Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla on the beach

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually dual motor model S would be fine on the sand, so long as:
1. Not so soft that underbody drags.
2. Tyres deflated to about 16psi.
3. Not too fast that you sandburn the bodywork.

That image the sand looks way too soft to take a low car like this, but the drivetrain itself is actually superior to most 4X4s.
What makes you say that isn't a D? Looks to me like it is ... notice that the front wheels, as well as the rear wheels, are dug in to the sand, with a small pile built up at the rear of the tires. To me that suggests all 4 wheels spun, grabbed no traction, and the car sunk in soft sand.

I've been there before and seen this with other "all wheel drive" cars (eg Audi, BMW) but not 4x4s. For sand, you need not just 2 driving axles, you also need big, thick, low pressure tires.

Not all 4 wheel drive vehicles are 4x4's
You would be surprised what a mini can do, in my youth we use to go drive sand dunes with a little purple mini (No doors,no roof, just a role cage) The light weight made it so easy to drive on the sand where proper 4x4's got stuck and when ever it did get stuck two people could lift it out and drive again. Great times...

I am surprised you guys are still allowed to drive on the beaches, in SA it has been banned for a number of years now and for good reason. The guys just took it to far and would mess up the local ecology.

What makes you say that isn't a D? Looks to me like it is ... notice that the front wheels, as well as the rear wheels, are dug in to the sand, with a small pile built up at the rear of the tires. To me that suggests all 4 wheels spun, grabbed no traction, and the car sunk in soft sand.

I've been there before and seen this with other "all wheel drive" cars (eg Audi, BMW) but not 4x4s. For sand, you need not just 2 driving axles, you also need big, thick, low pressure tires.
I didn't say it wasn't a D.

Caption contest time!

image-jpg.187939

"I was using autopilot and look what happened!!!!"

I don't know that I would air down normal car tires that much, especially not low profile ones. They don't have the reinforced sidewalls that off-road tires have to be able to take the lower pressures.

But, these situations are why I own an off-road equipped Tacoma. :)
It's all good, you can deflate to about 12psi before hitting problems.
Can't drive fast though. After you get off the beach you have to pump up straight away, or limp to nearest pump at slow speed (50km/h or 30mpg max).
Go lower than 12psi and you can roll the rims if there's any lateral force (cornering).
Clearance is crucial in soft sand, which is probably what led to this guy's bad day.
On another point, traction control is the enemy on sand. You must disable it. Normal sand driving has a little bit of wheel spin, and traction control will keep reducing torque, you so you will end up going too slowly or not at all.
I've done hundreds of hours beach driving here in Aus :)

Reactions: Az_Rael
haha, I googled Telsa on the beach and I got this thread. Look at the difference in tires between the Tesla and the truck. How long until we have an electric monster car ? Pimp my Tesla !

What some of you might not know is that there are a ton of really luxury houses north of Corolla with no road so you have to drive on the beach to get there. I imagine this owner thought - well ok, if that's what it takes.

This guy had more luck.