Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla on Speed Vision Supercars Exposed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On DirecTV

"Speed" is channel 607 ("SPD") on DirecTV ... never watched it before, but am receiving it. Just checked -- not premium -- but I can't find the program in this evenings schedule .... :confused:

EDIT: Thanks to my "delayed intelligence" I just realized this original post was made YESTERDAY ...

Last edited:
First they checked out an SSC Aero, (beautiful, even if it is a gasser), then a new Shelby Super Snake GT 500.
Then on to the Tesla. They talked about how conventional thinking was you needed high hp low mileage motors for performance, and how the Tesla has changed all that. Mentioned the Lotus roots and the emphasis on performance. They did some cheesy visual "Jokes", opening up the hood and finding a bunch of Duracell 9 volt batteries :rolleyes:
They talked about how easy it is to charge, "like your cell phone", the quiet motor of the car, and the great handling, (a deer jumped out into the road in front of them :eek: ). Overall very positive segment.
Next they looked at the electric AC Cobra replica from HST. They did some nice tire smoking donuts with it :biggrin: 120 mile range for $125K The driver said it probably out accelerated the gas 427. Then the cheesy joke driving off with an unplugged extension cord hanging from the vehicle and "wondering" why the performance had dropped :rolleyes: However, over all positive for the vehicle.
The segment probably showed up on youtube while I was typing this

Watched it tonight... The electric Cobra did sort of steal the show a bit with all those (1000 ft-lb) burnouts.

They spent a lot of time in the LA store looking at (what appears to be) VP16, then taking it for a nice long drive around town. The host (who is no stranger to performance driving) seemed to really like it. When he earlier drove the SSC he said that it had steering that was too "heavy", but he didn't say anything negative about the Roadster. Jeremy Snyder said something like "Tesla goals were performance, style, then efficiency". I thought the show was fun because they spent some time getting opinions from people on the street (which were generally "wow"), and also got video of the car in motion from some interesting camera angles. Since the show is all too familiar with high performance cars, they didn't go over the top on Tesla performance capabilities, but rather emphasized the point that it doesn't need any gas.

Overall, it was a fairly "lightweight" show just having fun with the cars.