Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla on Jalopnik.com (leasing story)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any press is good press? This is Jalopnik's homepage right now.

Tesla on Jalopnik.PNG

Well, they're right, $500/mo is a ridiculous thing to advertise.

Completely agree. You know, $700 or $800/month wouldn't be so bad, and would get them in the ballpark of reality (gas savings etc.). Tesla left itself totally open on this one. They want to not be "an expensive toy for the rich", but this is an expensive car, even in its cheapest form, and even with the total cost of ownership for the life of the car. That's OK -- that was the plan. Gen 3 will be the economically viable car for the masses. This was just overzealousness on Tesla's part, and we've seen this before where no one stops the freight train as it barrels down the tracks, and Tesla ends up with a self-created situation on their hands.

The calculator isn't so bad, but there are a lot of silly boxes that should be there for interest's sake only. What they really mean is $500 extra a month--only they don't say extra. When I used the calculator and put in the real numbers, I came out with about $14/mo. savings.

Yeah, their math is doable but it's almost impossible to get there. Jalopnik is, however, indefensibly poor journalism. They seem to be especially angry that Tesla managed to make Model S. They're on record as saying Model S was vaporware that would never be made. Well, Tesla made it, made it well and is selling it like crazy.

Agree with the rest of you. Jalopnik - not good - but Tesla set themselves up for this one. Hard to blame the kid for kicking the football when it's propped up so nicely...

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. Jalopnik is not serious journalism. It's the bad press from Motor Authority, Bloomberg and WSJ, that this $500/month fuzzy math invoked, that bothers me.

Larry

Well actually... it's not Jalopnik. All they're doing is linking to this article on Car & Driver that did the leg work... Tesla’s Model S Lease and Financing Program Expensive, Misleading – News – Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

Tesla's math is not great -- I think we are all agreed on that.

BUT

I've done 11k miles on my car. I have not had to fill up with gas at all. My old car would have needed 28 fills by now. I usually went out of my way to fill on the way home from work (I have a very strict schedule in the morning the usually prohibits filling time). Filling took around 8 minutes. I've saved around 336 minutes of time here including travel. I've also saved $1400 in gas. My time is worth a lot to me. They are on to something there.

My time is worth a lot to me. They are on to something there.

I do think they've hit a psychological target with this one, but one must admit that there are a certain few out there that could actually recoup the minutes/hours lost to dealing with an ICE, and then there are those who feel like their time is worth a lot but in reality it is not.

The whole concept of driving away with a $75,000 car for $500/mo is ludicrous.

In Elon Musk's shoes, given the choice between having Jalopnik.com publish this or nothing on Tesla, I take this. What Tesla needs is awareness of its offering, and this gives just that. Nobody who was about to decide to buy a Model S is going to go "wait a minute - it really isn't $500???".