Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Offer Trunk/Frunk Group Buy (3/S/X)

please vote below(you can select 2 options)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the push button. Yes, that is correct, I knew that would turn many off, but here is my thinking. No one knows it is there, unless I show them. I don't store valuables there. I was able to chose the location for drilling a hole for the button (behind the front T). I also considered hitting a bird and the dead bird might push the button and my hood fly open. I love it, like you, I wish it would only activate when I have the key fob but I did it anyway. Something you must consider before installing. It works for our lifestyle. Hope this helps...

Reactions: GNFO
Very good video by Frugal Tesla Guy for frunk install.

Yep watched the video and it explained a question or two I had.

I reached out to Raymond via Whatapp and he walked me through a test or two, had me reset the control unit, and it worked! I honestly can't believe what a great kit it is. Only bad thing is it is 1am local time and I set off the Sentry Mode during the testing and a neighbor or two is a little pissed.

This was probably the best buy for my Tesla. With curbside pickups, dropping kids at school, etc., makes it a lot easier.

I received my kit for the Model X frunk about a week after placing an order at the end of September. Install was pretty smooth, although I did have to adjust the kit a little bit to get it to latch properly after the frunk tub was reinstalled.

A few notes. First off, unlike @GNFO, no grinding was necessary for our 2017 X. Maybe because I ordered it on the last possible day the fix was already made?

The other thing is just a few days later we got a 12V battery warning. Mobile service is coming to replace it on Monday and the cost estimate is $0....hopefully they don’t change their mind after seeing the kit!

Finally, there is an available ground connection to the right of the battery connected to the vehicle sheet metal. Seems like a cleaner solution than what is mentioned in the install video.

I received my kit for the Model X frunk about a week after placing an order at the end of September. Install was pretty smooth, although I did have to adjust the kit a little bit to get it to latch properly after the frunk tub was reinstalled.

A few notes. First off, unlike @GNFO, no grinding was necessary for our 2017 X. Maybe because I ordered it on the last possible day the fix was already made?

The other thing is just a few days later we got a 12V battery warning. Mobile service is coming to replace it on Monday and the cost estimate is $0....hopefully they don’t change their mind after seeing the kit!

Finally, there is an available ground connection to the right of the battery connected to the vehicle sheet metal. Seems like a cleaner solution than what is mentioned in the install video.

I've read a few posts here and there saying Tesla would void the 12v battery warranty due to the Tesla Offer frunk kit so hopefully they don't make it an issue.

you should really disconnect the frunk/trunk cable near the 12V before they come to replace it. Its almost a guarantee that they will deny it or charge you full price if they see it connected.

Let us know how it goes since I am also concerned of this. Worst case is that I buy my own 12v to replace it myself if it happens though

you should really disconnect the frunk/trunk cable near the 12V before they come to replace it. Its almost a guarantee that they will deny it or charge you full price if they see it connected.

Let us know how it goes since I am also concerned of this. Worst case is that I buy my own 12v to replace it myself if it happens though

Remove the ground and then open the frunk how? I mean, doesn’t matter where the ground goes, unless I take the system out and put the manual struts back in, they’ll know it is there, right? I’m thinking if it isn’t attached to the battery, that’s at least giving me an outside shot of a free replacement. Let’s hope!

I believe the frunk will still pop open an inch if the control unit were to fail or have power disconnected. You then need to manually push it up all the way since the struts don’t have gas to fully open.

But yeah, you’re left with the problem of Tesla finding out unless you remove the struts.

Good luck and please report back!

Does anyone know how to use the emergency pull latch?

i.e. is it used on concert with the 12v bypass or instead of?

I tried pulling it with the car unlocked and nothing happened. I just want to test in the comfort of my garage while I have time to sort things out rather than a real world dead 12v situation.

Thanks!
~Lou

I don't think that pull releases the latch. It releases the soft close retract cable. I don't even think you would need it if the 12v failed I think it's used if the soft close motor broke.

You can test the frunk release. Just push the frunk latch closed with your hand then disconnect the 12v battery. I was messing around trying to see if a 9volt battery would really open it when I installed mine.

A 9volt will open it by the way but it will only do it once or twice. Then it's too week to complete the open cycle.

All went well for the 12V battery swap on our Model X. Before the mobile tech came I prepped the car by removing the frunk tub, giving the exposed bits a detail, and had the frunk lid open and ready to go. Not sure if that helped, but I’m sure he appreciated only having to swap the battery and not do the rest of the frunk removal/reinstall.

No charge although, honestly, the battery was original (March 2017), so I’d have been perfectly fine paying for it...but I’m happy not to!

I am assuming it was coincidence that the 12V battery issue popped up fairly soon after the Tesla Offer frunk kit installation....I guess I’ll find out soon enough.

Reactions: GNFO
All went well for the 12V battery swap on our Model X. Before the mobile tech came I prepped the car by removing the frunk tub, giving the exposed bits a detail, and had the frunk lid open and ready to go. Not sure if that helped, but I’m sure he appreciated only having to swap the battery and not do the rest of the frunk removal/reinstall.

No charge although, honestly, the battery was original (March 2017), so I’d have been perfectly fine paying for it...but I’m happy not to!

I am assuming it was coincidence that the 12V battery issue popped up fairly soon after the Tesla Offer frunk kit installation....I guess I’ll find out soon enough.

awesome, glad it worked out for you. So you removed the frunk/trunk wire going to the 12V also? Prepping the car by having the frunk open and battery exposed was a great idea

A15F820F-5A2E-43AC-BDC4-B99D16EEA243.jpeg BEFA6CC4-2BF1-4AD4-8E9A-F3C53D510A2C.jpeg
awesome, glad it worked out for you. So you removed the frunk/trunk wire going to the 12V also? Prepping the car by having the frunk open and battery exposed was a great idea

The positive wire connects to the fuse box and I connected the negative to a ground that’s behind and right of the battery box, so not at all connected to the battery. I did have to tweak the TeslaOffer ground wire because the diameter of the ground post was slightly larger than the ground wire fitting.

A15F820F-5A2E-43AC-BDC4-B99D16EEA243.jpeg
BEFA6CC4-2BF1-4AD4-8E9A-F3C53D510A2C.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.