Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla offering insurance next month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Knowingly being insured by a company with as many customer service issues as I have experienced? Product is great, but when they can’t return phone calls, and I’m still waiting on a price adjustment refund, um...no. Hard pass.

Offering insurance in all areas of the US would pretty much an impossibility. Getting approval and setting up in multiple states (each is a separate effort) is something even large insurance companies are hesitant to do.

I think there are 3 ways this can go. 1) Tesla provides insurance in California only. 2) Tesla partners with another company that provides realistic rates. 3) Absolutely nothing happens.

I'm betting on 3.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark and GeoX750
I'm very excited about this and looking forward to it.
I've had insurance with a number of companies and a few of them quoted me astronomical rates.
Mine is much less, but a few normal companies quoted 4k a year for a Model 3.

That is completely insane, 4,000 for a car that is in the 40-50k range with tons of safety features?

I don't think the underwriters have caught up to the idea that every accident is fully documented with video and other details. The cars are incredibly safe and are nearly impossible to steal.

This is intriguing. Not sure what their rates are but unless it's a significant discount I would be extremely cautious about switching over. Base on the level of customer service at Tesla I've received, it's not looking too promising.

Not holding my breath but will definitely get a quote to see what their rate is, assuming this ever actually comes to fruition.

Not too worried about customer service. If there is an accident they will be communicating with other party’s insurance (I don’t micromanage this) and Tesla approved body shop/service center. Even when I have a claim I have next to no interaction with my current provider, USAA, other than paying my premium.

I'm 46 and no tickets or at fault accidents. Its achievable.
Clearly I'm doing something wrong. Me and everyone else I know lol. Although I haven't gotten a ticket in 7 or 8 years so hopefully I can keep it going for another 30 or 40. But I just bought a P3D so my chances are looking bleak. It also doesn't help that I live in So Cal where you are expected to keep up with all the crazy drivers out there.

I think there are 3 ways this can go. 1) Tesla provides insurance in California only. 2) Tesla partners with another company that provides realistic rates. 3) Absolutely nothing happens.

I'm betting on 3.

I totally agree. This is just 'smoke and mirrors' from Elon to cover the obvious "robotaxi" insurance questions. It's not real. In no world does it make sense for Tesla to start their own nationwide insurance business, and any company they partner with is going to charge more for the Tesla branded insurance (like happened with LMI). No thanks, I'd rather stick with my current insurance company (Chubb) that has been in the insurance business for 130 years.

tenor.gif

Reactions: GeoX750
We are getting absolutely hosed on insurance at the moment, wiping out any and all gas savings. It’s self-inflicted, but also has to do with the obnoxious way some underwriters are valuing Model 3. Honestly, from a financial perspective, it almost makes sense to not be in the Model 3, though we are hoping this is a temporary problem and we love the car so much.

This could help folks in the same situation.
My Tesla and Land Rover are insured with Metromile (HQ in San Francisco) and it only costs me about $1500/year for both. Mileage based. Great service.
It pays to shop around.
Pay-per-mile Insurance - Affordable Car Insurance

My Tesla and Land Rover are insured with Metromile (HQ in San Francisco) and it only costs me about $1500/year for both. Mileage based. Great service.
It pays to shop around.
Pay-per-mile Insurance - Affordable Car Insurance

I'll check them out, get something from them in the mail literally daily. I imagine it wouldn't be so great for 25K mi/yr on the 3.

Our problem right now is an open bodily injury claim in a 15 mph rear-end collision (no airbags deployed in our car). He had minor damage to his SUV's rear bumper, but is trying to milk every penny he can for pain and suffering and intends to leave the claim open as long as he can. This was our only fault or moving violation in 36+ combined years of driving between my wife and I. Want to know what State Farm quoted me this morning? $610 PER MONTH (including a 2014 Honda).

I'll check them out, get something from them in the mail literally daily. I imagine it wouldn't be so great for 25K mi/yr on the 3.

Our problem right now is an open bodily injury claim in a 15 mph rear-end collision (no airbags deployed in our car). He had minor damage to his SUV's rear bumper, but is trying to milk every penny he can for pain and suffering and intends to leave the claim open as long as he can. This was our only fault or moving violation in 36+ combined years of driving between my wife and I. Want to know what State Farm quoted me this morning? $610 PER MONTH (including a 2014 Honda).
Definitely an advantage for low annual mileage which might not work out for you. Also, the claim could be problematic.
I'd definitely get as many quotes as possible from as many insurance companies as possible. They tend to vary quite a bit in their underwriting rules and you could find one who would be more impressed with your past clean record than the current claim.