Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla on a treadmill

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here me out. Why can’t they build a giant treadmill that could be in a downward sloping position to put a car on so that gravity pulls it downward and regenerative braking kicks in and the car doesn’t roll off the treadmill and continuously recharges the battery?

Free energy. You’re welcome.

I’m calling that InventHelp place I see on TV and I’m getting my patent. Toodaloo, suckers!

Yeah, but you’re forgetting that you can’t make it because “the elites” won’t let you… so they can charge you for more electricity. Otherwise all EVs would have alternators on each wheel that fully recharge the battery as you drive. 😂

Yes, I am joking, but someone on Instagram actually gave this explanation. When I mentioned that it’s not a thing because it’s impossible and explained why, their reponse was “yeah, but how do you KNOW?”

You’re all overthinking this. The car is electric - run an incandescent light bulb off of that. Now you have heat. Add a small water pump that drips onto it and now you have steam. A small turbine uses that steam to drive a generator. The generator produces more electricity. As a bonus you now have ambient lighting in your car. 100% efficient and safe. Simple.

A few years ago, during the Americas Cup races in San Francisco Bay, I seem to remember the commentators saying that the boats could go faster than the wind. It had something to do with the way their "sails" were shaped to actually speed up the wind as it pushed against the boats' sails. I know I'm being very vague on this, and I know it would appear to violate the laws of thermodynamics but I was wondering if anyone reading this can clarify what I remember from that Americas Cup race.

A few years ago, during the Americas Cup races in San Francisco Bay, I seem to remember the commentators saying that the boats could go faster than the wind. It had something to do with the way their "sails" were shaped to actually speed up the wind as it pushed against the boats' sails. I know I'm being very vague on this, and I know it would appear to violate the laws of thermodynamics but I was wondering if anyone reading this can clarify what I remember from that Americas Cup race.
Correct. When tacking you have wind coming at nearly right angles. This energy can be redirected by the sails to push the boat faster along. Of course. sailing downwind it is impossible to go faster than the wind. Or even close to the same speed. The laws of aerodynamics. Thermodynamics has nothing to do with it.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC