Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you mean pictures of ioniqs plugged in the only way they can, which Tesla is aware of and allowing by opening up to other makes? Not many cars have teh port in the same location as the Tesla, and even if on the same side it might not reach as the cable is ‘just’ long enough if you park right the way back.

Tesla opening up says you’re allowed to use it. That isn’t the Ioniq’s fault. Tesla will monitor and eventually update sites with longer cables or other rearranging to reduce this issue.
So you're okay with them taking up two chargers then? You'd be quite happy to wait whilst there is a perfectly serviceable supercharger that you can't access because a car is in its designated parking space.
If they other cars fit, fair enough. If they don't fit, tough.

Reactions: Neilio
I noticed a thread on Twitter claiming the Tesla Chargers are now breaching the UK Public Charger rules by requiring both an App to control things and a pre-registered account & payment mechanism. Allegedly since they've opened some of them to the public they now have 12 months to comply with the no App required rule and to install a local card payment facility.

Since no Tesla charger has a screen or payment facility they'll need complete replacement to provide that.

Might be simpler for Tesla to terminate the trial within the next 11 months and revert to "owners/members only" unless they can wriggle out ot it.

So you're okay with them taking up two chargers then? You'd be quite happy to wait whilst there is a perfectly serviceable supercharger that you can't access because a car is in its designated parking space.

Not ideal because selfishly I’d like them all for myself, but assuming this helps Tesla get more sites with government funded power hookups, then the trade off is worth it. If big hubs like Gridserve or MSAs get banks of tesla and banks of other chargers, I don’t think this will be a problem. Its a net benefit I believe

I noticed a thread on Twitter claiming the Tesla Chargers are now breaching the UK Public Charger rules by requiring both an App to control things and a pre-registered account & payment mechanism. Allegedly since they've opened some of them to the public they now have 12 months to comply with the no App required rule and to install a local card payment facility.

Since no Tesla charger has a screen or payment facility they'll need complete replacement to provide that.

Might be simpler for Tesla to terminate the trial within the next 11 months and revert to "owners/members only" unless they can wriggle out ot it.

Aren’t those rules for new installations? These are existing sites. How do podpoint get around this? Is it because you can use the web and not need an app?

Reactions: Rooster6655

They were already open to the public, just it was the public that were driving a Tesla!

Reactions: roadcred
This is a Tesla decision on how/who uses which charger at which location. They can know when someone registers the app for a car type A or car type B where the charger socket is located.

They can decide which stalls are made available to that car, whether all of them or just a few eg 1A/1B and 2A/2B only by only showing those available for charging in the app for that customer.

We shall have to wait and see

The opening up to all is a benefit for the renewables fight but potentially a disbenefit for Tesla owners: I think most could agree with that.
I think the answer is to allow all - without having to pay a subscription, which obviously makes them want to use Tesla chargers - but at a huge per Kwh premium over non-Tesla charger rates.
If they paid say a pound per Kwh and five pounds per minute after grace period it would still make the system available for emergencies, which helps the push for sustainables, yet would deter use for convenience which, given the unserviceable rates Tesla v the rest, would otherwise be the case.

Reactions: WllXM
If there is a very significant increase in number of chargers over a short period as a result then I’m up for this. They just need to make the chargers and spaces more able to accommodate other vehicles so that they are not parking at weird angles/across spaces/in the wrong space.

This is a Tesla decision on how/who uses which charger at which location. They can know when someone registers the app for a car type A or car type B where the charger socket is located.

They can decide which stalls are made available to that car, whether all of them or just a few eg 1A/1B and 2A/2B only by only showing those available for charging in the app for that customer.

We shall have to wait and see
ATM they don't ask what car you are driving, you just enter your payment info and select your desired stall.
And even if they did ask, as they cannot communicate with another car via the charging port, they cannot enforce/check this, so you could select anything you want. Not feasible in my opinion. Only option would be CCTV everywhere and PCN enforcement, but that looks very un-Tesla mindset to me.

Reactions: Overworked
If there is a very significant increase in number of chargers over a short period as a result then I’m up for this. They just need to make the chargers and spaces more able to accommodate other vehicles so that they are not parking at weird angles/across spaces/in the wrong space.
Perhaps the forthcoming V4 chargers will have a different cable design to help overcome this?

Tesla will monitor and eventually update sites with longer cables or other rearranging to reduce this issue.

If theres an extra parking spot those cars with the charge port on the wrong side can use a stall at one end without blocking anyone.

Possibly Tesla needs to mark these stalls with a different colour or sign (like at sites in the US with both V2 and V3 stalls), or have a selection of stalls that have longer cables.

In any event it's only 15 sites in the UK at the moment, and none of the seemingly more busy inner city/ suburban sites.

Screenshot 2022-05-18 14.48.16.png

Do you have a pic to give an example?

Tesla probably get out of this rule as their charging stations are for Tesla members only and thus not a public charger. Given its a pilot essentially its still private and rules dont apply?
The rules are they can't require membership, which they aren't. Plenty of chargers out there require apps.
Same as above

The contactless payment discussion is, I presume, based on this (although whether it became law I don’t know, I’ll have to do some more digging)

As I recall, Teslas were a closed system and effectively a club (you owned the car as membership) and so thought to be exempt when it was discussed at the time. It wasn’t open to any member of the public.

The law kinda makes sense to me in a similar manner to the block exemption rules regarding servicing, but the merits of the law are one thing, it’s whether it is now the law that matters I guess.

The contactless payment discussion is, I presume, based on this (although whether it became law I don’t know, I’ll have to do some more digging)

As I recall, Teslas were a closed system and effectively a club (you owned the car as membership) and so thought to be exempt when it was discussed at the time. It wasn’t open to any member of the public.

The law kinda makes sense to me in a similar manner to the block exemption rules regarding servicing, but the merits of the law are one thing, it’s whether it is now the law that matters I guess.
The actual law is very loose, it gives the government a lot of leeway to set the rules (does not say specifically you have to put a card reader at the station itself):
Automated and Electric Vehicles Act 2018

It's possible they satisfy the rules already by having an app that you can do "pay as you go". The problem with a lot of charge networks (was this way in US too initially) was they required a special access card and/or a membership fee with no "pay as you go" option. It's possible Tesla can work out a deal with the government for the app to satisfy the requirement (or even if it means Tesla creates a webpage to pay for a certain stall, so even an app doesn't need to be installed).

The word ‘deployed’ after Nov 17 doesn’t seem defined. At the point the network gets made available to the public it probably does becomes caught by the regs.

Guidance to the regs on ad-hoc use: https://assets.publishing.service.g...ive-fuels-infrastructure-regulations-2017.pdf Page 12

Funny how setting consumer focused standards the regs might be counter productive to Tesla wanting to open up.

Just needs a QR code and a web page. Or a phone number sticker on a stall for card payments (and they’ll probably add a call handling fee).

Tesla won’t be able to tell remotely if multiple stalls are being blocked by non Tesla’s trying to connect with the short cable. In fact, the stalls blocked will just show as not in use. So Tesla will think the site is under utilised. If this will be a problem at all. I suspect it will be given the very limited position of the unit and cable.

As this is app controlled, it would of made far more sense for Tesla to require users to say which car they are using and the app would advise if the car was compatible with the very specific Tesla arrangement.

Tesla won’t be able to tell remotely if multiple stalls are being blocked by non Tesla’s trying to connect with the short cable. In fact, the stalls blocked will just show as not in use. So Tesla will think the site is under utilised. If this will be a problem at all. I suspect it will be given the very limited position of the unit and cable.
Yes and the in car nav will also tell us there are available spaces when there aren't. 😒