Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not every Tesla owner bought one because of the SuC network alone.
Opening up the SuCs to other cars will not affect the demand for Tesla products. Demand will outstrip supply for some time and even if Model 3 or Y sales were to fall, that would allow batteries to be diverted to other products waiting to be manufactured.

There have been virtually no issues in NL or other countries where the SuC network has been opened up. It seems to have been managed well and Tesla have already said they will do the same if and when the UK follows suit.

Also, one comment from a junior minister counts for very little in my book. It could still be many months before anything changes here and when it does I expect it will have very little impact on Tesla owners.
There are no problems in Netherlands or Norway because they both already have an excellent third party chharging infrastructure. Tesla owners there dont give a damn whether they charge at a SUC or a third party? They are all good , totally different to the UK motorway non existant charging system!

You are saying the same thing, it disguises the road dirt by being the colour of road dirt.
Not exactly, it doesn't have to be the same color as road dirt to disguise it. The slightly dark color of MSM (but not black, it is like a blueish gray that becomes brighter in the light), plus the sparkles of the metallic paint is what does the hiding (without the sparkles, the dirt would show up more like it does with black).

Road grime would be more like the colors named "sand" by other manufacturers. The darker dirt would be more like the brown color Tesla used to offer (Anza Brown Metallic).

Reactions: Xdama
Not exactly, it doesn't have to be the same color as road dirt to disguise it. The slightly dark color of MSM (but not black, it is like a blueish gray that becomes brighter in the light), plus the sparkles of the metallic paint is what does the hiding (without the sparkles, the dirt would show up more like it does with black).

Road grime would be more like the colors named "sand" by other manufacturers. The darker dirt would be more like the brown color Tesla used to offer (Anza Brown Metallic).
"Blueish grey that becomes brighter in the light" is a perfect description.

Doesn't everything become brighter in the light? :)
Not exactly. For example with black, the hue of the car doesn't really look like a lighter/brighter color in brighter light. It still looks black. White, red, and the discontinued silver also is similar.

But with MSM (and somewhat with the Deep Blue Metallic too), it's different. When in direct light, the color seems to shift to appear like a lighter/brighter base color. It's hard to describe and even pictures might not do it justice (pictures may not always have the right color accuracy or white balance), but I'll try below.
Here's an example in a darker location:
y5lvF5QeKNqc00uQXa_v6DxBaH84GpD6zIP4AMR-6bA.jpg

Here's an example in bright light:
63ece38d6c764384aeadb84df83480b6.jpg

It looks almost like the base color is a different brightness (and the hue even seems to shift a bit).

Reactions: Wol747
Not exactly. For example with black, the hue of the car doesn't really look like a lighter/brighter color in brighter light. It still looks black. White, red, and the discontinued silver also is similar.

But with MSM (and somewhat with the Deep Blue Metallic too), it's different. When in direct light, the color seems to shift to appear like a lighter/brighter base color. It's hard to describe and even pictures might not do it justice (pictures may not always have the right color accuracy or white balance), but I'll try below.
Here's an example in a darker location:
y5lvF5QeKNqc00uQXa_v6DxBaH84GpD6zIP4AMR-6bA.jpg

Here's an example in bright light:
63ece38d6c764384aeadb84df83480b6.jpg

It looks almost like the base color is a different brightness (and the hue even seems to shift a bit).
I find that my red car does look very different in artificial light (which I appreciate will be down to colour temperature) and also in different natural light conditions as well. Sometimes it can appear very dark.

how their T+Cs have changed over the years

There was a big hoo-hah when "Idle fees" was introduced "retrospectively". Owners of free-for-car's-lifetime Supercharging thought it an unbelievable inconvenience that they would have to, for example, get up from their 7-course meal to move their car ... there was talk of class-actions and all sorts ...

Selfish gits. Don't seem to hear about that any more ... although the question "Why did my 100% limit change to 80%" comes up now and again

But only if the non-Tesla charging process is as reliable and fuss free as it is for a Tesla

Indeed. I've just come back from S. Ireland, precious few Superchargers there (although Elon did kindly open one at Enfield the day before I was passing, which solved my "get back to ferry with some juice" planning problem)

Reading this thread there has been little mention of 3rd party charging. There was a post saying that a Supercharger site was full, and the owner went to adjacent Ionity which was available ... and faster :). My experience, since 2015, is that 3rd party charging is shiite and Ireland was a good example.

Ennis (Population 25K) had one 50kW charger - 1 stall. Galway (80K) had 4 or 5 - all of them only a single stall. We were in 2 cars ...

The hotel in Ennis had a charger (the only Hotel with one in Ennis, although not the reason we choose it). A whopping 3kW ... got one car charged overnight and the other one ... not at all. It was so well hidden I only found it by accident after lowering the kW limit on Plugshare to "anything" and probably alerting Security on CCTV the way I was scrutinising the car park as I searched for it on foot!

Phoned hotel in Galway to ask if they had a charger. "No, but there's one just down the road". I checked that on PlugShare; not the ESB I had prepped for in Ireland and obtained an RFID card for, so I downloaded the EasyGO APP as PlugShare feedback said "Contactless not working" (Why? [rhetorical ...]). Rocked up, sure enough Contactless not working (neither on M3 nor MS, which I also tried the alternative cable for CHAdeMO with adapter). The instructions were a joke too ("Press XXX" where there was no button marked XXX). Launched the APP ... only to find that that station was not listed on their Map! and no QR code / similar that I could find to initiate the charge. And, although their website said "Just use a Credit Card via the APP", it was insisting on email registration, and I had no access to my email on my phone so couldn't receive any authorisation. You must think I'm making this up ... anyway, it was clear that EasyGo didn't want any money from whatever their equivalent is of Johnny Foreigner. I wonder why these companies were formed and why they continue to exist,

We charged in Galway. The single stall was occupied but I asked and driver said "Another 5 minutes" which was fine. Sat in the car for an hour whilst the poxy 50kW filled me up. A Leaf pulled up and parked next to us ... and then drove off. Then a taxi did the same. Didn't roll their window down and ask "How long will you be". No idea why that was.

I had a look at the feedback on Plugshare for both the Birdhill supercharger we used (since 2017 there are only 2 x failed-to-charge reports, one an Outlander!! the other reported broken hardware but that user returned the following day and reported that it was working again). And the 50kW charger I used in Galway? Since May 2021 30% of the check-ins reported an error which prevented charging (and also that if the A/C was in use the charge from the DC was significantly reduced ...)

Pre-2015 when I last drove ICE, and was doing around 30K miles p.a., I mostly saw Shell, BP and Esso filling stations. I very rarely had to queue. The brands were familiar. I didn't fill at Supermarket because their fuel wrecked lots of car engines with wax or something, and mostly when I went to the Supermarket there was a queue ... and only a few pence cheaper.

So if Tesla opening up enables them to expand, and is the only name I see in 10 years time, when I am out on a long trip, and they keep up their record of good maintenance and effortless plug-in-walk-away usage, I'll be happy. If the rest of poxy 1-stall-is-fine (or even 4-stalls-is-fine) and maintenance-when-I-can-be-bothered disappear without trace .... that's fine too.

So all it needs is Tesla to decide that opening up to other brands is a land grab for most-common-charger-brand and then to strive for voted-public-#1

It’ll certainly be interesting to see what’s available in 3yrs when my lease is finished. I’ve grown to like most of the Tesla (still not all though)

One factor, at that time, will be all the OTA updates you received over that period. I wonder if, by then, the other brands will have figured out how to be proactive with OTA, given the amount of nightmare 3rd party integration they currently have to do. And if their cars have physical-knobs the restriction on adding new features that will be causing.

One factor, at that time, will be all the OTA updates you received over that period. I wonder if, by then, the other brands will have figured out how to be proactive with OTA, given the amount of nightmare 3rd party integration they currently have to do. And if their cars have physical-knobs the restriction on adding new features that will be causing.
OTA aren’t something that would make me buy a car personally but I can see why some would find that important. To me a car is a tool that’s all, much like a drill so as long as my drill does drilling and my car gets me from A to B, I’m a happy 🐰.

Reactions: pgkevet and Pants
I agree that OTA is overhyped.
Since the massive and apparently undercooked change in UI I haven’t updated my software once.
Car does what it needs to do and does it well enough. I don’t want or need to learn the bloody thing all over again because someone thinks it’s cool to change everything.
Might be persuaded to update if some serious safety-of-life issue comes to light that needs fixing (which seems unlikely).

Reactions: Pants and Xdama
@ACarneiro - actually I would keep updating - history suggests Tesla make periodic major changes v9-v10-v11 and these are a bit of a mess intially but then subsequent iterations dial out most of the wrinkles. Better actually to anticipate the major changes and hold off on those for a few months until issues have be worked through.

I do really disapprove though of Tesla foisting major changes to the UI on their owners these days that are frankly half-baked ; a few years ago as a "new"ish company fair enough but they are (or at should be) properly grown up now as not to release poorly developed software.

When plod can fine you for even touching a mobile phone in the car, I find it somewhat bizarre that i have HVAC controls with 4pt text to decipher next to my knee (ModelS). Goes into the simply not good enough category. Then you have the rest of the UI issues but that has been well covered elsewhere.

anyhows back to the thread topic

having just driven from Cambridge area to the north Lake District without needing to charge once and miles to spare, not sure I am that bothered about the SuC network being opened up (very close to rated wh/mi and suitably impressed at that)

That will change in an instant though when I do happen to need an occasional SuC and find it stuffed with non-Tesla's, all the more so when my car has carefully pre-conditioned to maximise the charge speed/minimise the time at the SuC. I think it is the smaller SuCs like maybe Scotch Corner where this could be a critical issue.
Maybe Tesla could roll this out in a staged manner in the UK so as to respect their owners.

I agree that OTA is overhyped.
Since the massive and apparently undercooked change in UI I haven’t updated my software once.
Car does what it needs to do and does it well enough. I don’t want or need to learn the bloody thing all over again because someone thinks it’s cool to change everything.
Might be persuaded to update if some serious safety-of-life issue comes to light that needs fixing (which seems unlikely).
I can see where you are coming from, but having seen how the UI has improved over the 4 years I've been driving a Tesla I would definitely not want a software freeze. OTA is definitely a positive thing in my book even if it is sometimes frustrating in the short term.

... all the more so when my car has carefully pre-conditioned to maximise the charge speed/minimise the time at the SuC. I think it is the smaller SuCs like maybe Scotch Corner where this could be a critical issue.
The Scotch Corner issue will be hugely improved by upgrading from v2 to v3. That could double the throughput at busy times. The tombstones for this upgrade have been sitting there for over a year, so somebody may get round to it at some point.

The current pressure should be assisted by the opening of Ferrybridge.

Just come back from a trip to Cornwall and had to top up at Exeter. This was the first time that I have ever had to queue even though there were 8 V2 and 4 V3 SuC. 4th in the queue and a 30 min wait. I dread to think what it would be like if all the SuC were open to all as the car park was stuffed with other makes of EV.