Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Offer's Model Y Auto Frunk Weather Sealing Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to share my current experience with my Model Y Electric Frunk (MARK 4.0) that I ordered from Tesla Offer.

To start off: The experience working with the Tesla Offer (TO) team via WhatsApp has been great, they have videos to help explain more complex issues if you're needing help. Currently I am waiting on a revised version of the controller unaffected by the issues you will see below.

If you order this frunk, be warned that the current Mark 4 model has, what I consider to be, a major issue with the controller. The controller is only rated for IP44 as per the TO team. This works well in most cases, but with where you're expected to store the controller in the frunk, water ingress is easy.

Up until last week, my frunk had worked beautifully and had no issues.

My controller died during the unexpected weather here in Texas last week. The state this left me in is I could not open my frunk, it would act like it was attempting to open, but would fail to unlatch.

To gain access to the funk, I had to use the emergency release cable, so MAKE SURE YOU ROUTE THIS TO YOUR BUMPER ACCESS PORT AND ZIPTIE IT. It required force I would consider to be near breaking to make it unlatch. It took me several tries but I eventually heard the *pop* I expected from the frunk.

Upon getting it open the TO team had me disconnect the 12v running to the battery until they can ship me a replacement controller. They did mention they have an updated, IP67 rated controller coming out soon that they're gonna ship to me.

Upon closer inspection of the controller, you can see where the rubber weather stripping has failed. It looks like this all the way around the controller seam. While the controller itself didn't have any water on it once I got to it, there were other areas nearby that were wet.

sY7NZht.jpg

I would still say this is an awesome product, but its obvious they're working through some manufacturing quirks. Make sure you properly route the emergency release and be prepared to use it.

I wanted to share my current experience with my Model Y Electric Frunk (MARK 4.0) that I ordered from Tesla Offer.

To start off: The experience working with the Tesla Offer (TO) team via WhatsApp has been great, they have videos to help explain more complex issues if you're needing help. Currently I am waiting on a revised version of the controller unaffected by the issues you will see below.

If you order this frunk, be warned that the current Mark 4 model has, what I consider to be, a major issue with the controller. The controller is only rated for IP44 as per the TO team. This works well in most cases, but with where you're expected to store the controller in the frunk, water ingress is easy.

My controller died during the unexpected weather here in Texas last week. The state this left me in is I could not open my frunk, it would act like it was attempting to open, but would fail to unlatch.

To gain access to the funk, I had to use the emergency release cable, so MAKE SURE YOU ROUTE THIS TO YOUR BUMPER ACCESS PORT AND ZIPTIE IT. It required force I would consider to be near breaking to make it unlatch. It took me several tries but I eventually heard the *pop* I expected from the frunk.

Upon getting it open the TO team had me disconnect the 12v running to the battery until they can ship me a replacement controller. They did mention they have an updated, IP67 rated controller coming out soon that they're gonna ship to me.

Upon closer inspection of the controller, you can see where the rubber weather stripping has failed. It looks like this all the way around the controller seam. While the controller itself didn't have any water on it once I got to it, there were other areas nearby that were wet.

sY7NZht.jpg

I would still say this is an awesome product, but its obvious they're working through some manufacturing quirks. Make sure you properly route the emergency release and be prepared to use it.

Thanks. As a precaution, going to check on my controller I recently installed in my S, visually inspect, and most likely, proactively install a bead of black RTV around that area just to be safe.

I’m confused.

I purchased the TO auto frunk when the this forum offered the group bye (thanks again Dave 💪), but I was under the impression that the safety cable WOULD NOT RELEASE unless the 12V battery was dead...

... but now I’m reading that if we pull hard enough it will open!?

Security issue? Does the alarm sound?

I’ve been Über pleased with my purchase & even my wife says it’s pretty neat 😁!

sY7NZht.jpg

@hungyip84

TeslaOffer - Do we have to seal the Main Control Module?

I thought that it was waterproof vs splash proof (not even).

I’m confused.

I purchased the TO auto frunk when the this forum offered the group bye (thanks again Dave 💪), but I was under the impression that the safety cable WOULD NOT RELEASE unless the 12V battery was dead...

... but now I’m reading that if we pull hard enough it will open!?

Security issue? Does the alarm sound?

I’ve been Über pleased with my purchase & even my wife says it’s pretty neat 😁!
Alarm would sound if locked. The car correctly notices the frunk open with the cable opening it

Could you please post a photo of what the new controller sealing looks like?

my model 3 one had the black silicon literally peeling off from all around on the day if installation. I thought it was a bit weird and became slightly concerned about its water proofing.
I applied some black RV silicon around it yesterday but couldn’t go all around as I would need to remove the entire frunk assembly again to get to it.

Hi all,

I had exactly this issue after some rain. Luckily the frunk would still pop open so no need for the emergency release.

Tesla offer were great over telegram and are going to ship me a new control unit. They did say the new one has better waterproofing.

Did you guys get your new units in the end?