TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Offers Free Supercharging to Chinese Customers Threatened by Deadly Virus

Discussion in 'China' started by TMC Staff, Jan 28, 2020.

1. TMC Staff

Tesla has unlocked free Supercharging in China as the country deals with the health emergency caused by Coronavirus. Tesla owners in China received a notification the the offer would be available for an indefinite amount of time, as citizens try to flee exposure to the deadly virus. “To make it easier for you to travel...
    READ FULL ARTICLE

2. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

I would think paying for supercharging is the least of their concerns.

3. aaron0k

aaron0k Two failed MCU's on a S40 & S70D; both at 84k.

#3 aaron0k, Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    Agreed, while its a nice gesture; I'm not sure how this helps much. I would think those with the virus are more likely to stay home (which they should) vs. encouraging spread by driving out long distances?

Maybe it's useful to just camp at a Supercharger with your HEPA filter running in biohazard mode?

However I don't think that's the primary motivation... whenever Tesla does this, they get a ton of free marketing/headlines/attention.

4. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

True, but it is one less thing to worry about.

5. aaron0k

aaron0k Two failed MCU's on a S40 & S70D; both at 84k.

I guess Tesla isn't going to give U.S. owners free supercharging during the outbreak? I wonder what our reactions would be if they did.

6. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

If Tesla offers free supercharging in the US, there will be more people using it because they are "free" than using it to escape the virus.