Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Offers Free Holiday Supercharging in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

As holiday travel kicks off for the year, Tesla is hoping to relieve some congestion at its charging stations by offering free Supercharging rates during off-peak hours.

In a post on its website, Tesla urges customers to “avoid the rush this Thanksgiving holiday” and charge for free during off‑peak hours at Superchargers along select California travel routes.

The offer will be available before 10 a.m. and after 7 p.m on Wednesday, November 24 through Sunday, November 28.

Below are the California stations where free Supercharging will be available.

Locations:

Arroyo Grande, CA – W Branch RdAtascadero, CABaker, CABakersfield, CA – Copus RoadBakersfield, CA – I-5Barstow, CABuellton, CAButtonwillow, CAClovis, CACorning, CAFirebaugh, CAFresno, CAFresno, CA – North Blackstone AvenueFresno, CA – North Riverside DriveGreenfield, CAGustine, CAHarris RanchHesperia, CAKettleman City, CAKettleman City, CA – Bernard DriveMerced, CA – Martin Luther King Junior WayMojave, CAMount Shasta, CA – 111 Morgan WayMount Shasta, CA – 134 Morgan WayPaso Robles, CA – Golden Hill RoadPismo BeachPrimm, NVRed Bluff, CA – Belle Mill RoadSalinas, CASan Luis Obispo, CA – 3897 S Higuera StSan Luis Obispo, CA – Los Osos Valley RoadSan Luis Obispo, CA – Madonna InnSoledad, CA – 100 Front StTejon Ranch, CATejon Ranch, CA – Outlets at Tejon PkwyTraver, CAWilliams, CA – 6th StreetYermo, CAYreka, CA

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends. The biggest tax in many people's lives, property taxes, are relatively low. And largely fixed at the time of purchase at 1.125% with only 2% increase in the property tax amount is allowed. So as you age and go to a fixed income It is not unusual to see people paying $2,000/year in property taxes on homes with a market value of $2-3 Million. One of my brothers does this with the home I was raised in thanks to Prop 13. This makes it a good place to retire in place.

Don’t spreading misinformation. California is burning, taxes are out of control. I advise everyone to stay away 😉

It is interesting - I have not seen much about holiday congestion (other than this off peak proposal in limited areas). I will say that in Northeast Ohio on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving I waited an hour to get a spot at a Super Charger and when I left all of the stalls were still full with about 6 cars waiting their turn. It was not a huge deal but the optics are not great. Lots of folks driving by in the parking lot having a good laugh at our expense.

It is interesting - I have not seen much about holiday congestion (other than this off peak proposal in limited areas). I will say that in Northeast Ohio on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving I waited an hour to get a spot at a Super Charger and when I left all of the stalls were still full with about 6 cars waiting their turn. It was not a huge deal but the optics are not great. Lots of folks driving by in the parking lot having a good laugh at our expense.
Some folks were screaming Let’s go Brandon while we were waiting . Funny that they think only libs buy Teslas haha. Pretty sad to see our country divided in two camps.

CA only - sounds fair. Good job elon! :/
This is/was not some free give away to CA owners/drivers out of the goodness of Tesla's heart or as a nice treat. It was another step in Tesla's concerted strategy to minimize the potentially terrible PR they face during the holidays every year when there's a possibility of dozens of national news stories coming out about insane lines at superchargers delaying folks for 3+ hours and preventing them from getting to their family gatherings on time. Other strategies Tesla has also deployed to address this issue include staffing superchargers with attendants to assist in directing the flow, adding mobile, palletized superchargers to various locations to temporarily increase the stall count of a station, sending their mobile Megapack supercharger rig to increase station size for drastically congested locations, arranging a large diesel generator to supply energy at a critical site that went down right before the holidays and couldn't be re-energized from the grid in time, etc. The entire goal of this particular give away is/was to shift as much travel out of the peak hours as possible so that the existing supercharger infrastructure can deal with the travel surge. And this is almost exclusively a problem in CA.

There are other locations where a single bad supercharger station is going to cause a bit of havoc to people trying to cross a single route when it isn't performing well or has just long been in need of expansion to support the number of cars driving that route. But the issue in CA is that it's a widespread issue over ~50 supercharger stations, 4 or 5 mega travel routes, and the overall number of people potentially being impacted is maybe 100 times higher than in the odd instance in the rest of the country. So, not at all a big surprise that it's only in force for CA so far.

or get us the Tesla CCS adapter so we can charge at other level 3 chargers
I always thought that the EA chargers were at a higher price compared to a Tesla Super Charger. Sure you would have more options if a SC is full but at what price?
There are some from 3rd parties out there. CrazyPostman on YouTube has tried some.
Need to check this out. Thanks.