven't had any prior issues.
Could be just a glitch but I suspect water/humidity intrusion into the main electronic box. Is the light flashing red all the time? It should be. I had my box replaced with the new much improved version early spring. I actually opened the old box and found some damage on the board from what looks like over heating probably caused by a moisture shortage. Has worked flawlessly since April when I installed the new box. That being said, I did have a first batch of MK5 unit which was improved upon substantially in the following months. I had excellent and timely response from TO via whatsapp who took care of everything.

Where did you mount your box? I think mine stays totally dry here.
20201229_093844.jpg

Thx, box is dry, in same exact location as above and blinking red steady. It is inside and it's dry season here. ( I hadn't used car for a week). Legitimate issue. I suspect may be caused by watch for Tesla app which has been pretty glitchy for me. If it continues I'll drop the watch app and/or add a convenient switch to the controller ground wire.