Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla officially trying to upsell M3 to MS 60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on the M3 waitlist, and got this interesting email from Tesla last night trying to sell me on a MS 60. I think this is a clear indication that Tesla specifically introduced the MS 60 to try and lure M3 people that don't want to wait or feel the lower price point will now make them buy.

Hello xxx,

We are thrilled to have just launched the new Model S 60 and as a valued model 3 reservation holder I wanted to personally reach out to invite you to University Town Center Showroom to experience Model S 60 and 60D. It is a wonderful opportunity to get into a custom designed Tesla with payments starting at $667/mth before gas and tax incentive savings. Depending on your current vehicle trade-in value the monthly payment could be even lower.

We know how excited you are to receive your Model 3 and wanted to ensure you had the chance to work with myself and our team to explore the options of getting into a Tesla even sooner. Please let me know if I can arrange a test drive experience for you or answer any questions. We would also be happy to review your current trade-in options as well. We are here to help you build your dream car and continue our mission to accelerate the transition to sustainable transport.

Please feel free to reach our UTC Showroom Manager, xxx, at xxx or call 858.xxx.

Seems obvious that is what they want to do but I didn't think they would be so forward about it....

I wonder if Tesla feels there are too many Model 3 reservations and this is one way to reduce them? Just a guess.

Yup, looks like a sales email and/or something to entice you until the Model 3 gets here if you have the cash and want both.

They know I don't have the cash and didn't bother to send such an email to me. I just got the normal email advertisement on the launch being on their mailing list and all.

I'm a pre-reveal Model 3 reservation holder, am signed up for their event updates and newsletters, and have a Model S test drive scheduled for Friday evening, but I didn't get the "upsell" email. Perhaps because the nearest store to me is 3 hours away?

(I'll be in Dayton OH over the weekend, and in Cincy for the test drive).

I'm a pre-reveal Model 3 reservation holder, am signed up for their event updates and newsletters, and have a Model S test drive scheduled for Friday evening, but I didn't get the "upsell" email. Perhaps because the nearest store to me is 3 hours away?

That's why I figured I didn't get it. Although, technically Toronto is under 2 hours away. BTW, how many test drives will that make now?

I would love a Model S, but even with a starting price of 66k it isn't low enough to make me switch from my Model 3 preorder. For me, I am not looking at a $35k Model 3, but a Model 3 with AWD, autopilot, etc. To have the same configuration on the Model S that starting price point would be 73.5k, vs an estimated 43k of a Model 3. Is the Model S worth 30k more, I think it is, and I definitely enjoyed the test drive, but I will wait for the Model 3.

(Now lower the starting price to 55k (without incentives) and I am all over it :) )

To anyone who receives this offer from Tesla and who is not going to accept it right now:

There is an ongoing petition to make Tesla offer an optional tow hitch on the Model S:
Petition for tow hitch on the Model S

So think about supporting this petition by replying for example like this:
"The Model S looks good and the price is not too terrible, but I think I need a car with a tow hitch.
Feel free to contact me again, once Tesla has a tow hitch option for the Model S".

I have a first test drive on Friday in Saratoga NY. I might just be convinced enough to buy the S. I am trying to hold back that desire but........ :) I have not received that email......I don't think. I don't always read all emails before deleting :0

Anybody wonder if Tesla would be more effective if they directed their email campaign at non-Tesla owners, instead of ones who have already invested? M3 waitees, perhaps, but those of us who already have a Tesla are probably less likely to buy another, vs someone who has a higher-end ICE coming off lease soon (as an example).

I have a Model S test drive scheduled for Friday afternoon!

I haven't received the email either.

I don't understand why someone would buy a stripped down S for what should be the same price as a fully loaded 3.

Please tell me about this fantasy of a stripped down Model S.

I just looked and the standard equipment listed includes

Technology
  • Regular over-the-air updates add safety and navigation features, enhance performance and improve the driver experience
  • Free long distance travel on Tesla's expanding Supercharger network
  • Maps and navigation with real time traffic information
  • Center console with removable dividers
  • GPS-enabled Homelink
  • Mobile app remote control
  • Rain sensing automatic windshield wipers
  • Twelve way power adjustable, heated front seats with memory and driver profile
  • Automatic keyless entry
Safety
  • Active safety technologies, including side collision avoidance and automatic emergency braking, even at highway speeds
  • Electronic stability and traction control
  • Four wheel antilock disc brakes with electronic parking brake
  • Parking sensors and blind spot warning
  • Full LED headlamps
  • Power-folding, heated side mirrors with memory
  • Three LATCH child seat attachments
  • Eight airbags for driver and passenger heads, knees, and pelvis plus two side curtain airbags
Warranty
  • 8 year, infinite mile battery and drive unit warranty
  • 4 year, 50,000 mile limited warranty

I'm just not seeing a "stripped car" there. Autopilot for $2500 is the only must have over the base model and then paint color of choice for $1000 is a nice want. I don't consider either of those deal breaking prices for add ons and I wouldn't call it a stripped car even without as I can add on the autopilot software later since the HW is already there.

Take a look at a base Honda Civic or a base Toyota Prius they sure sell stripped down cars. You have a funny idea of "stripped" if you think even the lowest 2016 Tesla is stripped.