Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great term for non Teslas at SuCs: muggles 👍
My wife & daughter are big Potter fans and we visited the London Studio tour last week.

The podpoint chargers worked great, although they weren’t free. If you go, make sure you ask the parking staff to allow you to access them as they provide parking right at the front door. It’s VIP parking 🤣

My wife & daughter are big Potter fans and we visited the London Studio tour last week.

The podpoint chargers worked great, although they weren’t free. If you go, make sure you ask the parking staff to allow you to access them as they provide parking right at the front door. It’s VIP parking 🤣
That’s what I find about UK EV charging locations either VIP parking or back of the queue 😂😅

Reactions: Lord Farquad
Its remarkable (but no surprise) that Tesla gets called out for lack of planning in designing a supercharger nearly 10 years ago, for not anticipating a competitor would put their charge port on the wrong side 8 years later.
Half quoting is a well known rhetorical technique but it doesn't make it compelling. It's plain from the tweet that the lack of planning refers to Tesla deciding to open the network, not lack of planning in its original design.
For my part I think the Supercharger network's going to be under enough pressure with all the Teslas that are being sold and opening it really will forego a USP. I wouldn't have bought any other electric car because only Tesla had superchargers. I've tried the public charging network when I've been forced to it by superchargers being blocked and it's a world of pain.
The early adopter honeymoon is rapidly coming to an end

Half quoting is a well known rhetorical technique but it doesn't make it compelling. It's plain from the tweet that the lack of planning refers to Tesla deciding to open the network, not lack of planning in its original design.
Isn't the limited trial of 10 sites in the Netherlands part of the 'planning' process that relates to the wider opening up of the network. Presumably how Tesla respond to that experiment will determine what happens next?

For my part I think the Supercharger network's going to be under enough pressure with all the Teslas that are being sold and opening it really will forego a USP. I wouldn't have bought any other electric car because only Tesla had superchargers. I've tried the public charging network when I've been forced to it by superchargers being blocked and it's a world of pain.
The early adopter honeymoon is rapidly coming to an end
Agreed.

How are they going to get feedback? Are they just going to monitor social media or something? There's no "trial feedback" number or email as far as I'm aware, so at best it's going to be service centres that get the flak from irate customers (Tesla and non-Tesla).

Normally a trial has some kind of parameters that are measured, but it's really hard to see how this can be the case with the sites they've opened, unless Tesla are going to deploy a member of staff to sit there and watch what happens? They might get a sense of demand, but the other variables like bays being blocked, etc is going to be oblivious to them unless the feedback gets back to them somehow.

It all seems pretty shambolic.

How are they going to get feedback? Are they just going to monitor social media or something? There's no "trial feedback" number or email as far as I'm aware, so at best it's going to be service centres that get the flak from irate customers (Tesla and non-Tesla).

Normally a trial has some kind of parameters that are measured, but it's really hard to see how this can be the case with the sites they've opened, unless Tesla are going to deploy a member of staff to sit there and watch what happens? They might get a sense of demand, but the other variables like bays being blocked, etc is going to be oblivious to them unless the feedback gets back to them somehow.

Not disagreeing but they will have registration and usage data and could extrapolate blockage from knowing the car type and charge port configuration. My guess is the twittersphere will light up if there's too much blocking. YMMV

They have data on which stalls are being used, and whether Teslas or non-Teslas are charging So they could compare the patterns.
But having people at or cameras watching the locations would be useful to gauge other impacts.

Given that Tesla has a lot of spare capacity at most locations, the real problem with non-Teslas charging is that it makes it harder for EV drivers, Tesla or other, to know whether a stall is in use. So Tesla may need a redesign of the pedestals to have a clear indicator of use.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adopado
They have data on which stalls are being used, and whether Teslas or non-Teslas are charging So they could compare the patterns.
But having people at or cameras watching the locations would be useful to gauge other impacts.

Given that Tesla has a lot of spare capacity at most locations, the real problem with non-Teslas charging is that it makes it harder for EV drivers, Tesla or other, to know whether a stall is in use. So Tesla may need a redesign of the pedestals to have a clear indicator of use.

Albeit it makes the information on the Tesla display, about number of free stalls available, quite likely inaccurate does it not? As one non Tesla may be blocking two stalls in order to charge but only indicating one stall in use to the network.

They have a lot of spare capacity at most locations most of the time BUT it is the other times that I care about. Bank holidays, Weekends in August that sort of time when everyone is on the road.
Will Tesla leave capacity / money on the table 300days a year just so I don't have to queue at Whitsun? probably not but it was nice while it lasted.

Reactions: candida
its a 400v water cooled cable that is no doubt rated to at least 750amps.
There is a reason they come with cable attached
I really don't believe it's water cooled
if the cable gets hot it's much cheaper, safer and way and more efficient to increase the conductor size (and keep it short) than it is to add water pipes and everything required to make that work.

However it is a bloody heavy cable with serious safety requirements - don't think anyone should bring your own.