Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some drama at the Cardiff superchargers this morning. An older gentleman in a Model S took offense to a Polestar 2 driver using one of the chargers, to the point where he went over and asked him "what he thought he was doing". Polestar owner tried to explain that its been opened up, etc etc. but he was having none of it. Ended up having to diffuse the situation and show the Model S owner the info on the Tesla website (and via the app) but he wasn't happy at all. Dumb thing was there were only 3 of us there so plenty of stalls available.
Also the Polestar has the charger port on the right side, which is the left side. So it wasn't taking up an extra bay

• Funny
Reactions: Mrklaw
CCS, last time I read the spec, does support plug and charge, with secure authorisation directly via the car with no human involvement, other than plugging in. So there is likely to be some information Tesla can get from the car that maybe useful to them for this trial even if not using plug and charge as per ISO 15118. Something like a PID/VID might be in there.
Just watched an out of spec motoring video where they said as much. the Taycan can plug and charge at certain sights. Sadly he had a press car that wasn't able to demonstrate it

CCS, last time I read the spec, does support plug and charge, with secure authorisation directly via the car with no human involvement, other than plugging in. So there is likely to be some information Tesla can get from the car that maybe useful to them for this trial even if not using plug and charge as per ISO 15118. Something like a PID/VID might be in there.
Yes, they would get a VIN, but my point was that matching that VIN to a collection of all 3rd party models that would have a charging port in the right (well rear left) place would be quite tricky and requiring to compile the mother of all databases.
Especially given the lack of consistency even within a single manufacturer : e.g : Hyundai : CCS in front of the Kona, rear left on the Ioniq ; rear right of the Ioniq5...

Last edited:
Can't really blame the drivers, Tesla opened up the network to all and they are paying for their charge. Tesla were well aware of this before they started the trials, to me it would of made sense to fit longer cables to all trial locations before opening them, they're going to have to do something eventually anyway they cant leave the chargers open like this long term, they have to put in a solution so all cars can charge from the correct charger for their parking bay.

For those saying the other cars blocking isn’t an issue because there are other spaces free; yes, true but this is just a trial in some quiet Superchargers. This will not be the case when the trial is over and they open them all up.

I hate to think what busy ones like Scotch Corner or Washington will look like.

I wonder how much longer the cable would need to be to allow the car to be parked face first in the ‘correct’ bay. Probably not much. Although a longer cable might cause other ergonomic issues such as people leaving them just lying on the ground if they don’t easily hook back up again. As mentioned in the past, the old petrol pump style may have some mileage in it again.

Reactions: init6
I wonder how much longer the cable would need to be to allow the car to be parked face first in the ‘correct’ bay. Probably not much. Although a longer cable might cause other ergonomic issues such as people leaving them just lying on the ground if they don’t easily hook back up again. As mentioned in the past, the old petrol pump style may have some mileage in it again.
Depends also on how the tombstones are oriented wrt the bays. As you know there is quite a large variation how these are positioned depending on the SuC site.

So I think its a case of potentially longer cables AND optimal positioning of the tombstones.

Reactions: mdunc and MrBadger
I’m fairly sure Bjorn demonstrated that you can press the button on a supercharger handle and it will both end the session and cause a non-Tesla to eject the cable, even when locked. I’m not sure if that was one model or if there is something in the CCS standard that was causing this behaviour.

Not that I would at all condone unplugging cars which are actually charging but should you find another EV blocking the bay and not charging, you might actually be able to remove it and use it.

I’m fairly sure Bjorn demonstrated that you can press the button on a supercharger handle and it will both end the session and cause a non-Tesla to eject the cable, even when locked. I’m not sure if that was one model or if there is something in the CCS standard that was causing this behaviour.

Not that I would at all condone unplugging cars which are actually charging but should you find another EV blocking the bay and not charging, you might actually be able to remove it and use it.
That would be hilarious

Though this is not parked inappropriately (if this is one of the opened Superchargers) as the owner has no choice, and there are several alternatives for Teslas, 2 stalls have nevertheless been made unavailable rather than 1... which unfortunate but inevitable. I don't know if you may want to post with a comment to the photo thread at: Photos of inappropriate UK Supercharger usage

only one - the bay to the left - is unavailble unless I'm missing something? The other is in use by the BMW. The bay to the right of the BMW is available for a Tesla.