Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla only taking orders of PWs with Solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
The title of the Electrek article says it all for those thinking of adding a PW system. Looks also to lock out people with older solar systems too at this point, and just wanting to add the battery back up. I’m sure Texas orders have had a lot to do with increased demand in general.

Wonder if your only choice is now going through a third party if you already have solar and just looking for backup. Feel for those who held off getting PWs thinking to add at a later date. Personally I like knowing all of our equipment was installed by the same company. With third parties getting a limited supply of PWs during the year getting on their install list earlier would seem like the best choice.

Last edited:
Another user noticed this a week ago (Tesla no longer selling Powerwall without solar?) but at the time it was not clear why... it does not look like the article has much additional information beyond that it is in fact not possible to buy PWs without solar on the website. I agree about getting everything from one company and had wondered if Tesla might take orders from existing customers who want to add PWs. A lot of it may depend on how long this rule will remain in effect.

Another user noticed this a week ago (Tesla no longer selling Powerwall without solar?) but at the time it was not clear why... it does not look like the article has much additional information beyond that it is in fact not possible to buy PWs without solar on the website. I agree about getting everything from one company and had wondered if Tesla might take orders from existing customers who want to add PWs. A lot of it may depend on how long this rule will remain in effect.

I was looking for that thread, to merge this post with that one, but couldnt remember the title and had trouble finding it. I am not going to merge them now, since that would make your post not make sense (lol).

Like you mention though, it depends on how long this policy is in place. My opinion on this, not based on anything other than opinion, is that tesla simply can not make them fast enough, and is trying to find a way to slow down orders on them.

Since they cant effectively say something like "only those in these hard hit areas can place orders" or any other such location discrimination, the only choice they have is to reduce sales of the product by tying it to another product (which is what they are doing).

My guess is, they will have this policy in place until they calculate they are reducing their order backlog, instead of it getting longer, matched against their powerwall production numbers. When that happens, I dont know.

Just like there are other options for EVs but the only EV that sells in any "real" numbers are Tesla EVs, there are other home battery products but the only one that sells in any real numbers are tesla powerwalls.

This could end up helping other companies that sell battery solutions to gain some more market share of this market, which, currently is a somewhat niche market but getting less so by the month (just like EVs).

Looks like Electrek has been reading TMC and Reddit again. The article had no info other than what users have posted on the forums. A comment from Tesla would have been nice— such as what happens to orders placed before the website stopped accepting orders for Powerwall to be added to existing solar PV.

Looks like Electrek has been reading TMC and Reddit again. The article had no info other than what users have posted on the forums. A comment from Tesla would have been nice— such as what happens to orders placed before the website stopped accepting orders for Powerwall to be added to existing solar PV.

Thats one of the many reasons I dont pay too much attention to them ( electrek). They pretty much just seem to quote people and threads here, as their own content, quite a bit.

Reactions: TespaceX
Those Tesla Solar people are a captive market and may have already been solicited. I assume it is a push to get more revenue per Powerwall install. Calling Tesla could put anyone in an endless loop that ends up with a recording telling them to go online. I would be surprised to hear that Tesla has someone taking phone calls for Powerwall orders but give it a try if you think it would work?

3rd parties are still getting a steady supply in some cases, not so steady in others. Supply is clearly limited.

I agree that Powerwall demand is through the roof, but battery production in general is lagging. Tesla response is similar to others, to limit the difficult jobs/custom rework, they might only sell Powerwalls with a PV system, or if there is no PV on site.

3rd parties are still getting a steady supply in some cases, not so steady in others. Supply is clearly limited.

I agree that Powerwall demand is through the roof, but battery production in general is lagging. Tesla response is similar to others, to limit the difficult jobs/custom rework, they might only sell Powerwalls with a PV system, or if there is no PV on site.
Not clear how this story is going to develop. Seems many have ordered a long time ago, but based on who they ordered from, it might be a long long time from now when they might get one. And anyone want to order now to add onto an existing system, is your company taking orders for those? Amazing such a demand and limited supply and no other company seems to be stepping up. I am having SO much fun playing with mine, seeing me go off grid so much. Once we get some good sunny days, might even be more.

What is your thoughts on NEM3 possible impacts to the solar business? I know if I am every going to try and get more solar, now is the time. If you cannot recharge the batteries fast enough, the quantity means nothing. I have enough quantity if I can just keep charged.

At the moment the firm I work for will not take orders for PW on an existing PV system that we did not install. We will install PW only jobs without PV systems.
We are about 4-6 months out from contract signed to Powerwall install, depending on complexity. The demand is only going up in my experience, especially if this summer has many PSPS events again.

NEM 3 is going to be a fight, and the utilities cannot be allowed to rule this. I know I am going to do everything i personally can to fight it.

At the moment the firm I work for will not take orders for PW on an existing PV system that we did not install. We will install PW only jobs without PV systems.
We are about 4-6 months out from contract signed to Powerwall install, depending on complexity. The demand is only going up in my experience, especially if this summer has many PSPS events again.

NEM 3 is going to be a fight, and the utilities cannot be allowed to rule this. I know I am going to do everything i personally can to fight it.
So you will install PW on homes without solar?

I have heard that some installers have been promised PW's, but either are getting nothing now, or very few, with no input from Telsa when things might improve.

So what are you telling folks who you took an order for PW's? Since you cannot promise when they will get, do you just say sorry, have to wait?

Still amazing there does not seem to be a competitor to PW's, yet

That is great! I can only say that I wish that my non-Tesla installer was getting that same supply and priority from Tesla.

I am being told Q3, 2021 target for installation from a May 2020 order date based on lack of supply from Tesla. I have a neighbor in the same boat, different third party vendor. (Two of the largest nonTesla installers locally... and I am guessing that you work for the largest.)

Any insights into why your company is doing so much better than others at procuring Powerwalls? Just curious.

All the best,

BG

That is great! I can only say that I wish that my non-Tesla installer was getting that same supply and priority from Tesla.

I am being told Q3, 2021 target for installation from a May 2020 order date based on lack of supply from Tesla. I have a neighbor in the same boat, different third party vendor. (Two of the largest nonTesla installers locally... and I am guessing that you work for the largest.)

Any insights into why your company is doing so much better than others at procuring Powerwalls? Just curious.

All the best,

BG
I can guess that it has to do with how long we have been an installer, our size and our clients. We just installed out #1000 unit, and have installed them since the PW1 DC days with StorEdge 7600 Inverters.

We do not sell less than 3 units, and often much more, we do not really advertise, all our business is word of mouth.

Really though its just with a limited supply would you rather route them to many smaller shops to have many small questions, or a few bigger shops who are already up to speed, and don't really need any support besides equipment to flow steadily.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
There are several other good options for solar/battery backup.
Sonnen eco
Outback Power Skybox
Enphase Encharge
Generac PWRcell
LG Chem RESU
Tesla isn't the only game in town.

While tesla is not the only game in town, as you say, I would be highly surprised if you added the total installed base of all those companies you just named together, and they came out = to number of powerwalls installed.

There are other options but for many, "home battery storage" = powerwall.

While tesla is not the only game in town, as you say, I would be highly surprised if you added the total installed base of all those companies you just named together, and they came out = to number of powerwalls installed.

There are other options but for many, "home battery storage" = powerwall.
Also, how many of those systems can self consume the non backup loads, or prevent a MSP upgrade with the UL (PCS) Power Control System Listing

What is the fire performance safety like of those systems, which are UL 9540A tested? What does thermal runaway look like? Will they self extinguish?

With a Powerwall you can probably shoot it a couple times at least with a 9mm before it starts to thermal runaway and become an inextinguishable source of fire.

Also, how many of those systems can self consume the non backup loads, or prevent a MSP upgrade with the UL (PCS) Power Control System Listing

What is the fire performance safety like of those systems, which are UL 9540A tested? What does thermal runaway look like? Will they self extinguish?

With a Powerwall you can probably shoot it a couple times at least with a 9mm before it starts to thermal runaway and become an inextinguishable source of fire.
I believe that these all have proper certifications. Otherwise they couldn't be sold.
Most of these also use LFP batteries which have a longer life and are much safer than Tesla Powerwall batteries. Powerwalls can and do catch fire in thermal runaway. LFP batteries don't do that.
I have installed several of the Outback Skyboxes at my house with LFP batteries. I've found them to be much more flexible in configuration than the Powerwall which restricts your power options. Can set it for self consumption, on grid, off grid, grid interactive. Rapid Shutdown. The Skybox can also take a generator input. Includes MPPT inverter. Works with AC solar. Can set it up to use any type of 48v battery.
I know that everybody here loves Tesla Powerwalls but there are other options and I am happy that Tesla failed to deliver for more than a year and I found a better alternative.

Reactions: Vines
I believe that these all have proper certifications. Otherwise they couldn't be sold.
Most of these also use LFP batteries which have a longer life and are much safer than Tesla Powerwall batteries. Powerwalls can and do catch fire in thermal runaway. LFP batteries don't do that.
I have installed several of the Outback Skyboxes at my house with LFP batteries. I've found them to be much more flexible in configuration than the Powerwall which restricts your power options. Can set it for self consumption, on grid, off grid, grid interactive. Rapid Shutdown. The Skybox can also take a generator input. Includes MPPT inverter. Works with AC solar. Can set it up to use any type of 48v battery.
I know that everybody here loves Tesla Powerwalls but there are other options and I am happy that Tesla failed to deliver for more than a year and I found a better alternative.
So, you can charge your batteries from the grid?