Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla officially trying to upsell M3 to MS 60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To anyone who receives this offer from Tesla and who is not going to accept it right now:

There is an ongoing petition to make Tesla offer an optional tow hitch on the Model S:
Petition for tow hitch on the Model S

So think about supporting this petition by replying for example like this:
"The Model S looks good and the price is not too terrible, but I think I need a car with a tow hitch.
Feel free to contact me again, once Tesla has a tow hitch option for the Model S".

There is an optional tow hitch available. I have had one on my Model S (previous and current) for over 3 years, and it works beautifully. It seems your only deal breaker point is that Tesla has not said that it allows towing, but that is pretty much a non event, as you can tow Class I with no problems. I also had a tow hitch on my Priuses, and towed, without Toyota's express permission. Concern over warranty is generally overworked.
Trailer 002 sm.jpg

So, I guess the petition for a tow hitch is not what people really mean. What they want is permission. Right?

Attachments

• Trailer 002cr.jpg
    Trailer 002cr.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Trailer 002cr.jpg
    Trailer 002cr.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Trailer 002cr.jpg
    Trailer 002cr.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Trailer 001.JPG
    Trailer 001.JPG
    584.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Trailer 001.JPG
    Trailer 001.JPG
    584.5 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: WarpedOne
AP is a must have! Don't forget
  • Free long distance travel on Tesla's expanding Supercharger network . Does not look like M3 will have that.
  • The $7500 will be long gone before I get a M3
  • I am seriously considering this the more I think about it

I don't understand why someone would buy a stripped down S for what should be the same price as a fully loaded 3.
A base Model S contains an amazing array of standard features, some of which are not available on any other car made by all the other car companies!

We do not yet know what the price of a "fully loaded 3" will be, nor do we know what it will include. But we do know that a base S will offer a larger trunk, larger frunk, free for life Supercharging, and a hatchback which the 3 will not have.

So there are compelling reasons to consider a base S over an optioned 3.

I don't understand why someone would buy a stripped down S for what should be the same price as a fully loaded 3.
Not having to wait 2 years (which assumes everything goes to plan which never happens), having a real trunk that accommodates a dog (e.g no crazy dog on the back seats), being able to fit a couple surfboards without using a roof rack or taking down the passenger front seat.

I admit I am tempted :(

I got an email on June 9th about the S60, but it didn't mention anything about me being a Model 3 reservation owner (previously I also got two other emails about the HEPA filters), so it might have just been generic. I am about an hour away from the nearest showroom.

As for upsell to Model S, I remember Tesla had been doing that since the launch. During the reservation, you could also schedule a test drive of the S, which is obviously an upsell tactic.

I got a similar email, except the Canadian version:

Today we’re excited to reintroduce the Model S 60. Starting at $86,000 or $1,144 a month (details here), the Model S 60 delivers 338 km (EPA est.) of range, a top speed of 210 kph and zero-to-100 acceleration in 5.8 seconds.

With all-wheel drive, the Model S 60D provides more range (351 km EPA est.) and faster acceleration (zero-to-100 in 5.4 seconds).

Like all Tesla vehicles, the 60 and 60D come standard with active safety features and Autopilot hardware. And both versions can later be upgraded through a software update to 75 kWh for about 20% extra range.

Anyone who orders a 60 or any other new Model S or Model X between now and July 15 through the Tesla Referral Program gets a $1,200 credit towards the purchase. Just share your personal code with friends, family or anyone else. As a thank you, there will be a range of awards.

Click below to learn more about Model S 60 and 60D.

Because a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush --- and there's probably not even a better bird in the bush, let alone two.

Plus, two years of my life not driving a Tesla sounds almost like torture to me.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
For me...to be honest, yes I think the Model S is better looking. Not a lot, but I do like its lines a little better. It is bigger, I'll give you that. For me, that is where the benefits end when deciding between a Model 3 and a Model S. Yes, I could have it sooner. For me I don't need it sooner. I won't pay off my Volt for another 10 months and it is going to become my son's transportation so I need to get it paid off first anyway. The S is bigger. I personally don't want bigger. It literally wouldn't fit in my garage plus I just don't need all that room. It's usually just my wife and I when we travel. I would get the $7500 tax credit for sure with an S when I probably won't with my 3, but let's look at that for a second. I just priced an S60 on the Tesla site and put the options on it I would want on my 3. Paint upgrade, Pano roof, Gen 2 seats, AWD, Auto Pilot, Premium Upgrade. Total Price...$81,500 take out the $7500 tax credit and it's $74,000.

For $74,000 I am pretty sure I could get every option available plus the kitchen sink on the Model 3. I am guessing (hoping) the Model 3 version with the above options will be in the neighborhood of $60,000 (and that would be with a larger battery that will charge faster, have more range and degrade at a slower rate.) On top of that I will get it in the time frame I need and not before, and it will fit in my garage (always a plus)!

I'll wait, but thanks for the offer.

Dan

Reactions: pinski
AP is a must have! Don't forget
  • Free long distance travel on Tesla's expanding Supercharger network . Does not look like M3 will have that.
  • The $7500 will be long gone before I get a M3
  • I am seriously considering this the more I think about it
Also worth mentioning 1.74 pc over 78 months financing (likely worth a couple grand), free internet (not sure I want to go over the mess of using my iPhone as a hotspot, or using my phone for directions as I do now), $1k referral.

In my case though (CA) I think I will qualify for the tax rebate.. So it kind of makes the decision more difficult..

Anybody wonder if Tesla would be more effective if they directed their email campaign at non-Tesla owners, instead of ones who have already invested? M3 waitees, perhaps, but those of us who already have a Tesla are probably less likely to buy another, vs someone who has a higher-end ICE coming off lease soon (as an example).
This is classic marketing 101 though. Keep your most loyal fans engaged in all your latest products, it's like when Apple releases their next wave of ground-breaking electronics, they notify their most ardent fans first because a certain percentage of your clients will ALWAYS want to have the latest model. They get addicted to it! I image their are one or eight-thousand of those kinds of folks in the Tesla universe that are members of this very forum. ;) Admit it guys, which of you MUST have the latest and greatest that Tesla has to offer?!