Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Offers $2,500 Infotainment Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla will now offer a computer hardware update for older versions of the Model S and Model X that will improve the infotainment system.

Owners of Model S and Model X vehicles built March 2018 or earlier will be eligible to purchase an “Infotainment Upgrade,” Tesla said in a blog post. The $2,500 upgrade will give owners access to features like video streaming, Tesla Arcade features, in addition to a more responsive and faster touchscreen.

Screen-Shot-2020-03-03-at-9.59.24-PM.png

Tesla says eligible owners will be invited by email to schedule an appointment to purchase and install the upgrade.

It’s great news for owners for older Tesla vehicles that will bring their infotainment systems up to date with a brand new car. It also bodes well for the Model S and Model X resale value.

Image: Tesla

Last edited by a moderator:
I got FSD upgrade from HW2, Keeping existing MCU1 (mcu2 not available yet). Sentry Mode works now, records to drive, honk and record also works. Just no dash viewer on mcu1.

Apparently those MCU2 units are really in short supply. Our Model X has had the HW3 parts available for over a month now (according to the parts department) and the service center keeps sending weekly parts/order updates for the MCU2 unit with no actual updates. lol

• Helpful
Reactions: Technupe
Have an ap1 / mcu 1 2015 85d, never bought autopilot. Would be way attractive if they bundled MCU2 upgrade with legacy autopilot update, especially considering vehicles now come with it. I wonder if MCU2 has any appreciable affect on ap1 performance? Also has anybody with ap1/mcu1 2015 vehicle gotten an upgrade yet?

Reactions: ChrisJ
I received a message in the ap telling me the upgrade from 2.0 to 3.0 was now available for my Feb 2017 S 75D. It took a couple of weeks for an open appointment. Picked the car up this afternoon. Calibration took about 7 miles. Still have MCU1. I have the ability to turn on/off stoplight and stop sign recognition. Sentry mode with recording now works too.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
Have an ap1 / mcu 1 2015 85d, never bought autopilot. Would be way attractive if they bundled MCU2 upgrade with legacy autopilot update, especially considering vehicles now come with it. I wonder if MCU2 has any appreciable affect on ap1 performance? Also has anybody with ap1/mcu1 2015 vehicle gotten an upgrade yet?
There's no way Tesla will upgrade AP1 to AP3. It is way more involved than just upgrading an AP2 or 2.5 car to AP3. Back in 2016 when AP2 came out, Elon said "Upgrading cars is not realistic. It's like giving cars a spinal cord transplant."

Reactions: mikes_fsd
I received a message in the ap telling me the upgrade from 2.0 to 3.0 was now available for my Feb 2017 S 75D. It took a couple of weeks for an open appointment. Picked the car up this afternoon. Calibration took about 7 miles. Still have MCU1. I have the ability to turn on/off stoplight and stop sign recognition. Sentry mode with recording now works too.

You did not have to upgrade to MCU2 to get sign recognition and Sentry recording ? Was your upgrade free ?

You did not have to upgrade to MCU2 to get sign recognition and Sentry recording ? Was your upgrade free ?
Well it wasn't "free" since I paid for FSD when I bought the car but I didn't have to pay extra. Stop sign/light recognition are selectable options. I have turned them both on. The update to the visualization downloaded last night. I haven't driven it since rhe update. I have an SSD on order for the sentry.

alright ... finally an update..
After few tries of scheduling the upgrade to AP3.0 from Ap2.0 on my model X 2017 I was finally able to get it done today!
I took my car for service around 8:30am, it was ready at 3:30pm on the same day.
I also upgraded the MCU to 2.0

Things i have noticed so far..
The car took around 30 miles to calibrate the cameras.
The touch screen is super responsive and super quick now,
Sentry mode is working as expected.
Once i got home i was able to install and update 2020.20.12
The traffic lights and stop signs were not showing ... It happens that my navigation and GPS firmware needed updating.
Once updated the navigation, Traffic, stop signs, trash can, bike and humans are all showing now.
I am not 100% sure, but i believe they also replaced the screen behind the wheel as well as the main screen.
I can play and delete Sentry video right from the car display. I can also format the USB.
the car is most definitely ride much smoother on AP3.0

Finally I will be taking it to the Keys in few days for a cross country road trip. Will report back onces i am back.

If you are still debating if you should get the 2500 upgrade, i would personally highly recommended just for the display responsive and how quickly shows the super chargers/ routing... Honestly i been thinking of getting a new model x, but for now i will keep it for 3/4 more years.

Let me know if you guys have any specific question about the upgrade. happy to answer

Sorry to vent however gradually becoming more and more frustrated with reading all the joys of a $2500 upgrade when there are issues with these generation of vehicles with MCU1 that Tesla should be fixing first.
While having the ability to watch Netflix when supercharging, or not needing to argue that customers shouldn't have to pay for excessive logging that benefits the company's research each time the MCU1 emmc burns out, what I'd really prefer for an enhancement would be restoring the true battery capacity for the vehicle and the charging speed.
Our signature for years and our few posts used to be marked as how much we loved the car. In many ways we actually still do. We used to brag to anyone that would listen how the car kept improving and was no longer the car we had originally purchased.
Offering to give someone with an older model, Netflix as an option for $2500 USD, doesn't seem to matter when the car is no longer (negatively now) what was purchased after it's first four years. Fix the battery and charge limits back to how the vehicle was sold and maybe we'd consider a new screen so we could watch Netflix while we get an 80% charge in 40 minutes to the proper range.

• Disagree
Reactions: ohyis
I absolutely agree!!!!!!!! Its an insult to slap Tesla owners in the face with a purchase price of any measure, to in-turn fix this well known manufacturer product defects, and try pass it off to us owners as an infotainment system -upgrade- for what truly is a legit highway safety recall issue. That should continue with its current investigation by the NHTSA. This issue alone should be made a national safety bulletin for our Teslas.

Secondly. Yes!.. return our battery charge rates and stand behind the battery production quality too. The entire principles of the Tesla electric car would be the foundation it starts with. Such as the electric battery which is the Teslas source of power for its mobile operations and function.
Come On Musk! ..love ya brother. Hands down, you are a genius. But, ya gotta be smart enough to stand behind your production products as well. Please! Elon.

I absolutely agree!!!!!!!! Its an insult to slap Tesla owners in the face with a purchase price of any measure, to in-turn fix this well known manufacturer product defects, and try pass it off to us owners as an infotainment system -upgrade- for what truly is a legit highway safety recall issue. That should continue with its current investigation by the NHTSA. This issue alone should be made a national safety bulletin for our Teslas.

Secondly. Yes!.. return our battery charge rates and stand behind the battery production quality too. The entire principles of the Tesla electric car would be the foundation it starts with. Such as the electric battery which is the Teslas source of power for its mobile operations and function.
Come On Musk! ..love ya brother. Hands down, you are a genius. But, ya gotta be smart enough to stand behind your production products as well. Please! Elon.

IMHO, they don’t owe anyone an MCU2. They do owe a lot of people a new tegra board (thankfully now offering, but should be free).

How can I tell if my MCU can be upgraded from a MCU1 to a MCU2? I've heard it could be and couldn't be. Can youryou it yourself by VIN or some other way? The only reason I'd like to upgrade is for the WiFi and bluetooth to work better as well as for it to work faster. Also my browser doesn't really work on this one. Any help would be appreciated. They just replaced my MCU when it went out all of a sudden and I'm still having a lot of issues with the refurbished one I had to pay for. I have a 2013 Model S P85. It has premium connectivity if that matters. Also I don't know if it was the recent update, but all of a sudden when I say "play a song by so and so" it being up the search field instead of playing the song immediately like it used to. Then the search results aren't songs but are podcasts. It's the weirdest thing.

How can I tell if my MCU can be upgraded from a MCU1 to a MCU2? I've heard it could be and couldn't be. Can youryou it yourself by VIN or some other way? The only reason I'd like to upgrade is for the WiFi and bluetooth to work better as well as for it to work faster. Also my browser doesn't really work on this one. Any help would be appreciated. They just replaced my MCU when it went out all of a sudden and I'm still having a lot of issues with the refurbished one I had to pay for. I have a 2013 Model S P85. It has premium connectivity if that matters. Also I don't know if it was the recent update, but all of a sudden when I say "play a song by so and so" it being up the search field instead of playing the song immediately like it used to. Then the search results aren't songs but are podcasts. It's the weirdest thing.

If you have a Model X/S from 2017 and live in the US, you can get the Infotainment upgrade,

Configuration Beginning Availability
Vehicles with Autopilot Computer 2.5 Scheduling Now
Vehicles with Autopilot Computer 2.0 Scheduling Now
All remaining Model S and Model X owners Coming Soon

Infotainment Upgrade

we also should get new tires every 6 months.

• Funny
Reactions: Hbrink