Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed for the stalls redesign. But for a company that wants you to trust them with your life (literally) at 70mph using their cameras ability to recognise traffic, I believe they could easily develop a camera system built in the stall that would prevent you from charging if you are parked like a prick blocking 2 or 3 bays.

Their charger design means many non-tesla owners have no choice but to block two bays. And Tesla are inviting those exact users to charge. I'd politely suggest that makes you not 'parking like a prick' but perhaps 'charging to the best of your ability within the limitations of chargers not designed for non-Teslas'

Reactions: Bernard_S
They just need to fix their ludicrous stall design that they insist on still using that only works for their car despite wanting to deliver a charge network for all cars.
I would rather other manufacturers installed charging ports in the same place as tesla!!

The integration between supercharger and Tesla is simple and easy. It was well thought through from the launch of the Model S and is far from ludicrous.

Other fast chargers have to have long leads and awkward designs to cater for this lack of design compatibility and are often cumbersome - a victim of a lack of design, customer awareness and vertical integration from other manufacturers. A throw back to ICE cars which have the same problem with no standardised side from which to put petrol in your car, requiring awkward long pipes at the petrol pumps.

Legacy auto repeated this mistake with EVs. Tesla did not and it is a shame others did not follow this simpler design philosophy, as had they done this it would now not be a point of conversation.

You can’t tell me a company like Tesla couldn’t have designed a new tombstone and stall layout in all of that time? It’s bonkers when you think about it.

When Supercharger V4 will be released, I guess that will cater for this (and I would think also allow both dual Tesla + CCS connectors in the USA).

ICE cars have the 'port' on different sides. Does that help distribute users in a petrol station or are petrol stations forced to adjust how they're designed because of car manufacturers not being able to align on the fuel flap being on the same side?

Depending on that, perhaps there is sense in cars having ports on both sides? Maybe have a more 'fuel pump' arrangement with people able to pull up both sides?

Their charger design means many non-tesla owners have no choice but to block two bays. And Tesla are inviting those exact users to charge. I'd politely suggest that makes you not 'parking like a prick' but perhaps 'charging to the best of your ability within the limitations of chargers not designed for non-Teslas’
Screenshot from the updated Tesla app when trying to attempt a 3rd party vehicle charging session. We’ll see how well this will be obeyed….
1652956383896.png

Screenshot from the updated Tesla app when trying to attempt a 3rd party vehicle charging session. We’ll see how well this will be obeyed….
View attachment 806069

right but in that case the user would park straight on in the middle bay so would be 'neat' but still block the left bay from a tesla using it. Of course other non-EVs could still use that bay so maybe it (roughly) comes out in the wash?

Remove Leaf from your list, as it's Chademo and so never going to visit a SuperCharger, and is the second most common EV in the UK at what, 40K vehicles ?
About 42k. But they are still EVs. So to say the majority of EVs are Teslas is clearly wrong. If we are looking at EVs that could use Super chargers:

Tesla : 70k
Audi: e-Tron: 12500, Q4 e-Tron, 1,500, RS e-Tron GT: 150 = 14,000
BMW: i3: 22000, ix3: 900 = 22,000
Renault: Zoe 20000 = 20,000
Skoda: Enyaq: 1700 = 1,700
VW: ID3: 13000, ID4 3000, eGolf 7500, eUp 1000 = 24,500

There may be others but the list is not searchable by EVs so I'm having to manually select manufacturer and model. What this shows is that by opening up to non-Teslas there are now over twice as many cars that could be competing for the same number of superchargers

As a side note there appear to be 27,000 Renault Twizys registered in the UK. Who'd have thought that!

Edit to add more number in case people are interested
Polestar: 2: 3200
Hyundai: Ioniq 5: 2000

Numbers are 2021 Q3 so out of date a bit but I'd expect that the overall trend is similar?

Last edited:
Charge ports need to be (front or rear) centre on all EV's.

At some point, London will need on-street charging infrastructure and there are too many one way roads to turn the car around to get the charge port nearside by the curb.

Clipped wing mirrors are bad in London... Could you imagine clipped EV chargers if been charged with the cable off-side

Do you need to be at a site to see the non-tesla charging options? On the android app 4.8.1, and although I see the membership signup, I don't see any other charging info (except site mapping under 'location')
On iOS if you go to "Charge my non-tesla" and find a location on the map you can touch the location and get the charging costs. e.g Banbury shows as £0.61/kWh without membership, £0.50 with and idle fees of up to £1.00/min

It'll be ignored by those who are predisposed to not give a toss, like everything else not enforced or penalised.
Last thing I want is to get into an argument at a SuC with an uncivilised as****e. Hence the desire to make the experience as stress free as possible and avoid any friction points. Sadly we've identified many. Hopefully Tesla will find a solution and police this sooner rather than later to avoid alienating their own customers.
Other idea : on major holidays ability to prebook your slot using the onboard navigation system planned stop with the ETA.

Here's pic I took a couple of weeks ago of the soon to open V3s at Eleveden. Given that this site was going to be on their open-to-all list, they could easily have widened the parking area in preparation so that the stall on the right can be accessed from either side. Similarly, why not tarmac the rear area giving greater versatility?

Another example of Teslas' 'throw it out there and see what happens' approach, just like permanent beta on the cars.

Elveden.jpg

Reactions: browellm and Durzel
About 42k. But they are still EVs. So to say the majority of EVs are Teslas is clearly wrong. If we are looking at EVs that could use Super chargers:

Tesla : 70k
Audi: e-Tron: 12500, Q4 e-Tron, 1,500, RS e-Tron GT: 150 = 14,000
BMW: i3: 22000, ix3: 900 = 22,000
Renault: Zoe 20000 = 20,000
Skoda: Enyaq: 1700 = 1,700
VW: ID3: 13000, ID4 3000, eGolf 7500, eUp 1000 = 24,500

There may be others but the list is not searchable by EVs so I'm having to manually select manufacturer and model. What this shows is that by opening up to non-Teslas there are now over twice as many cars that could be competing for the same number of superchargers

As a side note there appear to be 27,000 Renault Twizys registered in the UK. Who'd have thought that!

Edit to add more number in case people are interested
Polestar: 2: 3200
Hyundai: Ioniq 5: 2000

Numbers are 2021 Q3 so out of date a bit but I'd expect that the overall trend is similar?
of course Teslas are probably doing the majority of DC fast charging since people who want to do long journeys gravitate to them for all the reason we know. But whatever the current situation EV Sales are up massively year on year and Tesla now make up less than 30% of those and falling. So the proportion of EV's that are Teslas is going to fall and ultimately they will not be the majority very soon even if they were now.

BTW believe it or not a lot if not the majority of Zoe's right up until at least last year were sold without DC fast charging capability. My parents considered getting one and gave up in the end because they could not find a new one for sale anywhere with DC fast charge capability

Last edited:
BTW believe it or not a lot if not the majority of Zoe's right up until at least last year were sold without DC fast charging capability. My parents considered getting one and gave up in the end because they could not find a new one for sale anywhere with DC fast charge capability
I suppose that might actually make sense for what is primarily a little city car. I don't think there is any way to tease the number with DC fast charging out of the government data. However Porsche + Mercedes is about 15,000 cars more or less replacing the Zoes in the numbers

What I really don't understand is how Tesla are going to monitor any of this. How are they going tell if people are parking over 2 or more bays? How are they going to know people are queuing? How are they going to know if people are being inconvenienced?
Does Tesla care? This is the company that sells cars filthy and without PDIs, with unsafe tyre pressures. I don’t think Tesla give a toss how Tesla owners are impacted by opening up their chargers. It’s about £. Nothing else.

Reactions: PeteSanders
Does Tesla care? This is the company that sells cars filthy and without PDIs, with unsafe tyre pressures. I don’t think Tesla give a toss how Tesla owners are impacted by opening up their chargers. It’s about £. Nothing else.
Ultimately it's a matter of capacity for them. A user blocking 2 stalls with his car is loss of revenue for them while the other one is idle, so they should have an interest at monitoring this effectively and finding a solution down the road...

I suppose that might actually make sense for what is primarily a little city car. I don't think there is any way to tease the number with DC fast charging out of the government data. However Porsche + Mercedes is about 15,000 cars more or less replacing the Zoes in the numbers
it made sense when they launched it since there were not really any DC chargers. Not sure it made sense last year even for a city car. Not everyone in a city has a drive