Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious to know people's guesses as to what sites they will open up. Tesla have said only lightly used ones will be in scope so I am guessing ones like south mimms, scotch corner, Darts Farm and Gretna wont be on the list whereas ones with 10 stalls and over will be.

When did Tesla say that?
From here
"
Will more sites open to Non-Tesla vehicles?
We’re starting with a select number of sites so that we can review the experience, monitor congestion and assess feedback before expanding. Future sites will only be opened to Non-Tesla vehicles if there is available capacity."

They've also said it a few times in interviews. e.g UK Tesla Supercharger Team Q&A Responses

Last edited:
Reactions: HenryT
I hope so as well. NL has a very well-established fast charging network from other brands such as Fastned. So having the Superchargers open to all wouldn't have been felt by Tesla owners in the same way it would here.
Agreed. They have a good network. I was in the Netherlands in April and visited 7 supercharger sites. The only vehicles there were Teslas. I’m guessing the majority of non-Tesla EVs use the good existing infrastructure such as Fastned and Allego.

Curious to know people's guesses as to what sites they will open up. Tesla have said only lightly used ones will be in scope so I am guessing ones like south mimms, scotch corner, Darts Farm and Gretna wont be on the list whereas ones with 10 stalls and over will be.

My guesses

London Westfield
Canary Wharf
Uxbridge
Grays
Flimwell
Wokingham
Amesbury
Cribbs
Cambourne
Cardiff
Banbury
Wyboston
Thetford
Kingslynn
Derby
Nottingham
Mansfield
Trentham
Flint
Trafford
Ferrybridge
Harrogate
Adderstone
Eurocentral
Perth
Dundee
Aberdeen
Inverness
Fortwilliam

I'm sure these sites all have their moments, but they have significant capacity.

My guesses

London Westfield
Canary Wharf
Uxbridge
Grays
Flimwell
Wokingham
Amesbury
Cribbs
Cambourne
Cardiff
Banbury
Wyboston
Thetford
Kingslynn
Derby
Nottingham
Mansfield
Trentham
Flint
Trafford
Ferrybridge
Harrogate
Adderstone
Eurocentral
Perth
Dundee
Aberdeen
Inverness
Fortwilliam

I'm sure these sites all have their moments, but they have significant capacity.
Sounds about right. I order if availability of other chargers will play a part also. E.g Rugby might be excluded as there are load of other options so no need to open them up?

Aviemore, Dundee, Adderstone, Manchester Trafford Centre, Flint, Aberystwyth, Banbury, Wyboston, Trumpington, Thetford, Wokingham, Uxbridge, Grays & Folkestone Eurotunnel

OK, not terrible.

My concern with partial opening is that once it gets a significant amount of press (and it will) is that there will be EVs plugging in to non-enabled sites all over the place and people just wandering off while they get zero charging. Going to be mayhem :D

We will be closely monitoring each site for congestion and ...

I wonder how they will be doing that?

Easy enough for them to see how many Teslas rock up, all stalls full, Tesla parks up at that location for a bit and then charges.

Going to be mayhem

hasn't been in other countries ... but ...

I think that wrong-side charge-port and park in adjacent bay is the most likely problem. Dunno if Tesla will be able to tell that, and that will cause them to wrongly conclude that Stall-X is available but not in use ...

50kW is not far off the speeds achieved by people charging over 80% in a Tesla.

I do have my reservations about this, namely, the UK has no where near enough capacity for the growth in just Tesla ownership (at certain sites).

The blocking of 2 bays by incorrect port usage is a big issue

Even though a small number of sites are part of the trial, it will confuse people into trying bays elsewhere creating issues for owners

It does not promote quality improvements in other networks. The UK is far behind when it comes to rollouts and other EV owners we will want to use Tesla stalls for their speed and reliability. (Other networks have awful amounts of downtime).

On the positive, 15 sites its an acknowledgement of an over utilised network in dire need of more capacity. The sites on that list are largely quiet sites, some have pockets of high utilisation.

I personally cannot see how revenue generated from charging after supply costs with create anywhere near enough investment to accelerate rollout. I still think it is more a morally weighted decision to accelerate EV uptake.

On the point of how they will monitor sites. They have expressed an interest in installing cameras to see how the sites in the trial are being utilised in practice. I dont doubt they will get this roughly correct, starting with just 15 is a positive first step, its a small trial on relatively low utilisation sites.

The only final point of concern is the excessively long process to sign off new sites or sites needing capacity upgrades (electrical mainly) in this country. It is a real barrier to growth if Tesla wish to double stalls in certain sites or create new sites. For example, Exeter can't come quickly enough yet it has suffered at least 6 months of delays due to power and planning. Trafford was built it about November I think, yet it took 4-5 months for sign off by the boffins. Far too slow.

It does not promote quality improvements in other networks

If Tesla Superchargers become the only player in the UK, and assuming they maintain quality-of-service up-time, I'm happy with that. Delete all the APPs I have for all the others, and get my £ten-quid current balance back again ... if I can. AND, best of all, never have to use their lousy, slow, unreliable service again.

I do need them to come good on there stated aim of "Tesla has reassured us that the expansion of the supercharger network is continuing to accelerate in line with the promise of the tripling of the supercharger network within the next ~1.5 years as referenced earlier this year" ... given they have fallen short of all such previous proclamations in UK.