Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Offers “Gen 2” Mobile Connector for $300

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla’s online store now offers a new mobile connector at a considerable discount over the previous version.

The “Gen 2” connector began shipping with the Model 3, but is now standard for all Tesla vehicles. The Mobile Connector Bundle in the online store is now $300, a 40 percent reduction in price. The bundle was previously $550.

The Gen 2 bundle includes a 20 ft cable, a NEMA 14-50 Adapter, and a NEMA 5-15 Adapter. The 14-50 adapter limits the connector to a max output of 32 amps versus 40 amps for the previous version.

“This product is included as standard equipment with your Tesla vehicle, however, purchasing another Mobile Connector Bundle may provide extra convenience if you wish to keep one set at the home and carry another in the car,” according to Tesla’s website.

Last edited by a moderator:
J1772 adapter not included in the new bundle?
The J1772 adapter is a standard charging adapter included with the car but it has nothing to do with the UMC. It wasn't included with the UMC bundle and as before, it is still available separately for $95.

When people sell their UMC here, they often include the J1772 adapter since they are usually stored in the same bag...but again, it isn't part of the UMC and it would never be used at the same time as the UMC.

Last edited:
Well i already throttle my umc to 20 amps so I have a hot battery in the morning and less waste. When traveling, I've only found 12 amps outlets. So all in all, it makes a lot of sense!
The original is 8/32A or 25% faster. Said another way it only charges at 32/40A = 80% of the speed of the original. Would be silly to buy this one for such a speed cut in charging.

Well i already throttle my umc to 20 amps so I have a hot battery in the morning and less waste. When traveling, I've only found 12 amps outlets. So all in all, it makes a lot of sense!

Your setup makes sense but for me I like my car ready at a moment's notice, so as soon as I get home the car gets plugged in charging to 90%.

I need a NEMA 6-20 adapter and the Gen 2 has one available... I really wish they sold such an adapter for the Gen 1 UMC. It looks nicer and is cheaper than the only alternative I can find: NEMA 14-50R to 6-20P Adapter
Just use the Tesla 5-20 adapter and make a 5-20R to 6-20P pigtail.
Plug: Legrand Pass and Seymour 20 Amp 250-Volt Plug-PS5466XCCV4 - The Home Depot
Cord: AC Connector 1 ft. 12 AWG 15 Amp to 20 Amp Plug Adapter Cord NEMA 5-15P to 5-15/20R (20 Amp T-Blade)-S515520-012 - The Home Depot

Just cut the 5-15P plug off the cord and put the 6-20P plug on it. This solution enforces the 16 amp limit for the 20 amp circuit. The one you linked allows you to overload the circuit if you forget to turn down the amps in the car or it loses the location based amp setting.

But wouldn't that only work at 120V, not 240V?
The NEMA plugs are mechanically different so that you don't plug a 120V appliance into a 240V socket. The Mobile Connector is voltage agile, so it will accept either voltage regardless of how it gets in. The idea here is that the Tesla 5-20 adapter will properly indicate that it is a 20A socket and you're making an adapter to feed in the 240V power from the 6-20 socket. This is an easy adapter to make because the polarity of the hot wires don't matter. If you are doing the opposite, like putting 120V into the NEMA 14-50 adapter, then the Hot and Neutral polarity matters.

Anyway, this only applies to the Gen1 Mobile Connector. The Gen2 has both 5-20 and 6-20 adapters available, so if you have one of those, just buy the proper adapter from Tesla.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker