Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla offering a discount on new car deliveries this month!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't yet independently confirmed this, but here is a quote from an email I just received from the Tesla Owners Florida club:

Breaking news! Tesla has let me know that anyone who takes delivery of a Model 3 or Model Y before the end of the year will receive a $3,750 discount on the price. For more information contact the Tesla Store at the Florida Mall in Orlando, or your nearest Tesla location.

Reactions: voxel
I haven't yet independently confirmed this, but here is a quote from an email I just received from the Tesla Owners Florida club:

Breaking news! Tesla has let me know that anyone who takes delivery of a Model 3 or Model Y before the end of the year will receive a $3,750 discount on the price. For more information contact the Tesla Store at the Florida Mall in Orlando, or your nearest Tesla location.
Its on the Tesla New Inventories page. I have a delivery scheduled for 12/6 and was told it will reflect on my account 72 hours prior to Delivery

Reactions: MorrisonHiker

And folks on FB have confirmed their recent deliveries had $3750 off.

This shows that demand is softening. To those who thought this would never happen with Tesla, things can change quickly.
I'm sure there's still lots of demand but many buyers are probably putting their orders on hold in anticipation of the tax credit in 2023. I'm sure most buyers would gladly delay delivery by a couple weeks if it would save them several thousand dollars. Tesla is just using this demand lever to try to convince a few of those buyers to compromise and get a large discount with immediate delivery.

it's to stop the cancelling of orders.
Meet their dec deliveries. Demand is going to skyrocket in Jan. when they become tax credit eligible.

I mean... it SHOULD skyrocket now with the $3750 off, right? I doubt Tesla gets the full credit but who knows.

The used market is a good indicator of pricing... MMR is now around $56K for a 2022 Model Y but it has hit a floor of sorts.

Reactions: Daekwan
It isn't as much as demand softening but probably more due to December cancellations to re-schedule/re-order to 2023 were getting out of hand, and this was a customer retention situation that Tesla wanted to get firm control of. That, and what do they do with a growing stockpile of cancelled cars? They aren't going to slow down production due to cancellations. Tesla and customers' win-win. Tesla sells lots more cars for Q4, and happier December delivery customers far less likely to cancel or delay their order deliveries.

Reactions: tashtibet
It isn't as much as demand softening but probably more due to December cancellations to re-schedule/re-order to 2023 were getting out of hand, and this was a customer retention situation that Tesla wanted to get firm control of. That, and what do they do with a growing stockpile of cancelled cars? They aren't going to slow down production due to cancellations. Tesla and customers' win-win. Tesla sells lots more cars for Q4, and happier December delivery customers far less likely to cancel or delay their order deliveries.

Demand is definitely softening across all cars and Teslas. See used cars prices that have collapsed. The Model Y auction prices has dropped from $75K to sub $56K in the span of three months. Carmaker fleet sales have resumed too so rental agencies and governments don’t need to resort to buying at auction.

If demand is affected, and there is no reason to expect otherwise, interest rates are very high on car loans, and the looming USA IRA tax credit took its toll on December orders and cancelled December deliveries. The messed up economy, no matter what Washington up-sells it as, is also a part of people pausing their big purchases. It isn't just Tesla. All cars, housing, vacations, etc.

Expect other car companies to follow suit very soon.

They’ve often done Dec incentives, inventory often has FSD added but at a reduced price and 2 years ago I recall all deliveries in the last 2 weeks of Dec had a years free supercharging.

But demand v supply is definitely softening globally, it’s not just the volume of inventory, it’s the predicted wait times. In the UK we’ve only just started taking delivery of MYP in the last 2 weeks, so we’ve 2 years of back orders, and there’s now no real wait for delivery, you can get one by Christmas if you’re flexible. Our used prices are also in free fall. 3 months ago an MY was selling over list, today those cars are down $7k (£6k) below purchase price. So I do t just think it’s a US incentives thing, it’s everywhere for a mix of reasons.

They’ve often done Dec incentives, inventory often has FSD added but at a reduced price and 2 years ago I recall all deliveries in the last 2 weeks of Dec had a years free supercharging.

But demand v supply is definitely softening globally, it’s not just the volume of inventory, it’s the predicted wait times. In the UK we’ve only just started taking delivery of MYP in the last 2 weeks, so we’ve 2 years of back orders, and there’s now no real wait for delivery, you can get one by Christmas if you’re flexible. Our used prices are also in free fall. 3 months ago an MY was selling over list, today those cars are down $7k (£6k) below purchase price. So I do t just think it’s a US incentives thing, it’s everywhere for a mix of reasons.
Thanks for adding these thoughts to the discussion. Always good to have a wider world view. We know that China has reduced prices recently, and wait times there are very short now. Germany did something with incentives to gain sales some time ago.

This shows that demand is softening. To those who thought this would never happen with Tesla, things can change quickly.
Tesla wants to be able to record the largest possible delivery total in 2022, and in Q4. The 2023 tax credit is messing with this, so it makes sense to entice people, and to target specifically the December deliveries. The closer we get to the end of the year it’s like a giant sucking sound with deliveries getting pulled into January.

Tesla let this happen by allowing people to defer delivery, now they’re trying to claw it back. Delivery totals are key for Tesla, I think more so than sales totals.

1669981669052.png

Perhaps but it's not like Tesla has never discounted before. In addition to offering various discounts over the years on new existing inventory/demo cars, they have lowered retail prices which is essentially the same as a discount. As one example, the base price of a new Model S went from $79,990 at the beginning of 2020 to $69,420 by the last quarter of 2020. That was comparable to giving a $10,000+ discount.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker