Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If so opened what’s to stop a vehicle with CCS charger on right rear quarter potentially blocking two bays, if they use the Supercharger on their right rather than on the left as they should?

Quite possible to do accidentally or deliberately is it not?

Currently driving a loan Jaguar iPace for a couple of weeks has opened my eyes to just how inefficient and slow to charge other EVs can be.

The Jags' 90kWh battery takes an age to reach 100% from even 70%, far slower than the 3LR on the same 7kW charger When driving it consumes energy at an alarming rate (averaging +460kWh even with a/c off in the current warm weather, Eco mode and driving very gently). With continuous excess solar for the past week & in spite of a couple of days where the car is driven a total of 6 miles to the shops, it is still hasn't reached 100% charge. As soon as A/C is used, even gently, available range is displayed as dropping by more than 10% & at higher fan settings as much as 20%.

This sort of thing would have a knock-on against supercharger stall availability if other marques sit there for hours slowly adding charge until the threat of an eventual idle fee encourages them to unplug.

Last edited:
Reactions: LEE3
Has Tesla been putting up supercharger prices?
Pretty sure they were all a standard 24p/kWh when I last used one before covid and used one last weekend which was 32p/kWh so quite a big increase!
Previously it was quite cheap to top up but now I'll think twice as it's the same price as a few other options on the go

I'm not panicking just yet.
Firstly its a tweet from Elon so......
Secondly it says later this year so that means we have at least another 2 years :)
Also. open up could mean anything? 1 other low volume manufacturer, Overnight/off peak access, He may just be referring to the specific locations we already know about like the ones in Germany and Norway that have had public funding.
If the general SuC network is open to all comers on 31st of December this year I will eat my Tesla short shorts.
He's been saying similar things for a while already, hinting at some automaker in talks with Tesla about this. Most likely this will be the first non-Tesla automaker that officially uses Tesla's network (not the publicly funded ones). Nothing in the statement implies all EVs (or even just the CCS ones) will get access, although the media interpreted as such.

Has Tesla been putting up supercharger prices?
Pretty sure they were all a standard 24p/kWh when I last used one before covid and used one last weekend which was 32p/kWh so quite a big increase!
Previously it was quite cheap to top up but now I'll think twice as it's the same price as a few other options on the go
If you follow wholesale electricity prices you will see why this is - I expect all of us will be in for a shock when existing home tariffs end & after the regulator allows a further price adjustment in October. Energy price cap expected to soar by more than £100 later this year

The Jags' 90kWh battery takes an age to reach 100% from even 70%, far slower than the 3LR on the same 7kW charger

Yes, people forget the impact of inefficiency. You can compensate with super fast rapid charging in some instances but most charging is done at home with about 7kW ... so the most efficient cars will add range at double the rate of the least efficient models (despite adding the same kWh). It would become a struggle to stick within a short cheap rate period (such as Octopus Go or Go Faster).

I dont see Tesla opening up the existing SUCs, as some have mentioned regards Cable lengths, no means of paying unless an app is developed etc.

Fastned allow you to set up quite a few CCS vehicles for automated charging so that they operate like SuC - turn up and plug in - the only restriction is that you have to manually start the first charge through the app (presumably there's something in the data exchanged by the vehicle that they need to link to your account). After that your registered payment method is debited when you complete the charge.

I'm not sure you'd need anything more than a web page to do that and then SuC could work the same way.

Update:
I should have read the whole help page, it says a unique vehicle identifier is exchanged so that will be what they need linked to your account - Tesla will know it for their own cars already.

Reactions: davidmc
Yes, 90% have CCS ... and a few even capable of higher charging speeds than Teslas (but they need to be fast because they tend to be models which use more kWh per mile and have large capacity batteries to make up for their relative inefficiency).
I read elsewhere that the other cars that charge faster use a higher voltage than Tesla/Supercharger (800v vs 400v), which means that they will charge much slower than a Tesla on a supercharger - someone suggested the Porsche Taycan would only do 50kw - not sure if that is accurate or not?

I am just coming up to 2 years with the Model 3 and we recently sat down to decide whether to replace the Model 3 with another one, keep the one we have until Model Y comes along, just keep the one we have or buy something else. We decided that the supercharger network is still a major factor of our enjoyment of a Tesla. As others have mentioned, the reliability, cost, availability and speed of charging simply bat the competition out of the park. Although Instavolts seem to be springing up overnight and Gridserve getting to grips with motorway services I'm still to be convinced they offer a good alternative yet. We decided to just keep the one we have for another year at least and delay any decision on the Model Y until then too. I have to say that the other brands we looked at were damn good cars: cheaper than Tesla, better built than Tesla and had lane keeping functions that seemed to work faultlessly. How boring! If we could buy one of those and have the use of the Tesla supercharging network it would be farewell Model 3!

The newly published CMA Electric Vehicle Charging market study Final Report is recommending that all charge points are open to all EVs so pressure on Tesla will inevitably increase... 'not limited to a single brand of car' & 'chargepoints interoperable with all EVs and open networks available to all brands of EV'

https://assets.publishing.service.g..._data/file/1005292/EVC_MS_final_report_TS.pdf

Screenshot 2021-07-23 at 10.32.47.png

Screenshot 2021-07-23 at 10.33.18.png

Attachments

• 1627032874845.png
    1627032874845.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 57
Also, Goldman Sachs have suggested that opening up the SuC network could generate $25+bn a year for Tesla:

• Funny
Reactions: m3p_uk
The newly published CMA Electric Vehicle Charging market study Final Report is recommending that all charge points are open to all EVs so pressure on Tesla will inevitably increase... 'not limited to a single brand of car' & 'chargepoints interoperable with all EVs and open networks available to all brands of EV'

https://assets.publishing.service.g..._data/file/1005292/EVC_MS_final_report_TS.pdf

View attachment 687178

View attachment 687179
well of course it does. The supercharger network benefits only Tesla and Tesla Customers.
In 2014 it was essential. In the long terms it makes as much sense as a one make petrol station.
So the opening up / sale of the network is inevitable. The question is when not if.
We have reached a point now where it still makes sense for Tesla since it is driving their sales but is also now starting to be looked on as a bad thing by everyone else. Interesting times.
I suspect if Tesla thought opening it up would make them more money than the sales they would lose they would have done it already. They are a business at the end of the day.
i am not sure we are at the point yet where they will be regulated into opening up but I am also surprised they get so many planning applications approved even today. i suspect that is why there are so many joint Tesla a n other installations happening now.

Reactions: browellm

View attachment 687178

View attachment 687179
I don't see how this effects Tesla, it's just a report of observations that have been said many time in many other reports. The government Rapid Charging Fund may not fund SuperChargers, but has any government funding been used by Tesla before? Other networks might need handouts.
The competition investigation is into Electric Highway having exclusive contracts, nothing to do with Tesla, something I think has been patently obviously an issue for a long time. While it's great that Gridserve have taken over and are getting the act together, competition will help drive growth. It would be nice to think that competition would create more reasonable pricing, but as we know BP and Shell are very happy to keep the price high, and the others seem happy to go along with this. Gridserve seem to be an outlier on price already.