Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe. But then I still have the issue that it in effect reduces charger capacity and therefore hinders the adoption of EV's unless all cars have the charge point in an accessible to all chargers location.

To me it just feels like a minimum viable product rush job

Well, it's a pilot for starters so Tesla will learn lots from it. Opening up the supercharger network can only increase capacity unless the superchargers are already 100% occupied 24/7. I don't care whether I use a supercharger or another rapid as long as they are available and where I need them.

Look at this differently .. Tesla are already in the leccy provision game via octopus. It's hardly a stretch to see them using mega-batteries to store and retail directly. They have already demonstrated capability to swap chargers to dual function so swapping them out to chargers with longer cables wouldn't be a big deal - just loop it around the inner circumference. Nor is it an impossible stretch to see Tesla buying up independent service stations at cheapo cost as demand drops and slapping in a few chargers backed up by their own battery storage - kill off the opposition for total dominance?

Left hand drive. in Right hand drive the CCS port is on the other side..
Most UK locations don't look like that though they have the. tombstone in front not at the side. Not saying it would not reach. I recon they would just about manage it on those but I think they would have to drive over the wheel stop and get really really close..

images

I can see some damaged signs and tombstones in Tesla's future

The problem is the current (short) cables fit neatly in the U opening (see below). Longer cables would hang outside the frame and would be more likely to be left on the ground. The best solution IMHO would be to retro-fit CCS sockets then non-Teslas could charge using their own cable.

View attachment 728132
its a 400v water cooled cable that is no doubt rated to at least 750amps.
There is a reason they come with cable attached

I just can’t see how this won’t wind up Tesla drivers. Anecdotally, Gretna is always rammed, Woodall had a queue when I was there last Monday and Leicester had 2 cars waiting on Saturday. I seriously will reconsider my Y order if this looks likely to happen.

I just can’t see how this won’t wind up Tesla drivers. Anecdotally, Gretna is always rammed, Woodall had a queue when I was there last Monday and Leicester had 2 cars waiting on Saturday. I seriously will reconsider my Y order if this looks likely to happen.
The announcement page states “Future sites will only be opened to Non-Tesla vehicles if there is available capacity.” So hopefully they’ll not pick the busiest sites.

But surely vehicle sales are higher than capacity to keep up with demand. They are all going to get busier.
well there is this...

"The facility, which is capable of producing 10,000 Supercharger V3 stalls per year, would play a key role in the company’s aggressive expansion of its rapid-charging network."

Reactions: Lord Farquad
well there is this...

"The facility, which is capable of producing 10,000 Supercharger V3 stalls per year, would play a key role in the company’s aggressive expansion of its rapid-charging network."
Making the cabinets isn't the bottleneck, the underlying power infrastructure is. Another factor is the effect of 100k+ Hertz tesla's wanting to charge.

well there is this...

10,000 extra stalls across the globe annually would be great. If they ramp up production with further factories, maybe even start to buy failing petrol stations, they could quickly corner the market in BEV charging.

Reactions: NewbieT