TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tesla on the least reliable cars list - owners agree?

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by DJ 240V, Oct 25, 2016.

?

Is your tesla unreliable ?

1. Yes - not what I expected from Tesla

2. Not my model S! What are you taking about?

3. My model X has some issues, but that's expected for an early adopter

4. Slightly disappointed with Model x

5. My model S has some issues , wish it was better.

6. I love my model x

7. Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. DJ 240V

DJ 240V Member

2. traxila

traxila Member

My biggest problems have stemmed from the tires. Specifically going flat. Or bending the wheel when I hit camouflaged potholes. But...this is all about the terrible roads of New York City and not a tesla specific problem.

Never been stranded. There have been issues, but whenever I need service I schedule, take it in, and DRIVE ANOTHER TESLA!!!

Awesome. Long as I am driving a Tesla I am happy.

• Helpful x 1
  3. Xenius

Xenius Member

Only thing I had on my S was the left mirror replaced because sometimes it wouldn't fully extend. I think they just slipped it some pills and everything is all back to normal! Wouldn't even put a mark against them for it.

• Like x 1
  4. DJ 240V

DJ 240V Member

Do you have 19" or bigger?

5. N5329K

N5329K Member

Consumer Reports is a trusted source. If they say there's a problem here, it's likely that despite some owner's anecdotal evidence to the contrary that there's a problem. I've been worrying about QC for a long time. It is a hurdle TM will have to find a way to jump. Their current predicament comes from a relatively small number of owner/fans. They will face a tsunami of disappointed Model 3 buyers who will have higher expectations and lower tolerance for doors that don't open or close properly, devices that don't work as they should or panels and seals that are incorrectly installed.
    Honestly, this is exactly where legacy automakers have believed Tesla will be brought down. Not by an inability to design stunning, compelling electric vehicles. But by the mundane, day-to-day grind of manufacturing, delivery, reliability and service. Stuff they've been doing a long time, and doing it acceptably.
    Robin

• Like x 2
  6. Tony8489

Tony8489 Member

I view the latest Consumer Reports as a positive for Tesla because Model S was rated below average in reliability last year but average this year. This means Model S is back on CR's recommended list.

Anyone reading these forums knew Model X was going to get a poor reliability rating in its rollout year. CR, like many of us here, is concerned that the falcon wing doors may be a chronic reliability issue.

Our Model S had two noise issues in the first month which were easily resolved. One was a squeak in the right side dashboard. The more annoying noise was caused by the lower half of the plastic license plate frame breaking off, causing the upper half to resonate loudly against the rear hatch. Thus after 11,400 miles I consider my Model S reliable so far.

I agree that quality control on the Model 3 will be a make or break issue for Tesla.

• Like x 1
  7. traxila

traxila Member

19. Always had 19. Still knew it would be problem cause, well cause NYC is a construction area dammit. The whole damn city.
    LOL

• Funny x 1
  8. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

The Model S reliability rating for 2016 is Excellent. For 2015 it was Good and Poor for 2014. They still predict 2017 reliability will be Average. I would go with the trendline and say probably Excellent since Tesla has not indicated any huge changes in the next year, though the new AP hardware could have some problems. Any time cars change, there will be a reliability hit and the bigger the change, the bigger the hit. This is true for all manufacturers.

The only issue I took my car in for was cold air leaking into the passenger side foot well when the A/C was on, but after checking it out and discussing it with engineering, it appears it was working as designed. They tested a number of cars at the service center and they all do it. It's one thing my SO hates about the car. She gets cold easily and hates having her feet cold.

They did put in a request to engineering to look at closing off the foot well vents completely when the A/C is blowing through the upper vents.

9. electricity

electricity Member

A trusted source ? They pulled the recomendation of the iphone 4 while millons of people loved it and never had a problem. So no, its not a trusted source.

• Like x 1
  10. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Consumer Reports is slanted at times. In addition, to determine the reliability issue they take into account early manufacturing issue which have since been corrected. Therefore, the rating consumer reports gives has no bearing on a Model X if you were to go buy a brand new one today.

So besides the used market, what's the point of the rating? Tesla does not have year models, The major defects happened in a very specific time period.

11. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

The value is that they get some sort of third party rating out there. There has to be something to motivate manufacturers to improve the product. I think their system is pretty transparent. Unfortunately the rest of the media doesn't seem to understand how it works and likes to spin it in a way that sells the most papers.

12. stevem

stevem Member

I've had a lot of little problems, and some major ones. I like the fact that I had a gen 1 roof, on my S, they discovered it had binding in the tracks and replaced it with a gen 2 roof. They also said they changed the charging port to a new version.

But it's been in twice for black gook on the windows and 3 times for water in the reverse lights. In for bugs in the tail lights (which they were very reluctant to fix, but finally did it for free). Clicking in the steering column, something binding. Autopilot is unavailable errors. And 3g going out and not coming back on. All in 18 months.

I was at a Tesla event and talking to some people and I was complaining I was taking mine in for water in the reverse lights for a 3rd time, and one guy said "I'm glad I've never had that problem" I walked around to the back of his car and both his reverse lights had water in them. He didn't even realize he had that. Maybe some people are less picky than I'm being.

13. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I've always heard the early Model S models had issues.

Have you been inside any of the new ones? Would you say the quality has improved?

14. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

Twice in my lifetime NYC potholes have stranded me. :mad: The rats build communities in those potholes :)

I said this on another thread. I am glad Model X received poor quality issues and it's probably deserved. Tesla? Are you paying attention?

15. swengl

swengl Member

The one thing I wish the writers would elaborate upon is this: Tesla resolves a ton of issues through the use of OTA software updates. I think everyone knew the X would get poor ratings to start with, even Tesla has admitted that they threw way too much new design/technology into it and probably should have phased some of it in over time. If they continue to improve the overall design/functionality through updates though, I think that would put owners more at ease. Level 5 autonomy wasn't built in a day ;)

16. Knightowl

Knightowl Whovian

Other than door handle failure on my 2014 model S no issues. Wish they would just replace all gen 1 handles. Over 50k miles so outside of warranty.

17. stevem

stevem Member

I have a 2015 with auto pilot. VIN in the 83K range. I don't know if I would call mine an "early model". Got it late spring last year. I have been in newer ones, I see slight differences, but I haven't spent enough time in anything newer to say it's better or worse than my 2015 S.

I've been in older ones, and noticed drive line milling machine noises. And noticed mine is improved from the older ones. I believe I noticed the improvement in the new roof design from my original one. But no notice of newer ones than mine other than aesthetics.

18. flashflood

flashflood Member

I've had three issues with my 2014 P85: drive unit needed replacement, sunroof failed to open, and charge port magnet fell off. (Oh, and of course both vanity mirror covers snapped off within the first month -- but since the mirrors aren't illuminated anyway, good riddance.)

I don't know whether CR distinguishes between major failures (drive unit replacement) and minor ones, but to me they're all the same. Tesla fixes everything under warranty in my experience, so whether they replace a button or the entire car, the impact on me as an owner is identical: it's just the time spent dropping off and picking up the car. What matters to me is frequency of repairs, and that has been about average compared to my previous Lexus GS400 or my wife's BMW X3.

19. DFibRL8R

DFibRL8R Member

Well a failure that leaves you stranded should matter. From reading the forums over the years, those are pretty few and far between. Calling a drive unit "failed" because it makes an unpleasant noise is an overstatement IMHO. If it actually fails and the driver is forced to pull over and call a flatbed, that matters. Everything else is just a minor hassle. Consumer reports doesn't allow for this level of granularity in their ratings so the self-reported data from a small sample of their subscribers is pretty difficult to make much sense of.

20. flashflood

flashflood Member

Agreed. And what about oil changes? Shouldn't something the owner has to do every 3,000 miles count against reliability? Same with replacing belts and hoses. "Regularly scheduled maintenance" is still maintenance, and Tesla requires none of it.