Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Offering $5,000 Trade-In Credit for "Classic" Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$8000 @ $0.40/kWh = 20,000kWh, x 3mi/kWh = 60,000 miles
Holy crap, you drove 60,000 miles in the last 9 months, all on superchargers? How did you do that?

Not too bad on the math - Actual is 50k miles in 9 months, 89% supercharger according to stats from Tessie, and a fair amount of towing, highway speeds, and wheel bearing drag. Average wh/mi has been above 400 for a while - much of that is the wheel bearings actually. I do travel for work though, the very first road trip I took was from Florida to Oregon via Texas, Missouri, California, and Connecticut. Over 12k miles.

Not too bad on the math - Actual is 50k miles in 9 months, 89% supercharger according to stats from Tessie, and a fair amount of towing, highway speeds, and wheel bearing drag. Average wh/mi has been above 400 for a while - much of that is the wheel bearings actually. I do travel for work though, the very first road trip I took was from Florida to Oregon via Texas, Missouri, California, and Connecticut. Over 12k miles.
That's pretty sweet especially if your company pays you the going rate for mileage @ $0.65/mile. $650 for a 1000 mile road trip ain't too shabby. Tires being the main cost at that point, you're still pulling in some cool tax free moneys.
Same trip, paying for supercharging would run about $125-150.

Source? Yes I’m at the higher end but you seem to have just made this claim up.

Tesla made ~180k vehicles from 2012-2016. It’s a pretty conservative guess to think that half of them are still out there with free supercharging. 90k vehicles isn’t insignificant.

I guess all we can say for certain is that Tesla felt it was worth specifically targeting these owners with a $5,000 incentive, and that there was enough upside in it for them to do so.
Tesla is going to make tens of $Billions when they open the SC network to non-Tesla EV's. And $5000 toward trade-ins is a drop in the bucket.
So again, I stand by my statement that LUSC's just don't make up enough volume.
That is, unless it just comes down to greed over culture.
Elon built this company by embracing the culture and maximizing the company's exposure to that culture.
They aren't the most well made on the market. Early on, they weren't even that convenient to own. But for those who wanted one anyway, Tesla embraced them, and for the most part, took care of them.

But now that the company has grown, they're starting to change their decision making away from the culture/owners, and more toward the bottom line of investors. Typical of publicly traded companies. Not a surprise.
The charging network has continued to grow because it's profitable. But infrastructure issues from company growth, and lack of investment in adding Service Centers, just to name a couple, wreak of short-sightedness, which is disappointing given the impression of the "vision" that Elon has, but he's stretched sooooo thin right now I doubt any non-investor topics even threaten to approach his bandwidth.
I've gotten off-topic. Back to LUSC vehicles, I'd say we're both guesstimating our figures.
Not every Tesla sold 2012-2016 had LUSC. Would be nice the know that number.
And would be nice to know how many of those haven't been traded directly with Tesla, because don't forget, any that were traded back to Tesla, if resold, weren't given LUSC.

I have mine because I bought used through another dealership that took it as a trade. And the LUSC is transferrable.
That's where they could get rid of these LUSC. Remove the transferability. Seems pretty easy since new owners have to set up their own Tesla profile through the app. They can simply announce that LUSC's are no longer transferrable. It'll make them collector's items!

Reactions: NV Ray
Tesla is going to make tens of $Billions when they open the SC network to non-Tesla EV's. And $5000 toward trade-ins is a drop in the bucket.
So again, I stand by my statement that LUSC's just don't make up enough volume.
That is, unless it just comes down to greed over culture.
Elon built this company by embracing the culture and maximizing the company's exposure to that culture.
They aren't the most well made on the market. Early on, they weren't even that convenient to own. But for those who wanted one anyway, Tesla embraced them, and for the most part, took care of them.

But now that the company has grown, they're starting to change their decision making away from the culture/owners, and more toward the bottom line of investors. Typical of publicly traded companies. Not a surprise.
The charging network has continued to grow because it's profitable. But infrastructure issues from company growth, and lack of investment in adding Service Centers, just to name a couple, wreak of short-sightedness, which is disappointing given the impression of the "vision" that Elon has, but he's stretched sooooo thin right now I doubt any non-investor topics even threaten to approach his bandwidth.
I've gotten off-topic. Back to LUSC vehicles, I'd say we're both guesstimating our figures.
And would be nice to know how many of those haven't been traded directly with Tesla, because don't forget, any that were traded back to Tesla, if resold, weren't given LUSC.

I have mine because I bought used through another dealership that took it as a trade. And the LUSC is transferrable.
That's where they could get rid of these LUSC. Remove the transferability. Seems pretty easy since new owners have to set up their own Tesla profile through the app. They can simply announce that LUSC's are no longer transferrable. It'll make them collector's items!
That opening the network thing is gonna be a huge PITA for us. there are already lines and now they want to add a bunch of other cars too? its gonna be a shitshow

The number is "almost every single one of them". The only exclusions are the tiny handful of Model S 40s that made it off the line and some small fraction of the Model S 60s produced between 2012-2014. All 70, 75, 85, 90, and 100kwh cars produced in those years have free unlimited supercharging, and that is the overwhelming majority of the production numbers.

That opening the network thing is gonna be a huge PITA for us. there are already lines and now they want to add a bunch of other cars too? its gonna be a shitshow
I don't disagree. I'm hoping they charge more for non-T's, and use the $ influx to keep growing the network.
I only have one SC station in my city. It's located at a Meijer near the interstate junction on the north side.
But most of the population is where I live, the south side. And there's a Meijer very close to my house.
I live in a condo, with a garage, but the HOA won't let me install a Stage 2 charger, so I'm stuck trickling every night.
Would be nice if Tesla put SC's at more Meijer stores.

Free Supercharging is really attractive. They got a lot of sales in the last week of 2022 due to the free Supercharging offer (10,000 miles) + $7,500 off. If you have the AWD 85D or 100D and unlimited free Supercharging and don't mind that it takes longer for your car to charge, may be keep it. You've also got the better level of safety with AWD.
I've got a 2015 Model S 90D. Max charging speed for me is 113kw. But it's not a big deal at all.

15-20 minutes is a typical time I need for a quick top up from 20-60%. 30 minutes if I need to stretch the battery longer.

I work remotely (Devops) so I will often use that time to work on some code. By the time I power up the laptop, login and review, charging is just about complete anyways.