Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just come back from a trip to Cornwall and had to top up at Exeter. This was the first time that I have ever had to queue even though there were 8 V2 and 4 V3 SuC. 4th in the queue and a 30 min wait. I dread to think what it would be like if all the SuC were open to all as the car park was stuffed with other makes of EV.

Maybe, but there is the exeter gridserve opening which will help, plus for Tesla you have exeter, lifton and cambourne so quite a few options to help both Tesla owners but also spread the load generally

There are no problems in Netherlands or Norway because they both already have an excellent third party chharging infrastructure. Tesla owners there dont give a damn whether they charge at a SUC or a third party? They are all good , totally different to the UK motorway non existant charging system!
Have to agree with you. Was at Supercharger a few weeks ago and a nice couple had their brand new BMW EV, and they were complaining that there are not enough charging options for non Tesla EV and all they wanted was access to the supercharger network. Until the UK Govt approve more charger networks, opening the Supercharger network would just create a bottleneck for Tesla owners. Sounds cruel but you pays your money & you takes your choice.

Have to agree with you. Was at Supercharger a few weeks ago and a nice couple had their brand new BMW EV, and they were complaining that there are not enough charging options for non Tesla EV and all they wanted was access to the supercharger network. Until the UK Govt approve more charger networks, opening the Supercharger network would just create a bottleneck for Tesla owners. Sounds cruel but you pays your money & you takes your choice.
Like with other countries where the network was opened up, they only opened up part of it. Most of it is still Tesla only.

We've just come back from Scarborough where there is One 50kw rapid for the whole town. There are no other decent options as the 2 7kw at the shopping centre are always taken.
Is France still in the pilot phase? I’m not aware of all of theirs being open to everyone. Is it just the Dutch ones?

What is the price for non-Tesla vs Tesla charging rates? I expect it is higher.
They pay the same prices but do have to pay a monthly subscription to get that

Reactions: FlatSix911
When you read the article this site links to, it says:

Transport Minister Trudy Harrison confirmed the move, stating: “Tesla recognise that they are part of the solution here” and that the move could come “within weeks and months rather than years”.

There is nothing definitive nor any announcement from Tesla or the "Transport Minister" (which actually should read "Under Secretary"....she's not the Transport Minister). The word "could" is doing quite a lot of heavy lifting here....I think various websites are getting ahead of themselves on this one and generating some nice clickbait headlines in the process.

We just need to wait and see what Tesla announce in due course.