Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla offers no guarantees or assurances on battery for Model S or X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model 3 is 15 months old, 16,000 miles. The projected range bounces around a lot, but over the last 6 months, the average value is 323.73 (from the original 325 miles). So thats 0.4% loss, or 0.084 miles per month loss.

That said, I do a lot of things that are good for the battery:

1. I charge just before leaving, so the battery is never sitting at a high SoC.
2. My daily SoC is 65%, and I arrive at work at 55%, so when I get home the car is 45% and it stays there till around 6am the next day when it charges to 65% again.
3. I charge to 90% for weekend trips to keep BMS from seeing mileage skew.

I've done a few supercharges (maybe 10 total), but don't use it often. 40A at home on my nema 14-50.

I haven't heard much in the way of problems for model 3 on battery, and I'd expect all newer batts to be similar. The 100 kwh batts in S also sound like they are doing well.

Irrelevant to the junk 85 batteries that are in the older MS.

Reactions: Chaserr
Had 2 previous Model S
2014 85 Still best car I ever owned
2018 D One of the worst bought back when they couldn't fix the constant rattling when accelerating. Head repair guru said it was the worst Tesla vehicle he ever had to deal with.
Looking at buying a new vehicle and my wife wants try another one.
With this and all the comments about "Love the car hate the company" has me concerned..

Had 2 previous Model S
2014 85 Still best car I ever owned
2018 D One of the worst bought back when they couldn't fix the constant rattling when accelerating. Head repair guru said it was the worst Tesla vehicle he ever had to deal with.
Looking at buying a new vehicle and my wife wants try another one.
With this and all the comments about "Love the car hate the company" has me concerned..

In general, I’d rather love the product more than the company since I do live with the product every day and only deal with the company when there’s an issue. Fortunately I haven’t had many issues with my 2017 S90D.

I’m planning to put over 300k miles on my 2020 Model 3 SR+. A large part of the appeal of Tesla is high miles and low maintenance. Yes, I understand moderate battery degradation, evolving new technology, and safety concerns re charging speeds.

Sure, supercharging at 600 to 1,000 mph is cool, but I’d be happy to have more modest initial supercharging speeds (say 225 mph) if it resulted in greater battery longevity.

Mostly, I charge at home and take good care of my battery. It would really be upsetting if cars were simply throttled back by age, regardless of actual battery condition or through unnecessary artificially induced obsolescence, which I hope is not the case.

Reactions: InternetDude
Irrelevant to the junk 85 batteries that are in the older MS.

OP said: " I love driving the Tesla and was considering going all electric but there is no way I am giving up my other gas car if Tesla's charging performance can degrade this much with no assurances."

His car is 85 kwh, but the issues that plague it aren't universally found across Tesla's other models. So there is no reason to give up on driving an EV unless you're just fedup with what they previously sold you.

Tesla also has the 70% capacity battery warranty for model 3. So there are assurances.

2018S 33k miles, 2 years old, barely supercharged. Now it drops to under 70kwh charge in less than 3min no matter battery status or load at supercharging station. So you will see s75 owners complaining a lot too from now on. Only option - 2 year lease...let Tesla eat their own..you know what.

Reactions: InternetDude
OP said: " I love driving the Tesla and was considering going all electric but there is no way I am giving up my other gas car if Tesla's charging performance can degrade this much with no assurances."

His car is 85 kwh, but the issues that plague it aren't universally found across Tesla's other models. So there is no reason to give up on driving an EV unless you're just fedup with what they previously sold you.

Tesla also has the 70% capacity battery warranty for model 3. So there are assurances.

Nothing guaranteeing that Tesla won't cap your battery to 70% a few years from now and won't throttle charging to 50kw

they changed it to 70% (now officially in new car warranty text too, so that what your new 400 mile S you buy today becomes a 280 mile car, it's still considered "normal" and not covered under warranty).

Nothing guaranteeing that Tesla won't cap your battery to 70% a few years from now and won't throttle charging to 50kw

If you read the current warranty carefully, they explicitly state they will intentionally reduce it to 70% with a batterygate software cap is they feel like it. Not only is there no guarantee they won't - they guarantee they could!

I'm with @SO16 - Nobody would expect Perfection from a company as disorganized as Tesla, but I think we all want them to try. For the last few years they haven't made an effort and it shows.