Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So for non Teslas it’s more expensive per KW or £10.99 a month. It says that Tesla will monitor it. I think the £10.99 a month will put some off.

We charge at home for the majority of our driving so this will impact commuters much more than me. Hopefully, the extra revenue will mean more Tesla Superchargers in holiday destinations like Newquay and Wales.

Anecdotally, so far Cardiff seems to be a likely spot for an actual instance of someone having to queue due to a free stall being inaccessible as a result of non-Teslas using adjacent bays. There’s a picture on TOUK of a Tesla, Audi and BMW all charging at the same time. Adjacent bays aren’t pictured but if unused then 5 stalls would be “available” but only 4 accessible. I think this is how the brave new world is meant to work, I.e. there’s no suggestion the two non-Teslas are doing anything wrong by using an adjacent space due to the position of their charging port.
Not worth asking permission to post the pic here as there’s no evidence anyone had to wait but it does sound like a number of non Teslas have visited to test out the newly available chargers.
At least this site, being a Service Centre, has Tesla staff on site during working hours & I’m sure they’ll be made aware of any queueing issues should they arise…

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
So for non Teslas it’s more expensive per KW or £10.99 a month. It says that Tesla will monitor it. I think the £10.99 a month will put some off.

We charge at home for the majority of our driving so this will impact commuters much more than me. Hopefully, the extra revenue will mean more Tesla Superchargers in holiday destinations like Newquay and Wales.
Charging users even if they are not charging. No pun intended lol

Anecdotally, so far Cardiff seems to be a likely spot for an actual instance of someone having to queue due to a free stall being inaccessible as a result of non-Teslas using adjacent bays. There’s a picture on TOUK of a Tesla, Audi and BMW all charging at the same time. Adjacent bays aren’t pictured but if unused then 5 stalls would be “available” but only 4 accessible. I think this is how the brave new world is meant to work, I.e. there’s no suggestion the two non-Teslas are doing anything wrong by using an adjacent space due to the position of their charging port.
Not worth asking permission to post the pic here as there’s no evidence anyone had to wait but it does sound like a number of non Teslas have visited to test out the newly available chargers.
At least this site, being a Service Centre, has Tesla staff on site during working hours & I’m sure they’ll be made aware of any queueing issues should they arise…

Were the BMW and Audi using adjacent bays? Thats where I could see some arguments starting - if non-teslas park away from each other, each blocking a bay so the availability drops rapidly - two cars block 4 bays. By parking adjacent, ‘wrong’ cars will only ever block one additional bay no matter how many turn up, which is much more reasonable

Reactions: MrBadger
There must be some mild irony in opening up the SC network in order to benefit all EV users, but in so doing certainly potentially making the self same network overall less efficient.
How will it make it less efficient? The trials in Europe were successful. I haven’t seen any posts from owners complaining about inefficiency.

Tesla have stated that they will monitor it.

They’re also the only ones that I know that charge penalties for leaving it plugged in. The times that I’ve been with a friend at non Tesla SUC and someone has left their car plugged in when it’s charged.

I’m all for it. The more people buying an EV the more investment in SUC in places that we need them.

Tesla is more than a car manufacturer they’re heavily invested in energy.

Reactions: KennethS
Chap over at the Taycan Forum charging at Grays on Friday morning…

CCS charge port on UK models is on the opposite side of the car to US/European models.

Attachments

• D200E9C0-C4D0-44BA-BD6B-B3E92439CF20.jpeg
    D200E9C0-C4D0-44BA-BD6B-B3E92439CF20.jpeg
    298.8 KB · Views: 80
  • CF70A542-3E3D-47A7-B5B9-4F5F208B35D5.jpeg
    CF70A542-3E3D-47A7-B5B9-4F5F208B35D5.jpeg
    699.4 KB · Views: 55
How will it make it less efficient? The trials in Europe were successful.
He means because you will never be able to get the max number of cars the site is designed for all charging at once since some bays will always be blocked. In theory only 1 bay should ever be to totally unusable But in the worst case. 8 ID3 s could make a 16 Bay supercharger unusable for a Tesla or visa versa if evenly spaced.

He means because you will never be able to get the max number of cars the site is designed for all charging at once since some bays will always be blocked. In theory only 1 bay should ever be to totally unusable But in the worst case. 8 ID3 s could make a 16 Bay supercharger unusable for a Tesla or visa versa if evenly spaced.
I wasn’t aware of that. I suppose also Tesla can’t manage the non Tesla’s heading to a SUC like they can with a Tesla. No routing to a quieter charger. Scotland has a reliable charging network which is good as the nearest Tesla SUC is an hour away from me.

Reactions: MarkThisDay