Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About 42k. But they are still EVs. So to say the majority of EVs are Teslas is clearly wrong. If we are looking at EVs that could use Super chargers:

Tesla : 70k
Audi: e-Tron: 12500, Q4 e-Tron, 1,500, RS e-Tron GT: 150 = 14,000
BMW: i3: 22000, ix3: 900 = 22,000
Renault: Zoe 20000 = 20,000
Skoda: Enyaq: 1700 = 1,700
VW: ID3: 13000, ID4 3000, eGolf 7500, eUp 1000 = 24,500

There may be others but the list is not searchable by EVs so I'm having to manually select manufacturer and model. What this shows is that by opening up to non-Teslas there are now over twice as many cars that could be competing for the same number of superchargers

As a side note there appear to be 27,000 Renault Twizys registered in the UK. Who'd have thought that!

Edit to add more number in case people are interested
Polestar: 2: 3200
Hyundai: Ioniq 5: 2000

Numbers are 2021 Q3 so out of date a bit but I'd expect that the overall trend is similar?
I'm not going to ley you count all the ZOEs either as it's only the most recent that have CCS.

Without them in the mix your numbers come to 67.4K, so less than Tesla.

Clearly there are others, Ford MachE, e208, Mini, Honda etc so technically you are right in terms of numbers, but in terms of the question that was being answered it's simply not the case that there are more non-Tesla's that are likely to want to use SuperChargers, and we are simply not going to be swamped by other makes of car.

Does Tesla care? This is the company that sells cars filthy and without PDIs, with unsafe tyre pressures. I don’t think Tesla give a toss how Tesla owners are impacted by opening up their chargers. It’s about £. Nothing else.

And that's more or less how any company should be. I've no problem with that.

But disgruntled customers aren't repeat customers. And chaos at a Tesla supercharger, leads to people avoiding the superchargers. So they should be worried even if only to ensure they don't lose money.

Reactions: Durzel
What I really don't understand is how Tesla are going to monitor any of this. How are they going tell if people are parking over 2 or more bays? How are they going to know people are queuing? How are they going to know if people are being inconvenienced?
They are not, unless they have rangers or whatever pitching up to observe and takes notes.

As far as stats go, if they had 6 iPaces "using" 12 stalls, then it would simply appear that the site has only 50% saturation and there's room for plenty more, but physically it's full. More importantly, to Tesla owners navigating to those sites it would appear there's plenty of stalls left to charge on.. but there won't be.

Does Tesla care? This is the company that sells cars filthy and without PDIs, with unsafe tyre pressures. I don’t think Tesla give a toss how Tesla owners are impacted by opening up their chargers. It’s about £. Nothing else.
I don't think they particularly care. They aren't impacted by owners getting frustrated at SuCs. What can owners do? Vent to service centres who they can't contact directly anyway anymore? You might as well scream at the wall. The only thing likely to make any difference with this stuff is demand for their cars waning.

Reactions: Drew57
And that's more or less how any company should be. I've no problem with that.

But disgruntled customers aren't repeat customers. And chaos at a Tesla supercharger, leads to people avoiding the superchargers. So they should be worried even if only to ensure they don't lose money.
They've opened lots of other SuperChargers already, there hasn't been much 'chaos' to be seen. They are also only opening about 10% of UK SuperChargers which I would suggest were carefully selected.

Perhaps they are averting 'chaos' as Tesla sales continue to grow while they are prohibited from opening in future locations as the Government white paper suggested.

They are not, unless they have rangers or whatever pitching up to observe and takes notes.

As far as stats go, if they had 6 iPaces "using" 12 stalls, then it would simply appear that the site has only 50% saturation and there's room for plenty more, but physically it's full.

I don't think they particularly care. They aren't impacted by owners getting frustrated at SuCs. What can owners do? Vent to service centres who they can't contact directly anyway anymore? You might as well scream at the wall. The only thing likely to make any difference with this stuff is demand for their cars waning.
They already know when there are cars waiting near the SuperChargers.

As far as stats go, if they had 6 iPaces "using" 12 stalls, then it would simply appear that the site has only 50% saturation and there's room for plenty more, but physically it's full. More importantly, to Tesla owners navigating to those sites it would appear there's plenty of stalls left to charge on.. but there won't be.

6 ipaces wouldn't block all the slots unless they were *particularly* impolitely parked. If parked well, 1-x non-teslas would only block 1 additional tesla spot from a tesla (or other car with nearside port)

I recognise we are living in very difficult and stressful times, and people are on edge. But it seems to me that a lot of people are predicting disaster before we have given it a chance to see, in reality, what the impact is. If this helps at all with a faster rollout of more Supercharging locations I can imagine it being a net positive.

Reactions: tsh2
I recognise we are living in very difficult and stressful times, and people are on edge. But it seems to me that a lot of people are predicting disaster before we have given it a chance to see, in reality, what the impact is. If this helps at all with a faster rollout of more Supercharging locations I can imagine it being a net positive.
I believe it’s because the Supercharger network exclusivity was one of the best USPs of Tesla, and it probably had a relative weight when in came to purchasing decision. As this is a forum of Tesla owners, it’s understandable that this decision is making people feel like an added benefit of their car is being taken away.
I’ve seen queues at SuC around the summer holiday period last year, and they were only Teslas. If we now add all other brands, given that they haven’t exactly doubled capacity in the same time, I’m dreading what it’s gonna be like this summer…

Reactions: ArunG and Durzel
of course Teslas are probably doing the majority of DC fast charging since people who want to do long journeys gravitate to them for all the reason we know.

To put things into perspective, Tesla may be the largest provider of DC charging but it only represents around 12 per cent of the available hardware (stats from ZapMap). Plenty of other networks are available and are being used. In fact, the likes of InstaVolt are not far off overtaking Tesla as the biggest provider. The idea that everyone is suddenly going to switch and swamp superchargers doesn’t stack up. It’s more likely the case that Tesla needs to attract other EVs to sustain and grow the supercharger network.

I believe it’s because the Supercharger network exclusivity was one of the best USPs of Tesla, and it probably had a relative weight when in came to purchasing decision. As this is a forum of Tesla owners, it’s understandable that this decision is making people feel like an added benefit of their car is being taken away.
I’ve seen queues at SuC around the summer holiday period last year, and they were only Teslas. If we now add all other brands, given that they haven’t exactly doubled capacity in the same time, I’m dreading what it’s gonna be like this summer…
People will be flying out to other countries more this summer than any other summer. Last year was an exception because of Covid.

Personally I don’t agree with opening up SuC to other brands because we paid a lot of money to buy that infrastructure - may be around £10000 - if you roughly split the battery tech & car body shell £20000, AI without FSD (including inventor fees) £10000 and the other luxury features £5000-8000. What I mean is the car on its own without the SuC infrastructure will cost only £35000-38000.

Wondering now once the SuC exclusivity is removed will Tesla reduce the price? Tweet, tweet, tweet Elon

can they now update the satnav with better routing options to non-SCs? would be nice to include eg 4+ stall gridserve/ionity/MFG etc sites as options

This presumably also helps them along the road to opening more sites in locations that will get DNO funding and power delivery which should help us all out
I actually saw, the other night in the satnav, some non-tesla chargers. not sure if satnav will drive through them, but it was option there.

Imagining a (silly?) conflict scenario, what would you all do here...

Say there were 3 supercharger spaces in a row available, I'd normally go for the middle one, plugging in on the passenger side of course.

Then say a different EV turned up with driver-side charging, they wouldn't be able to use either the 2 remaining spaces, but pulls in to space 3. They then tap on your window and ask you to move over to space 1 and connect up while they use space 3 connected up to the charger from space 2 ...

1. Would you move the car so that they can charge too (Team EV) or
2. Would you refuse to move because doing so would block a space and that should be discouraged (Team Tesla) or
3. Would you refuse to move because "it's a bit of a cheek to ask a Tesla driver to move Tesla supercharger so that a non-Tesla driver can block a space that I paid for when purchasing my expensive Tesla" (Team Disgruntled)? ;)

I'm sure the situation wont happen, but if faced with being asked to move to help another EV driver I probably would, unless I was about to leave anyway. Any thoughts?

To put things into perspective, Tesla may be the largest provider of DC charging but it only represents around 12 per cent of the available hardware (stats from ZapMap). Plenty of other networks are available and are being used. In fact, the likes of InstaVolt are not far off overtaking Tesla as the biggest provider. The idea that everyone is suddenly going to switch and swamp superchargers doesn’t stack up. It’s more likely the case that Tesla needs to attract other EVs to sustain and grow the supercharger network.
Instavolt are certainly a good network but they are mainly 2 chargers in KFC carparks at present not 12 on the motorway. I have never been in a situation where it was more convenient to go to an instavolt on a road trip than use the SuC network. They don't have a lot of banks of 8-16 chargers on major highways which is where a lot of people want to do their fast charging. both for location and for the security of knowing there will be working chargers and probably less congestion. So if you think opened up superchargers on motorways would not attract a lot of non Tesla's irrespective of price I have to say I think you are mistaken. And until there are a lot more similar options I don't think that will change.

Reactions: ArunG
Imagining a (silly?) conflict scenario, what would you all do here...

Say there were 3 supercharger spaces in a row available, I'd normally go for the middle one, plugging in on the passenger side of course.

Then say a different EV turned up with driver-side charging, they wouldn't be able to use either the 2 remaining spaces, but pulls in to space 3. They then tap on your window and ask you to move over to space 1 and connect up while they use space 3 connected up to the charger from space 2 ...

1. Would you move the car so that they can charge too (Team EV) or
2. Would you refuse to move because doing so would block a space and that should be discouraged (Team Tesla) or
3. Would you refuse to move because "it's a bit of a cheek to ask a Tesla driver to move Tesla supercharger so that a non-Tesla driver can block a space that I paid for when purchasing my expensive Tesla" (Team Disgruntled)? ;)

I'm sure the situation wont happen, but if faced with being asked to move to help another EV driver I probably would, unless I was about to leave anyway. Any thoughts?
I would not move. I would say I will move when I finished charging.