TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tesla Offering Car Insurance??

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by PRSIST, Aug 4, 2017.

Tags:
?

If Tesla offered it, would you consider purchasing their car insurance for the right price?

1. Yes

60 vote(s)
    87.0%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    7.2%
  3. Undecided

4 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. PRSIST

PRSIST Member

Has anybody heard anything further about whether or not Tesla is going to offer car insurance to Tesla owners?? It certainly has not been printed on the Model 3 release and I haven't found it anywhere on their website.

Electrek wrote an article about some time ago, but the topic has fallen off the radar.

Would it be something you would like for your Model 3?

2. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

Of course if the price is right. It would have to overcome multi policy discounts for many potential buyers. I'd like to think repairs would be funded properly though! I think with so much aluminum that matters.

• Like x 1
  3. Robert831

Robert831 Member

Hopefully they would offer a significant discount for people who buy fully autonomous mode. The feature could pay for itself over time.

• Like x 1
  4. trm2

trm2 Member

Tesla is working with at least one company on this.

5. PRSIST

PRSIST Member

Do you know which one? It would seem like a pretty simple thing to roll out.

Seems like people would like to have Tesla's car insurance.

6. trm2

trm2 Member

It isn't quite as easy as it may seem, especially with Tesla. There just aren't that many Tesla out there. There is decades of data on other manufacturers. Insurance is all data. I'm in the industry, so I do know who, but the relationship or relationships is/are not public, so I can't disclose.

7. jsanford

jsanford Red 3 Reserver

Since vehicle insurance is state regulated, I wouldn't see them offering it everywhere.
    Truthfully, I'd probably pass since multi-policy discounts, loyalty credits, etc. reduce our rates.

GAP (guaranteed asset protection) insurance would be a nice add-on with Tesla financing.

8. PRSIST

PRSIST Member

Understood. Thanks

9. MS_Dream

MS_Dream Member

Insurance is being offered by Alliant, not Tesla. It's underwritten by Liberty Mutual.

10. JonathanD

JonathanD Member

This gets complicated with multi-vehicles, multi-policies, etc., unfortunately.

11. JBare

JBare Member

As an insider what are your thoughts on The Lemonade insurance plan. They're just getting started but seems like a new idea

12. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

Of course..."for the right price" is the cheapest that I can get a quote for.