Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla on Autopilot crashes into police cruiser: Lansing, MI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL, what? This is very common.

Yeah, especially when there is a dead deer in the road, car parts, disabled vehicles, etc. I don't understand why this is somehow the police cruiser's fault - or why it's the fault of the person who hit the deer because they "should have pulled over" (how do we know that was even possible?). The police cruiser has every right to be stopped in the middle of the road with their lights on, if it is necessary. That's what they do. It's not a problem at all to avoid them; they are extremely visible (though many humans have a problem doing so, and clearly AP has major & unpredictable limitations in this regard as well). This seems to come up every time someone rams into a police cruiser stopped in the middle of the freeway though. It's very odd.

Reactions: Needsdecaf
at the 12:03 mark. Shows that even in broad daylight, AP/FSD isnt 100% at preventing a T bone (which in this case, if it were to have been an accident, it would have clearly been the Tesla at fault). Moral of story? PAY ATTENTION AT ALL TIMES

at the 12:03 mark. Shows that even in broad daylight, AP/FSD isnt 100% at preventing a T bone (which in this case, if it were to have been an accident, it would have clearly been the Tesla at fault). Moral of story? PAY ATTENTION AT ALL TIMES

Yeah. Not even close to 100%, which is not surprising at all. This has been discussed in the Videos thread. Right now FSD is frequently reliant of the actions of other drivers to avoid an accident.

Yeah. Not even close to 100%, which is not surprising at all. This has been discussed in the Videos thread. Right now FSD is frequently reliant of the actions of other drivers to avoid an accident.
at the 12:03 mark. Shows that even in broad daylight, AP/FSD isnt 100% at preventing a T bone (which in this case, if it were to have been an accident, it would have clearly been the Tesla at fault).
Preventing a T bone would imply collision avoidance, which this is not. This is 100% causation of a t-bone collision.

As AlanSubie4Life points out the only collision avoidance in preventing an accident here is the driver, and the other drivers.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

This person have to is fsd beta revoke because 1. They make bad videos curiously appear on all media anti Tesla and 2. They never had hands on the wheel first line you have to accept when you receive fsd beta !!!!

This person have to is fsd beta revoke because 1. They make bad videos curiously appear on all media anti Tesla

Tesla made the choice to let people post the videos. If they don't like what comes of that, they have nobody to blame but themselves. It's not this person's job to only post the good.

They never had hands on the wheel first line you have to accept when you receive fsd beta !!!!

you can't see the whole wheel. My left hand is always on the 9 o'clock position so if I set up a camera in my car at the same angle, it'd look like my hand's not on the wheel either. Then again, the torque sensing to verify hands on wheel is such a stupid idea that it doesn't think my hand is on the wheel a lot of the time, either…

Reactions: Needsdecaf
Tesla made the choice to let people post the videos. If they don't like what comes of that, they have nobody to blame but themselves. It's not this person's job to only post the good.

you can't see the whole wheel. My left hand is always on the 9 o'clock position so if I set up a camera in my car at the same angle, it'd look like my hand's not on the wheel either. Then again, the torque sensing to verify hands on wheel is such a stupid idea that it doesn't think my hand is on the wheel a lot of the time, either…

They do have some agreement with the Early access people not to say anything negative about Tesla. That's why they're all really careful in not using the kind of language I would use when it screws up.

Have we seen any evidence that they kicked off anyone who's videos we've seen? Evidence that Elon just didn't say that to appease fears about misuse?

They do have some agreement with the Early access people not to say anything negative about Tesla. That's why they're all really careful in not using the kind of language I would use when it screws up.

Have we seen any evidence that they kicked off anyone who's videos we've seen? Evidence that Elon just didn't say that to appease fears about misuse?

I'd love to see the agreement. In any case, there've definitely been some bad moments posted, so perhaps they can't make disparaging comments but there's apparently no restriction about showing what FSD can do wrong.

I'd love to see the agreement. In any case, there've definitely been some bad moments posted, so perhaps they can't make disparaging comments but there's apparently no restriction about showing what FSD can do wrong.

From my recollection it was that exactly.

So you could show FSD failing 8 out of 10 times, but you couldn't say "Why are they even wasting my time with this crap?".

Now if it was me I'd forbid phrases like "it's a life hack" and basically any other marketing like speak. Where it could only be engineering speak. :)

Seriously. I love when it starts with the warnings when I have BOTH hands on the wheel.

If an insurance company watched these videos I wonder if they would jack your insurance for unsafe driving
Nope. Insurance companies don't try and decide what's safe and what's not based on news stories or videos. They simply use statistics to see what systems have a good safety record. They don't freak out at one publicized crash, they look at hundreds and thousands of accidents. USAA came to the conclusion that Tesla Autopilot was safe because the accident rate while autopilot is engaged is incredibly low. That's why my rates dropped when I sold my $20K Nissan and bought a $70K Tesla. (I even upped my coverage with the Tesla.) That said some companies will use any excuse to gouge you whether your vehicle is safe or not. Typically, those same companies have a horrible reputation for claims performance.