Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a MIC M3 (cost around £43000) with build quality not as bad as the early Fremont ones but if you compare the build quality and materials and ride with the Audi Q4etron (more or less same price bracket but a hatchback version - the base model) it is no way near. As I mentioned in my other post I’ll give the battery tech & the shell £20000, AI another £10000, other luxuries around £6000-8000. The rest I pay for the charging network. Now if everything is equal (my local super charger is one among the 15 which I am not happy with) I would expect Tesla to reduce the price so that we are not disadvantaged!

Tesla's FAQ about this says that other makes will be charged more because of the additional administration costs associated with supporting them.

Still, Tesla SuC currently come up as cheaper than Ionity for 3rd party vehicles. They should price them at least on par to avoid this.
Yeah, but Ionity aren't really the only competition - I think we got bogged down there because a few manufacturers have partnered with them, but in any case they will be cheaper for someone driving one of those partner cars (VW/Audi/etc).

GridServe are currently 11p/kWh cheaper at top whack than the non-subscription SuC costs.

It's too early to be sure, but my guess is that where there are nearby alternatives then most non-Tesla drivers will go there instead, although there may be some initial pain where the SuC is maybe a lot faster.

I expect that for most people the SuC network will be an expensive comfort blanket for use in an emergency - like Ionity is for me.

Reactions: WllXM
Just had my first charging session at a Tesla SuC, no inappropriate bay use by me, I'm so glad Honda positioned the charge port front and centre! 🙂
PXL_20220520_221237291.NIGHT.jpg

I wonder how much longer the cable would need to be to allow the car to be parked face first in the ‘correct’ bay.

I'm not sure that will be the whole answer ...

If you try to use cable from wrong-stall for a Tesla it of course won't reach. So you naturally use the one on the passenger side.

If cable was longer will people always use the one from the passenger side? I can imagine that people (non-Teslas, maybe even Teslas!) will use driver-side one if more convenient, even if longer ...

I suppose that could easy be solved with some road-paint indicating which charger goes with which parking bay.

I'm not sure that will be the whole answer ...

If you try to use cable from wrong-stall for a Tesla it of course won't reach. So you naturally use the one on the passenger side.

If cable was longer will people always use the one from the passenger side? I can imagine that people (non-Teslas, maybe even Teslas!) will use driver-side one if more convenient, even if longer ...

I suppose that could easy be solved with some road-paint indicating which charger goes with which parking bay.
If it was long enough to reach a Tesla parked forward in the wrong bay then it becomes irrelevant since we can use both sides.

Depends also on how the tombstones are oriented wrt the bays. As you know there is quite a large variation how these are positioned depending on the SuC site.

So I think its a case of potentially longer cables AND optimal positioning of the tombstones.
This sounds reasonable. But I would also add to the list more capacity.

Relocate tombstones.
Add longer cables.
Add more capacity.

The trial will provide data on what makes most sense. Those 3 options could resolve most needs, either individually or in combination at any given existing site.

Relocating tombstones into a side configuration will minimise any extra cable required.

Let's face it even with just Tesla's, the SuC need to expand dramatically over the next few years, so will likely look very different in a few years time anyway. We are still at the start of all of this. So if Tesla are planning a significant expansion then they will have data from the trial going forward and likely future SuC sites will look different.

Reactions: MarkThisDay
Am seven months into my waiting list for a Taycan Turbo, so any photos of one successfully hooked up front-end in to a SC bay would be helpful 😇

Technically in that photo they’ve parked across the bays (not nice at all) but thanks 😂.

Still unsure why they put 2 charge ports on the car but only put CCS on one - unless there is some techical limit/reason…other than saving a few quid.

Technically in that photo they’ve parked across the bays (not nice at all) but thanks 😂.

Still unsure why they put 2 charge ports on the car but only put CCS on one - unless there is some techical limit/reason…other than saving a few quid.
There's no other way for a Taycan as far as I can see. The charging port is still too far away for the short cables if parked nose in. Some Tesla stalls have a side-on position and that would be possible but they are presently a rarity less common in the UK.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkThisDay