Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this is all slightly irrelevant. Tesla superchargers are the envy of the EV world today, but that won’t last too much longer. It can’t last unless the whole of the UK is driving Teslas. The wider infrastructure will have to catch up with, and overtake, the supercharger network over the next few years. That’ll be good for us too as we’ll have way more options than we have now.
Bingo. Elon must be smart enough that his brain can predict the future. They might as well start talking about heading in this direction. As the article mention, things are unclear. I think they are going to be unclear for years.

Also, Goldman Sachs have suggested that opening up the SuC network could generate $25+bn a year for Tesla:

Earnings are just one part of the equation as you need to look at net income, that is after expenses and tax. There’s also the loss of profit on car sales that ends up going to other manufacturers to factor in. If that was $26+bn, it wouldn’t be that smart an idea from Tesla’s point of view. Regardless of the profit for Tesla, I can’t really see that it is in interest of Tesla owners, unless they end build a load more Superchargers.

Just consider a scenario where EM has a plan B - give all the services buildings total roof cover with solar panels. He could even roof over the car parks and fit some of his huge storage batteries and triple or quadruple or more the number of superchargers at each site and undercut the opposition....
He's got enough money to gamble. He could split off the superchargers into a separate business, and I'd bet the share price would spike fast...
South facing motorway embankments?

I don't think the price to charge has been mentioned by Elon. When they see it's ~£1/kw for a Ford mach-e, I don't think many Ford EV drivers will be using them unless its a dire emergency... But at least he can say they opened up the super-charger network...

I doubt it would go quite that far, but this is exactly what I've been thinking would happen if they open up; there's enough charging networks who already charge lower prices (or nothing) for owners of certain vehicles that preventing tailored charge scales would be pretty much impossible to legislate and difficult to argue against.

So I expect we might see prices twenty or thirty pence per kWh higher for third party vehicles; that will effectively allow the network to be opened but also keep third party usage to a minimum and still tip the scales in Tesla's favour when people are considering new vehicles.

He could even roof over the car parks and fit some of his huge storage batteries and triple or quadruple or more the number of superchargers at each site and undercut the opposition....

Well, that would be good for about 10 minutes out of the 24hrs of Supercharging! Even though Gridserve Braintree has got every surface covered in panels they don't claim that it supplies very much of their charging needs ... (they have a huge solar farm in another location).

Well, that would be good for about 10 minutes out of the 24hrs of Supercharging! Even though Gridserve Braintree has got every surface covered in panels they don't claim that it supplies very much of their charging needs ... (they have a huge solar farm in another location).
I did suggest covering the roofs of the buildings and the whole car park - not just the charger bays.. anything to take load off the incoming power supplies. It isn't likely that land nearby would be available for a solar farm at established locations, And with their battery systems they can charge those up when load on the supercharger banks is low such as night-time from the grid. Every little helps.

I did suggest covering the roofs of the buildings and the whole car park - not just the charger bays.. anything to take load off the incoming power supplies. It isn't likely that land nearby would be available for a solar farm at established locations, And with their battery systems they can charge those up when load on the supercharger banks is low such as night-time from the grid. Every little helps.
Indeed every little helps.

Odd that the only "pumps" not covered at Braintree are the Tesla ones.
We Teslas have to get wet when its raining.
Actually are any UK Tesla chargers under cover? (apart from the ones within multistory car parks of course)
Elon likes to save money on non-essentials: cover for superchargers, gear stick, weather seals, radar, half a steering wheel....

Looks like the Musk has pretty much confirmed that the SuC network will be opened up to non Teslas:

We are thinking about a real simple thing where you just download the Tesla app, you go to the Supercharger, you just indicate which stall you are in, you plug in your car, even if it’s not a Tesla, and you just access the app to tell “turn on the stall that I’m in for how much electricity,” and this should work for almost any manufacturer’s electric car.

The CEO confirmed that this would be available to anyone in markets where Tesla uses the CCS standard.

There was a mention of dynamic pricing based on demand and charging speed, but no hint that non Teslas would be charged more.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger and Tonyf
If I had access to superchargers in any non-Tesla I wanted, then for my next car it is 100% bye bye Tesla. No doubt about it.

I‘d then have to use an awful lot of Tesla supplied electricity before Elon recouped that loss, not that it seems he’s very fussed about it.

No way they do that given they are losing money even with the current rates
Probably because so many cars still have free Supercharging. My last charge was 56kWh = £17.36 and took about 40 mins. There’s not many businesses that can charge you £30 per hour for waiting.

Appreciate SuCs arn’t 100% productive but it’s not often you see an empty site anymore in daytime. At those rates a site could be pulling in £300k per year if everyone was actually paying.

Without doing the maths in detail, an SuC site probably has a 15 year payback with lots of assumptions - profit was always going to be a long way in the future - once demand incresed and capital costs recovered.

If I had access to superchargers in any non-Tesla I wanted, then for my next car it is 100% bye bye Tesla. No doubt about it.
I felt similarly until I had the chance to drive an alternative to Tesla for the past two weeks. Charging speed was slower, energy losses greater during AC to DC conversion, overnight drain greater and energy consumption higher.

I'm not so sure now.

Reactions: marcopolomt
Looks like the Musk has pretty much confirmed that the SuC network will be opened up to non Teslas:

There was a mention of dynamic pricing based on demand and charging speed, but no hint that non Teslas would be charged more.
I saw that. Couple of things spring to mind,firstly the cabinets and cables are designed for teslas where the charge port is always in the same place. Which means there are going to be some parking jenga needed for some makes of car, and I can see people taking up 2 stalls just to get the cable to reach. Also, I believe there is a legal requirement for contactless payment in all new chargers, so the app method won’t work. Apps are fine n all, but as experience shows they also seem to cause the most hassle. Not to mention, they are also going o have to increase the number of support staff and engineers to deal with the all the “I’m using the app and it’s not working” calls

I saw that. Couple of things spring to mind,firstly the cabinets and cables are designed for teslas where the charge port is always in the same place. Which means there are going to be some parking jenga needed for some makes of car, and I can see people taking up 2 stalls just to get the cable to reach. Also, I believe there is a legal requirement for contactless payment in all new chargers, so the app method won’t work. Apps are fine n all, but as experience shows they also seem to cause the most hassle. Not to mention, they are also going o have to increase the number of support staff and engineers to deal with the all the “I’m using the app and it’s not working” calls

symonds youtube channel should do a quick video taking a few non-tesla cars to a supercharger to see if they’d even be able to reach the cable.

Reactions: SFBanks
I don't think cable will be an issue. They retro fitted the additional CCS cables quick enough (felt like a couple of weeks for the whole network) when Model 3's came along so, ergonomics aside, it will be pretty trivial to retrofit a longer cable if needs arise.