Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Instavolt are certainly a good network but they are mainly 2 chargers in KFC carparks at present not 12 on the motorway. I have never been in a situation where it was more convenient to go to an instavolt on a road trip than use the SuC network. They don't have a lot of banks of 8-16 chargers on major highways which is where a lot of people want to do their fast charging. both for location and for the security of knowing there will be working chargers and probably less congestion. So if you think opened up superchargers on motorways would not attract a lot of non Tesla's irrespective of price I have to say I think you are mistaken. And until there are a lot more similar options I don't think that will change.
You haven't been to Banbury on the M40 then, one of the sites Tesla are opening. 16 bays of Instavolt are nearest to the Motorway, with a Costa next to them. Tesla are further away in a retail park, where there is also a 6 bay Osprey site in the same car park.

Or Greys/Thurrock SuperCharger that's just round the corner from the 12 x 350 KW Gridserve Chargers.

You haven't been to Banbury on the M40 then, one of the sites Tesla are opening. 16 bays of Instavolt are nearest to the Motorway, with a Costa next to them. Tesla are further away in a retail park, where there is also a 6 bay Osprey site in the same car park.

Or Greys/Thurrock SuperCharger that's just round the corner from the 12 x 350 KW Gridserve Chargers.
I haven't but I did say "mainly" that is the exception at present and when there are a lot more like that on or near motorways none of this will be an issue anymore I hope.
I wish Zapmap had a "show me sites with X or more chargers" option the way ABRP does so it would be easier to identity where the big hubs are

Instavolt are certainly a good network but they are mainly 2 chargers in KFC carparks at present not 12 on the motorway. I have never been in a situation where it was more convenient to go to an instavolt on a road trip than use the SuC network. They don't have a lot of banks of 8-16 chargers on major highways which is where a lot of people want to do their fast charging. both for location and for the security of knowing there will be working chargers and probably less congestion. So if you think opened up superchargers on motorways would not attract a lot of non Tesla's irrespective of price I have to say I think you are mistaken. And until there are a lot more similar options I don't think that will change.
Plenty of banks of four and six around, plus they are often in clusters. I use them ahead of superchargers if convenient. The general point though is that lots of hubs are appearing. There are 62 hubs of four or more ultra rapid chargepoints outside the Tesla network (which has 98). There are at least as many in construction or known to be at the planning stage. Only this week a 30-plus hub off the M40 at the NEC gained planning permission. There are so many in the offing it's hard to keep up.

I recognise we are living in very difficult and stressful times, and people are on edge. But it seems to me that a lot of people are predicting disaster before we have given it a chance to see, in reality, what the impact is. If this helps at all with a faster rollout of more Supercharging locations I can imagine it being a net positive.
Agreed, not all sites are available for non-Tesla charging for a start.

I had a search in the app around the sites on route for the last long run we did and this is how they stacked up:
  1. Washington - no
  2. Adderstone - yes
  3. Edinburgh airport - no
  4. Edinburgh newbridge - no
  5. Perth - no
  6. Aviemore - yes
  7. Inverness - no
On the face of it we're not in for too much disruption at the moment.

Lets admit there will be some tesla owners who dont want to brush shoulders with non Tesla owners
Of course, we’ve paid extra £10000 for the unparalleled charger network that most legacy carmakers are envious of!

It is like you buy a first class ticket from NY to Paris route and then the airline randomly allow all passengers to use the lounge facility and the special queue b’cos the government doesn’t want to give more space for the first class ticket holders - as somehow the environmental impact needed to be shared by everyone or something along those lines - you get the drift!

Reactions: Tonyf and WllXM
Isn't it about time that other manufacturers of EVs put their money where their mouth is and started investing in charging infrastructure? You'd think a massive manfacturer like Volkswagen group would be popping up chargers all over the place but nope!

Reactions: NewbieT
Isn't it about time that other manufacturers of EVs put their money where their mouth is and started investing in charging infrastructure? You'd think a massive manfacturer like Volkswagen group would be popping up chargers all over the place but nope!
They’re doing this by banding up through Ionity ’ and give significant charging discounts to their customers

• Informative
Reactions: Neilio
Elon summed it up... They don't even sell or service the cars, they leave it to the dealer franchise network. They are not interested in regional infrastructure. Just finance and manufacture.

Of course, we’ve paid extra £10000 for the unparalleled charger network that most legacy carmakers are envious of!

It is like you buy a first class ticket from NY to Paris route and then the airline randomly allow all passengers to use the lounge facility and the special queue b’cos the government doesn’t want to give more space for the first class ticket holders - as somehow the environmental impact needed to be shared by everyone or something along those lines - you get the drift!

we didn’t though. For many, the SR+ was a £39k car with the original government grant and does close to 200 miles on a charge. recent RWD is £42k which is on par with many of the standard competition of a similar size/class (so not city cars) and does 220 miles with easy top ups, heat pump and a lot of tech that costs extra on other cars. Its it more expensive (especially the LR now) but the base model is well specced and not that much more than a lot of its competition

Just remind me how many Ionity sites/chargers there are in the UK again…

I think that's a bit of an unfair comment, firstly this is about the European market not just the UK and secondTesla have something like a nine year head start on Ionity.

Yes, Ionity don't have a very big presence in the UK right now but two years after the Model S became available in the UK there was only 584 worldwide and there are three times that number of Ionity chargers in Europe two years after VW launched the ID.3.

If you stop to think about it, there's no sense at all in every vehicle manufacturer building their own network for their own cars because it's going to take too much time and money. It does make some sense for them to partner with networks to allow faster spread and provide cheaper rates for their buyers, though.

Reactions: WllXM
The Ionity JV represents 7 brands (6 more than Tesla 😉). If Ionity were actually building out sites I’d say fair enough. Ionity are building well 2 sites. Stafford 171 days and counting, plus Magor started more recently. So you can have a manufacturer discount - if you can find a charger. It’s a joke.

In a lot of ways it would make sense to standardise the position of the charge port. I suspect it probably just a bit too late now. (I guess there could be a similar argument for ICE cars, but I suppose with the way petrol stations are laid-out, it’s an advantage to have a mix of drivers/passengers-side fuelling).