Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Offering New Winter Tire Package for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla Model Y crossover SUV is getting winter-ready with a new wheel and tire package.

Now available in the Tesla store, the “Model Y 19″ Gemini Wheel and Winter Tire Package” is designed for owner that will need to navigate a snow and ice season.

Tesla’s description of the package:

“Model Y 19″ Gemini Wheel and Winter Tire Package provides maximum safety and grip when driving in wet or dry conditions and on icy or snow-covered roads. The winter package guarantees a high level of traction, stability, and braking efficiency under 45° F, so you can enjoy wherever you drive with confidence and comfort.”

The package includes Pirelli Winter Sottozero tires, which Pirelli says “achieve maximum control and performance in all winter weather conditions” through “new compounds and a new sipe design.”

Tesla is charging $3,500 for the package in the U.S. and $4,700 in Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:
We should be honest, every tire has downsides.
So this one:
  • Negative - Weakness on dry roads and ice.
    • Negative - Average wet grip, high price, somewhat high wear.

This tire is good for high performance vehicle, also noise is better than on average.
Good choice for medium winters. Those who live in serious places will still choose Nokians and some may even choose studs (not recommended for EVs).

So this one:

This tire is good for high performance vehicle, also noise is better than on average.
Good choice for medium winters. Those who live in serious places will still choose Nokians and some may even choose studs (not recommended for EVs).

Why are studs not recommended for EVs - I plan on running studded Nokians on mine.

So this one:

Almost everyone with a Tesla spends the majority of time in winter driving on dry roads. All snow rated tires are far superior to all weather tires on snow covered roads. I think Tesla chose the appropriate balance of features with these tires.

Almost everyone with a Tesla spends the majority of time in winter driving on dry roads. All snow rated tires are far superior to all weather tires on snow covered roads. I think Tesla chose the appropriate balance of features with these tires.

Follow-up question to this:

I live in San Francisco/Bay Area in CA, so I don't have much snow experience on a daily basis

This winter I'm driving quite a bit on dry, warm roads, but to get to cold snow mountains. Assuming I'm just driving safety and moderately on the dry warm-ish roads, is it still a good idea to be running dedicated winter tires (I'm getting Michelin X-Ice SNOW) anyway for when I get to the heavy snow/icy conditions?

That's super confusing because the caps are Gemini's and the wheels are actually Apollo's.
Yeah, I don’t get it. Are the covers an extra cost?? That makes NO sense if they are because they are shown with covers, which would imply the covers come with this Gemini package. A Tesla Gemini is a rim with a cover in it. An Apollo is a Gemini withOUT the covers, so this is very confusing and misleading!? Anyone have a more definitive answer to this?

when I get to the heavy snow/icy conditions?
Winter tires (those that are NOT suitable for warm weather) exceed summer tires (incl all-seasons) at temperature
below 7*C (44*F). No matter WHAT surface - dry road, wet road, snow, ice, hail, gravel, sand...
There are two components for tire grip. How the tread looks like and from what is tire made of.
Though all tires are black rubber properties (all-seasons vs winter) are different.
If you want maximum grip below few degrees to what I mentioned, you need to get another set.
Even if there is no snow.
Though it is also important to distinguish "central european winter tires" from "full winter tires"
Those Tesla offers now are around 80% moderate winter 20% real winter.
Those who are not sure "do the need winter tires" can certainly choose that mild version of winter tires.

Also do not forget that above 7-9*C (44-48*F) winter tires start to wear too fast with SOMEwhat worse grip too.

Extra video to watch while eating popcorn.

Follow-up question to this:

I live in San Francisco/Bay Area in CA, so I don't have much snow experience on a daily basis

This winter I'm driving quite a bit on dry, warm roads, but to get to cold snow mountains. Assuming I'm just driving safety and moderately on the dry warm-ish roads, is it still a good idea to be running dedicated winter tires (I'm getting Michelin X-Ice SNOW) anyway for when I get to the heavy snow/icy conditions?

Coastal Californians who occasionally go to the mountains in winter should probably just have chains for all season tires. You may never need the chains or snow tires.

Reactions: quadroplexor
Yes, assuming nothing crazy. I was able to transport 4 255/45R19 tires mounted on 19 inch rims in the back with back seats folded down. I did not try to bring 4 rims + 4 unmounted tires, the rims I brought, the tires were already there waiting for me.

You do need to tilt them to clear the opening, 28 inches is too tall to just roll on in. I would also make sure to bring old blankets or get the tires put into plastic bags before placing in your car, to avoid marking up any surfaces.

• Informative
Reactions: sherlockw
Can 4 wheels with mounted tires fit in the back of the Y? Looking to get mine changed this week and wondering if there’s room.
Yes
B17E590B-35EB-4A62-8307-1AD105501B50.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Pirelli's are good, but if you look at consumer report ratings.... I'm driving up to ski resorts all winter so I'd like to go with a better tire. Also, I assume that next spring I'll be able to pick up Gemini wheels for next to nothing from folks going to after market wheels. There really is a 7% efficiency loss without those wheels/covers. I'd be pissed if my battery degraded 7% - so I'm not going to do the same to my wheels. These cars are so efficient that they end up being really sensitive to having their aerodynamics trashed. That way I can change over from summer to winter myself.

FWIW I was able to buy aftermarket wheels with proper load rating and Blizzaks for about $1700 from local Discount Tire, including Tesla pressure sensors. I chose 18" wheels and higher profile tires (to get same circumference) for winter driving. Too soon to know how well this setup performs.

I'm about to do the same thing through discount tire....could you please share which wheels, tires, lug nuts, and tpms sensors you bought? I'd love to do this for $1700! I don't mind the 18s either.