Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla only taking orders of PWs with Solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I imagine they cannot legally if the person took the tax write-off on solar and batteries. But, if the installer left the configuration mode password behind ...
Tesla enforces the tax credit limitation.
Skybox relies on you to follow the law.
(FWIW, I don't charge or discharge batteries from the grid... although I can do it. I'm on simple net metering so no TOU advantage in exercising the batteries.)

Tesla enforces the tax credit limitation.
Skybox relies on you to follow the law.
(FWIW, I don't charge or discharge batteries from the grid... although I can do it. I'm on simple net metering so no TOU advantage in exercising the batteries.)
Yeah - as far as I am aware, Tesla does not have any legal obligation to ensure customers follow the rules on this - but it is likely that they see it as a better approach than potentially having the IRS ask for records or get bad publicity, especially since Tesla as a company has derived significant benefit from IRS Tax breaks (both the ITC and the EV credit when Tesla vehicles qualified.) Additionally, depending on the interconnection agreement, there can be rules around grid charging and/or discharging, and they may have found it easiest just to go with the more strict rules than try to deal with it on a case-by-case basis.

I can imagine that for other companies, the calculus might be a bit different.

Just found out that you can no longer purchase powerwalls without solar. This is going to make Enphase, Generac, etc very excited. What are your thoughts on why they are doing this?

Walled garden?
Shortage?

(moderator note: thread moved into existing discussion )

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like it's true.

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 4.28.19 PM.png

I'm so glad I got my Powerwalls installed less than a month ago, with my own solar (my installation is way larger than the biggest one Tesla would do for me). Wonder if this is just a temporary thing though, due to a lack of supply of PWs. My installers said they were swamped.

Just noticed at Tesla.com- no more standalone solar orders- all include Powerwall now. Just as promised, only later than expected (no surprise!).

Also, Powerwall + specs are now listed along with Powerwall. Maybe some more technical folks can discuss the technical differences pertaining to power capacity with/without sun and back-up mode vs. on-grid.

• Informative
Reactions: SoCal Dave
Is Tesla no longer applying a discount for installing solar panels and Powerwalls together? Before they changed the ordering page, when you designed a system with solar panels and Powerwalls, the cost breakdown would show a discount. For two Powerwalls it was $2,000. The new ordering page no longer shows that discount.

Is Tesla no longer applying a discount for installing solar panels and Powerwalls together? Before they changed the ordering page, when you designed a system with solar panels and Powerwalls, the cost breakdown would show a discount. For two Powerwalls it was $2,000. The new ordering page no longer shows that discount.
It looks like it may just be built in to the price now. If I compare the current price to a 8kW + 2 PWs order I placed earlier this year the PW cost is the same $17k which in my case is $16k + $1k ($3k installation - $2k discount). On the other hand the solar cost increased by $1.5k.

There would be no reason to discount a bundle if the only way you can purchase it is said bundle. It would make more sense for it to be included in the price (whatever that price is), like @yblaser mentioned they notice.