Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla only vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The vehicles 12-volt battery powers the contactors of the main pack, so if the 12-volt battery Revere fails you, the car cant power on, on the front bumper where the tow hook is there is a terminal to attach the jumper box, by going so the 12-volt system power on and you can drive the car to another location or your home, tesla, etc...
Seems like that would be a good case for a small cheap one of those li-on portable battery charger/jump packs

The vehicles 12-volt battery powers the contactors of the main pack, so if the 12-volt battery Revere fails you, the car cant power on, on the front bumper where the tow hook is there is a terminal to attach the jumper box, by going so the 12-volt system power on and you can drive the car to another location or your home, tesla, etc...
Thanks. I had not realized that there was a 12v battery but that makes sense. Our Volt has such a system too. Are the terminals for that battery behind some sort of panel in the frunk? I hadn't noticed that but to be honest, haven't looked either.

And is this issue of a dead 12v battery something that a jump from another vehicle could do? I'm thinking AAA's battery jumper service. Thanks.

Reactions: mac9899
Thanks. I had not realized that there was a 12v battery but that makes sense. Our Volt has such a system too. Are the terminals for that battery behind some sort of panel in the frunk? I hadn't noticed that but to be honest, haven't looked either.

And is this issue of a dead 12v battery something that a jump from another vehicle could do? I'm thinking AAA's battery jumper service. Thanks.
It's behind the tow hook cover
Pages from model_y_owners_manual_north_america_en-2.jpg

Good afternoon,

I ordered my first Tesla, a Model Y, a few days ago. Been reading a lot on this site about performance issues, fit and finish issues, as well as flat tires causing Tesla’s to be out of commission for days in some cases. My concern after reading all of these comments is am I making the right decision purchasing a Tesla as my only vehicle? I live in FL in a retirement community and there is virtually no public transportation where I am, so being without a car for more than an afternoon would be very troublesome. Thanks for your response
My Model 3 is now past 3 years and 57,000 miles. Not more than an hour out of service as the three minor issues were quickly handled by a mobile Ranger. So for me much better than the typical dealer drop off.

I have had a flat but I carry a compressor/slime kit and a tire plug kit and I fixed it myself. No need to be at the mercy of others.

I live in Florida and my first tesla (Model S) was our only vehicle for years (family of 5). Any service I had on it came with a loaner Tesla. I never had an issue with it being our only vehicle, in fact, it has been the best experience out of any car I've ever owned.

Reactions: Dandesy
good point. Guess I should keep AAA
Darn, I was hoping that you knew some way to get in. A manual release with a key would be nice. I saw a YT on how to manually open the frunc on an early Model S 70 series (by partially detaching the front wheel liners and reaching in an pulling on a cable on each side) but haven't seen anything like this for the M3 or MY.

I guess you could keep your first born in the frunk. That has an emergency release. Don't know if it's mechanical, but pretty stupid if it's not.

Or in the rear hatch. We know there is a mechanical release on the doors. I'm just thinking the frunk probably has better sound insulation/isolation.

• Disagree
Reactions: 73Bruin
actually I would enjoy stopping at a gas station and taking 5 minutes to fill up rather than an hour at a supercharger ;) That's not a benefit to me, but the car sure has a lot of other things I like to offset that difference.
When I was younger and it didn't hurt to sit so long at a stretch sure - tough out a 12 hr drive to SF, Park City, or Denver in one stretch. Now the chargers give a much needed excuse to get out and get limbered back up. That said, I don't think I've ever spent more than 25-40 minutes tops at a charger and I get to break those trips in two :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Silicon Desert
When I was younger and it didn't hurt to sit so long at a stretch sure - tough out a 12 drive to SF, Park City, or Denver in one stretch. Now the chargers give a much needed excuse to get out and get limbered back up. That said, I don't think I've ever spent more than 25-40 minutes tops at a charger and I get to break those trips in two :)
yes, that's me to some degree. I often travel very long distances in a day and I get a break to eat, restroom, and walk a little. Yet, the car is rarely ready to go even after I take those long breaks, hence my comment that I would actually welcome a 5 minute gas fill-up on occasion. :)

I am considering the purchase of a Tesla face the same dilemma. I'm single and only have one vehicle. Living in an area without many alternate transportation options it is large concern to me. But they have opened a SC only 40 minutes away from where i live and the manager has assured me they have loaners available if/when the Tesla needs to go in for service which reassures me some. Plus the mobile rangers are suppose to be good about fixing a lot of issues and very convenient.

One option I'm considering is keeping my Acura RDX and getting a M3 since the MY and RDX are close to the same class vehicle. I made the mistake of taking a M3P for test drive and now absolutely can not un-remember what a blast it was to drive.