Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla on the beach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw this photo. Someone drove their Tesla onto a beach in Corolla, NC. Driving in sand may be beyond its capabilities.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,419
Oh, man - that is gonna take some digging to get out.

I imagine the combination of weight/ low clearance/ performance tires was a killer. Normally I think you want big fatty tires and to air them down for sand.

Ouch... no way I'd have tried that. Mind you there were people who went to high school with a cousin who drove the Hummer their parents got them into a lake, thinking it had the snorkel kit/submarine mode... totaling it and immediately bought them a new Hummer with the snorkel kit. I think some people have too much money/don't appreciate the nice things they can afford.

But good to know in case I have some need to drive on the sand, that my Tesla can't do it.

Not so much on the beach, as in the beach.
I had a professor admit to the class that when he was in college he went to Daytona with his Austin Healey. Spent the day partying. Returned to find a crowd looking at the top of the windshield of his car as the rest was under the incoming tide. He said he stood with them listening to all the comments about the idiot who parked like that for a half hour before he had the nerve to admit it was he.
I hope they got this one out without any tidal issues.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Actually dual motor model S would be fine on the sand, so long as:
1. Not so soft that underbody drags.
2. Tyres deflated to about 16psi.
3. Not too fast that you sandburn the bodywork.

That image the sand looks way too soft to take a low car like this, but the drivetrain itself is actually superior to most 4X4s.

• Informative
Reactions: MGMDaware and Magus
When we were there last summer the locals were recommending 18" clearance to drive on the beach. We just paid to go on one of the tours to see the (not so) wild horses. In some places the ruts are pretty deep. Right after the end of the paved road there was a Lexus and a Honda CRV stuck.